PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinders

Centerfire
02-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Hi everyone,

Here's a noob question coming from a noob:

Are rangefinders a worthwhile purchase or are they just another piece of tech gear to have to drag around with you? So far I rifle hunt and shotgun hunt but am thinking of picking up a crossbow at some point.

If they are worth it, which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

-Centerfire

mikeinajeep
02-13-2010, 10:31 PM
I think you NEED a rangefinder for a crossbow. Which one to get is a buget thing. I have a bushnell Elite 1500 and it has never failed me in anyway, but it was only $400 ish and some people on here like to tell others to buy $2500 rangefinders for some unknowen reason.

MikeH
02-13-2010, 10:41 PM
get on you can use for arrow/bolt,rifle.

digger dogger
02-13-2010, 11:02 PM
get a good one. i paid 6oo for my leica. both guys i hunt with have bushnell. to many buttons for me! one says the only good thing about his bushnell, is the warranty, broke down twice. the other says the ballistics on his is way off. simple is better, get what u can afford!
2500 for a rf? must be a swarovski scope with a rf built in?

Drillbit
02-14-2010, 12:06 AM
leica 1200. 530 at cameraland NY.
Simple to use, lightweight, good optics.

Nice to have after the shot for rifle hunting, but a must have for arrows (bolts). I find i use mine a lot instead of carrying binos because it is less bulky.

.330 Dakota
02-14-2010, 01:36 AM
I have a Leica CRF 1200 and I love it. I have got readings of 1135 yards on hair (cows in field).
I paid $729.00 Canadian at Cabela's Canada (old S.I.R) which will translate from the $530.00 mentioned in a previous post when you add shipping and currency conversion etc. I looked at the Bushnell stuff and did a side by side comparison of the 1500 Elite to the Leica.
The Bushnell didnt seem as consistant and really would not range much over 600 yards on most reflective targets. I know some guys that have the Bushnell and say they are great but the one I tested didnt measure up to the Leica at all.
Also the Leica drops nicely into your shirt pocket...a big plus.

mikeinajeep
02-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Not to be an ass but "would not range much over 600 yards" does not seem to usefull with a crossbow or anything else really.

Bow Walker
02-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Try out a few in the stores. Buy one within your budget. Get one that gives you some sort of Angle Compensation Technology.

I've had a couple and am looking to upgrade. I'd not buy one that gives me any more than 5 x magnification. Anything higher and it makes it too hard to acquire the target quickly when you bring it up to your eye in a hunting situation.

In a hunting situation you'll be using it one-handed and holding a bow/crossbow/rifle in the other hand. Doesn't make for a steady platform for ranging a target.

The higher magnification(s), coupled with the small ocular lens, make trying to acquire the intended target a very hard thing to do.

I currently own a range finder that has an 8x magnifying system. Really hard to acquire and range any sort of target quickly.

Just my .02 worth of advice.

hoho
02-14-2010, 11:21 AM
get a good one. i paid 6oo for my leica. both guys i hunt with have bushnell. to many buttons for me! one says the only good thing about his bushnell, is the warranty, broke down twice. the other says the ballistics on his is way off. simple is better, get what u can afford!
2500 for a rf? must be a swarovski scope with a rf built in?

I love my Lieca, it has only one button i need,and so easy to use.:-D

wlbc
02-14-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi everyone,

Here's a noob question coming from a noob:

Are rangefinders a worthwhile purchase or are they just another piece of tech gear to have to drag around with you? So far I rifle hunt and shotgun hunt but am thinking of picking up a crossbow at some point.

If they are worth it, which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

-Centerfire

If you don't shoot past 300 yards with a rifle you probably don't need one. If you do, FME after 300 yards 50 yard increments matter WRT point of impact. My rangefinder has replaced my binoculars.

I don't shoot pointed sticks so I can't comment from experince but if I did I would think range would be important.

If you are needing accuracy at distance get the Zeiss, Leica 1200, or Swaro. If it's shorter (bow hunting) range the Bushnell Elite would work fine.

Johnnybear
02-14-2010, 11:24 PM
IMO they are an important tool in any hunters bag. The human being is unable to judge distance very well (one of our downfaults). The Leica's are the best (read any range finder review on the net). I like the new Leupy RX1000's and as a Leupy fan I am going to replace my mediocre RXII with one of these new and improved models.

Chuck
02-15-2010, 10:55 AM
If you bow/crossbow hunt, then I think they can be a useful tool or even if you rifle hunt on the vast open prairies. I've never found need for one brush hunting in B.C.

high and to the right
02-15-2010, 10:23 PM
I find that I use my range finder for training. As I walk in the bush I'll throw it up and range a tree, bush, river, etc but I try to guess the distance before I range find it. When I see an animal I guess the distance and throw up my gun. The range finder helps me keep my field judging more accurate but I don't use it on an animal that I intend to shoot. My 300 Mag is sighted in at 3 inches high at 100 yards so any animal close to 300 yards away is on target. In the old days I would knock the odd animal down at 500 yds but now - I don't have that kind of confidence, even if I knew the exact range.

It's a good investment for training. If you are 20 yards from your trophy you don't want to be throwing up a range finder - you want to be throwing up your bow. If you ranged the distance between you and significant land marks in the area, you will be accurate in your estimates.

My range finder will do around 800 yards (or meters). It's fun to play with but I would never need that kind of range for shooting.

Timberjack
02-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Not to be an ass but "would not range much over 600 yards" does not seem to usefull with a crossbow or anything else really.

The longer range ones are very useful in figuring out "how much further do I need to stalk in to get the animal within a certain range (for bow or rifle)", especially when alpine hunting and trying to figure out if you have to cross two or three more gullies to get within range...

TJ

Mountain Hunter
02-19-2010, 10:30 PM
I have 2 Bushnell rangefinders, 1 with the Angle Compensation feature.
Both were between $250-$400 CA from Cabelas. I've had a basic one for several years and the newer angle compensation one for 2 yrs. I've only had to replace one battery for them over the years, and have absolutley no problem with them. Easy to use and accurate. I've tested and measured the shorter range angle compensation version for bowhunting and found it to be accurate +/- 1 meter. They DO NOT replace my binoculars, but agree with others that they are great for judging distances year round to improve our range estimates. The angle compensation rangefinder is used in the treestand, and after a few measurements on various objects around the stand it usually sits in the bag when a deer comes by. It seems better than walking off a few yards in various directions and tying flagging tape at various distances as some friends do. But flagging tape is much cheaper! :) So, basically a fairly cheap rangefinder is a good investment in my mind, save the $$ for quality binos!

mikeinajeep
02-20-2010, 09:48 AM
I am with you there Mountain Hunter.

eaglesnester
02-21-2010, 07:52 AM
X2 on the Leica 1200. Point and shoot, one button, dead simple even a caveman can do it. Some other range finders have too many buttons that get in the way of a fast developing shooting problem. In reality you are only going to be able to use a range finder if your quarry does not know you are there and it is out there 100 meters or more and you have time to get into position and use a steady rest, then a range finder comes in very handy. Most of the time though, you may not have time and must make a fast off hand shot. Of course you have spent many hours at the range shooting and developing this skill to be able to hit an animal at 100 yards in the vital zone for a 1 shot clean DRT kill. How many of us can do that?

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

digger dogger
02-21-2010, 08:44 AM
someone had put a link to BH photo, leica 900 crf or 800 crf is 499 us. for 250 more i would rather have a leica than a bushnell.. thats less than 2 tanks of diesel..BUY A GOOD 1..

j270wsm
02-26-2010, 11:55 PM
I spend most of my time hiking for elk, mule deer, sheep and goats and have also been drawn for grizz this spring, so I wanted something that has the angle/ballistic option, so I have chose to buy the leupold RX 1000 TBR. It is $529 at wholesales sports in Calgary.

j270wsm
03-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I just picked up the Rx 1000 TBR, So far the only thing that I dont like is the Red LED reticle. I have some issues seeing certain colors when mixed together so the Red LED doesnt stand out too well.