PDA

View Full Version : my 09 spike buck

betteroffishing
02-14-2010, 08:37 PM
day 7 of 10 in 8-6 with my dad , brother , and a freind and we hadnt seen a thing for shootable game . on our way back from one of our favorite routes through the area we had this little guy , and his little brother chase a pair of does across the road . dad stopped the truck and i hopped out to see if i could get a glimpse of them through the jack pine forrest that they disapeared into , jumped one of the does but didnt see hide nor hair of either of the bucks so i jumped back into the dry warm truck and we exchanged our " next time you'll get him son " , " yeah , i know i will " glances and headed on our way . a couple klicks down the road i became overwhelmed with this feeling of self loathing so intense i thought i was gonna puke and all of a sudden without much of a plan in my mind i asked dad to stop the truck and let me out , i was going to back track and find this buck or at least expend some energy trying , after ensuring i was wearing wool and had my compass on me my dad left and was going to return to pick me up sometime near dark , it was noon , so great ive got 6 hour or so to kill . i travelled a game trail that led to a heavilly forrested bluff and what should i hear but pounding hooves , actually very light bass sounds but thats pounding hooves once you mix in some adrenaline so i crouched to one knee and took aim at the sound . one doe , two does , BUCK , HOLY SH_T THERES HORNS , safety off then boom . the shot was a quartering to shot so not exactly best case scenario , but at 15 feet , a clean kill was made , dressed him where he lay, then dragged him to the roadside and draped my sweat drenched clothes over him , all this and it was only 1:00 , still 4-5 hours to kill. small deer , but big experience . this was my first non road hunt harvest , and it felt great.

betteroffishing
02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
cant seem to add photo , but its a spike so no big deal , but if you wish to view my 09 buck you can see it in our gallery , for some reason my computer wont let me move it to this post . sorry

KB90
02-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Here yah go. Nice buck.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/PA170097.JPG

chainsaw
02-14-2010, 09:01 PM
good for you man nice buck

elkdom
02-14-2010, 09:11 PM
congratz!:), next stop the BBQ!:wink:

next time try get a bit closer, the muzzel blast will take the hide off,

saves you skinning him,,,:cool:

hunter1947
02-15-2010, 05:42 AM
Congrats on getting this fine deer..

kennyj
02-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Tough hunting this year. Thats a great deer taken it the timber.Congratulations.
kenny

betteroffishing
02-15-2010, 08:59 AM
thanks kyle for posting pics and thanks all for your comments , " the muzzle blast will take the hide off " thats some funny sh-t. btw , this was harvested just after thanksgiving. i sat on the story so long cause i knew it would fill some of the winter doldrums space better than getting lost in with all the other harvests being reported durring the season , who else out there has pics and a story that their sitting on ?? martyonthewater ?? come on share us your deuce story and pic . how many more days till bear opens in 2?

OutWest
02-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Nice buck man. The first one is the most memorable imo and a great experience to boot!

betteroffishing
02-16-2010, 07:29 AM
important to note this was not my first deer , it was my first tracked / still hunted deer.

Caribou_lou
02-16-2010, 09:56 AM
great story. Good feeling when you get rewarded for your efforts.

bbmhunter
02-16-2010, 07:29 PM
way to go . nice spike

mwj
02-16-2010, 07:38 PM
betteroffishing!
way to go!!!!
i don't know about everyone else but for me "tracking one down in the timber" always feels more rewarding. keep it up!!!!
mark

martyonthewater
02-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Sure was nice pulling up in the truck and loading it up for ya lol, felt pretty good for you that day, now I'm back to petty and resentfull :twisted: . I'll follow your lead and post up the duece when there's an offical road hunting forum created lol.