PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's weekend Spring goose hunt 2010

Marc
02-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Having my wife on Vacation on the east coast it was a good opportunity to get out and do some hunting. Gary Babcock was down from Cranbrook visiting and wanted to get out and see what it was all about hunting geese on the Island.

Yesterday we set up in a green field with a dozen silhouettes, the first birds of the day where a pair of geese which Gary managed to take both of them with just one shot. It was quite the thing to see, he made some remark after the shot about not liking to waste shells, time to get the shovel out I think.:mrgreen: Marshall made short work of gathering both birds as he was chomping at the bit to make a retrieve after sitting for an hours or so of nothing flying.

We then had two pairs of birds come in just minutes apart, two birds dropped dead and two others sailed back into the woods behind us. Field Marshal took the dog into the woods to try and locate the two cripples. From the blind, a minute or two later, we could hear the goose honking frantically as Marshall was on the scent trail and getting closer to the bird finally the dog caught the birds movement and was on him like a shot.

The dog ended up recovering both geese that went into the heavy cover, we more then likely would have lost them without the dog.

We had one more pair of birds come over us and Gary popped one and I missed the other. The dog was eager to make the retrieve and I hollered out to Gary, "where is the bird you dropped" he said "out front somewhere", just then I heard something in the tree about 20 feet up and here was the goose trying to get down.:mrgreen: He managed to get out of the tree but not far before Marshall was on top of him.

We didn't shoot a limit of birds that morning but had a great time out just the same. That evening the boys plucked the geese and Field Marshal Roasted up a goose for the boys for supper. It was a great meal and some great company.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Gary_Marc_Marshall.jpg

This morning we decided to try another field we had been having success in pretty much all season. We decided to take the silhouettes, the dozen Dakota's and some shells to see if we could manage to suck some of the geese that were flying from point A to point B. Well crap, we had a huge flock of about a 100 geese land in a field further down and it was like a black hole sucking in every flock of geese that came into site. I'd say there had to be 500+ geese in that field by the end of it. There where Greater, Lesser, Cacklers, and we even saw two snow geese in the mix.

We had one lonely Greater who was looking for some companionship and we managed to sucker it in close enough before it noticed or heard the flock of geese in the field next door. Gary took the shot, the bird hit the ground, and Marshall was ecstatic that he had something to go fetch. The dog was starting to get frigidity with lots of ducks flying and couldn't understand why we weren't shooting. We only had one bird today but it was a great morning with lots of ducks and geese flying just the birds didn't have any interest in the field we were in.

Oh, I hear the wife upstairs time to spend some time with the misses :mrgreen:.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Gary_with_Goose.jpg

Crazy_Farmer
02-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Nice hunt. Looks wet, if we get anymore rain here I'll be able to put my boat in the field and paddle around lol.

longshot
02-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey Marc and Fieldmarshal,

Looks like you guys had some fun out there! We got out today hoping for some more good luck. We set up just like we did on wed. but the geese were on a mission all morning and couldn't care less about the spread/my calling. Lots of birds around though so that's good. I brought my gun along but didn't shoot because my arm hurt quite a bit. I was able to coach in one flock though for dad and he got 2 out of that... so we did have some luck. :wink: Anthony was too tired this a.m to get up and come out with us... maybe next time.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN0103.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18248&size=big&cat=500)

(Hmmm.... I think 'someone' needs a haircut... :-D)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN0102.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18247&size=big&cat=500)

Good luck guys!!
Longshot Junior

Marc
02-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Nice hunt. Looks wet, if we get anymore rain here I'll be able to put my boat in the field and paddle around lol.

It didn't rain much while we were out hunting but the ground was definitely wet. In the first picture I was covered in mud from the dog wanting to play as he was getting bored at the first part of the morning. I didn't realize how much mud I had on me until I got home and took off my jacket.

Hey Marc and Fieldmarshal,

Looks like you guys had some fun out there! We got out today hoping for some more good luck. We set up just like we did on wed. but the geese were on a mission all morning and couldn't care less about the spread/my calling.

Longshot Junior

Lots of birds around just have to figure out what they want. Hoping to figure that out by next weekend.

.308win
02-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Sounds like an awesome huntin trip Marc!!!.....Beauty pics as will!!.....Quite the gift from the missus!!!!:mrgreen::wink: Sadly I didn't get to do any hunting for valintines!.......But the wife did take it upon herself last week to get "US" a suround sound system for valintines!!!:mrgreen:

Perry

Kirby
02-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Looks like a good hunt! Another 14 days for me till seasons open.

Tanya
02-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Good deal Marc! Don't ya just hate it when they all go to the field next door, grrrrrrrr!! Last season goose hunting can be that way.

LS Jr., yes, your Dad needs a hair cut. Yours is fine.

f0rbidden
02-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Can wait till someone takes me out for some goose! Don't think Boundary Bay has any