PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Smoked Trout Recipe?

Franko Manini
02-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Folks,

Looking for a good recipe for smoked trout. I've got a new-2-me Bradley I'm dying to try out, and a good amount of trout on hand.

What do you suggest?

tomahawk
02-14-2010, 05:01 PM
I prefer a dry brine.

1 C of Brown Sugar
1/3 C of coarse salt
2 Tbsp Lemon Pepper
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Paprika

Soak over night at least or a couple nights if you can, then rinse and smoke. Make a mix of honey and lemon juice (to your liking) and baste after first smoke.

4blade
02-14-2010, 08:36 PM
check out the bradley smoker website .they have an online forum with lots of tasty morsels.enjoy your smoker they are pretty sweet

Dirty
02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Meat that is thinner, line trout requires less brining time. Usually only do it over night then smoke the next morning. Make sure to rinse it so it isn't too salty.

Usually use a dry brine of demerara brown sugar and coarse salt. 4 sugar to 1 salt. Sometimes I adjust it depending on desired taste or thickness of meat.

The smoker chips add different flavors too. Usually find that apple and cherry add sweetness, whereas alder and hickory add saltiness.

Franko Manini
02-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Meat that is thinner, line trout requires less brining time. Usually only do it over night then smoke the next morning. Make sure to rinse it so it isn't too salty.

Usually use a dry brine of demerara brown sugar and coarse salt. 4 sugar to 1 salt. Sometimes I adjust it depending on desired taste or thickness of meat.

The smoker chips add different flavors too. Usually find that apple and cherry add sweetness, whereas alder and hickory add saltiness.
What are your smoking times and temps like?

Husky7mm
02-15-2010, 01:59 PM
What are your smoking times and temps like?

Dont bring temp past 140deg or you will cook them fast,Depending on the size of the trout 4-6 hours max.

goatdancer
02-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Be careful with the smoking times, especially for the smaller, thinner fish. If you over smoke, it will taste like crap.

Bobber
02-15-2010, 08:18 PM
salt
jack D
sprite

duckhunt
02-15-2010, 09:25 PM
this is a very simple recipe that i learned from mary the owner of nimpo lake resort it is just brown sugar and salt but i dont know what wood she uses for the smoking.

moose hide
03-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Franko , start off with 1 quart of water, 1/3 cup of coarse salt, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar. this is your starting point. and all you really need. 2 to 4 hours in the brine. if your brining longer or over night go with a little less salt. i like to add crushed garlic, sweet basil. i also have taken pickling spice and run it through a grinder so its like pepper, put is in a shaker , after your fish are on the rack give your fish a little sprinkle. if you have a sweet tooth mix maple syrip with brown sugar to make a paste or slurry. just before the fish is done-like 30 min. before. take a brush and give your fish a paint job. this is how you candy them up.puts a glaze on them.
i've done a lot of fish and the kids will come from miles around for a chunk,the guys AT work suck it back. play by these rules and adjust the recipes to your own taste.
makes for better tasting fish with 2 to 3 pans of alder wood chips only. apple or cherry work good as well. 110-120 degree's
when you think your fish need another 30 min. thats when you take them out or i find they are over done.

good luck, i hope this helps all you smoke fish eaters out there.
MOOSE HIDE

eaglesnester
03-26-2010, 08:42 AM
I did a batch of rainbow last season. They were the best smoked fish I ever put my mouth on. Nothen fancey just brown suger and Kosher salt brine and a wet cold smoke for about 12 hours. I did not bother to skin em or cut off the heads. All I did was gut em and clean out the cavity then I brined them and finally smoked the trout. Leaving the skin intact worked out very nice. The fish were moist and super greasy with lots of faty omega 3.