PDA

View Full Version : Big Horn Sheep

bwhnter
02-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Was curious if anyone has hunted big horn sheep South of Tumbler Ridge? I have heard a few stories of guys going back in there but have not heard of many rams shot.

talver
02-28-2006, 02:20 PM
are you talking about MU 7 19

bwhnter
02-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Yes, a friend of mine went in there a couple of years ago but due to alot of smoke they didn't see much and came home early.

bigwhiteys
02-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Bwhnter,

I just got off the phone with my old man in FSJ and he knows of several people who have gone in there for rams.

Just this last season a friend of his went in with his Wife and saw 3 sheep and 11 Grizzlies in the same valley. His wife forced him to leave! haha

Out of anyone else he has known to go in there nobody has ever come out with a near full curl ram or anything even half decent. He says the gene pool in there is pretty rough.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

butcher
02-28-2006, 10:16 PM
It's pretty tough to get a legal ram out of there but guys do it. One group I know went three for three in there a few years ago.

youngfellla
02-28-2006, 11:04 PM
We went up into the Kakwa area just up from McBride this past September looking for Bighorns, but got screwed by the weather, having only 2 good days out of 9. Maybe this year.....

boxhitch
02-28-2006, 11:49 PM
With the proximity to The Wilmore Wilderness in Alberta and Jasper Park, there should be good genetics.
Whats with 7-03 ? No general or LEH ? Too rough in BC ?

bwhnter
03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the info I am going after stones again this aug ( I shot mine last year but are going to try and get a couple for my bro and our hunting partner.) but we are trying to decide what we want to go after next. I am leaning towards the Big horns but my brother wants to go after Dall.

colemanwsm
05-29-2014, 05:41 PM
two of us are heading into that part of the world end of september !! its quite interesting between alberta ordoor forum and hunting bc forums the bad talk between boarders , that being said hopefully its the usual rat race in alberta pushing the sheep more towards the bc side before the snow flies , exited to explore some bighorn country thats not drawn just plain old hard work !!!

Walking Buffalo
05-30-2014, 01:48 AM
two of us are heading into that part of the world end of september !! its quite interesting between alberta ordoor forum and hunting bc forums the bad talk between boarders , that being said hopefully its the usual rat race in alberta pushing the sheep more towards the bc side before the snow flies , exited to explore some bighorn country thats not drawn just plain old hard work !!!

What bad talk between borders? Was that your introduction joke?

You might have just motivated a bunch of Alberta sheep hunters to push those sheep back east. :)

colemanwsm
05-30-2014, 04:21 AM
Haha na no jokes , just have been reading alberta outdoor forum of those general areas and mostly seem to be more of a competitive race to the back than hunt ! there seems to be more arguing about whos got more experience or right to be in well known areas on ab side than suport for the actual game of sheep hunting . Just stoked to go in from that side to backpack bighorns that is all !!!

bridger
05-30-2014, 05:52 AM
There is a huntable population in that area, but as big whitey says the gene pool is not great. It is know as the valley of the little bighorn. Several of my friends have taken rams out of there, but horn size doesn't compare to other areas of the province. Lot's of bears

Walking Buffalo
05-30-2014, 07:30 AM
There is a huntable population in that area, but as big whitey says the gene pool is not great. It is know as the valley of the little bighorn. Several of my friends have taken rams out of there, but horn size doesn't compare to other areas of the province. Lot's of bears

Those northern BH rams do grow smaller horns on average than elsewhere, but that is due to climate, not genetics.

colemanwsm
05-30-2014, 05:09 PM

thats the same info ive been told, do you know of any pics of the caliber of rams taken out of there ?

Brew
05-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Are there other opportunities for elk or moose in the area. Been wanting to go in there for sheep but would be nice if there were elk in the area as well if the sheep hunt didn't work out. Has anyone flown In to Kakwa or Cecilia lake? If so what would be the closest place to charter a plane from.

GoatGuy
05-30-2014, 09:23 PM
thats the same info ive been told, do you know of any pics of the caliber of rams taken out of there ?

Generally speaking 150s - and some that are smaller. Biggest I know of is low 170s.

Nice country, but wet. Smaller mountains than down south.

colemanwsm
05-30-2014, 09:42 PM
cant hunt from iether cecilia or kakwa thats a closed part of 7-19 ,

colemanwsm
05-30-2014, 09:47 PM
cant hunt from iether cecilia or kakwa thats a closed part of 7-19 ,

colemanwsm
05-30-2014, 09:50 PM
have you been in there ?

GoatGuy
05-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Only once, couple buddies that have been in there a few times.

Last time was pretty busy. Passed a 4 quads on the trail out and 3 groups of horses in there. Nice country to see from the back of the horse, but if a person wants a 'big'horn, the south country is probably the place to be.

colemanwsm
05-30-2014, 10:35 PM
oh yep , good to know , i imagine theres a few that go there but as the same everywhere - you must be made of the right parts to be successful

silva87
08-29-2014, 03:02 PM
I've only seen small rams closer to alberta border, i know some who just took near the narraway but look like a banana head

stoneguide
08-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Those northern BH rams do grow smaller horns on average than elsewhere, but that is due to climate, not genetics.

Some due to climate and a good portion due to genetics as well!!! If you don't have both you can't grow big sheep. If it's climate why are some if the most northern harshest thin horn areas producing amazing quality large based big curled rams and some other areas in better climate producing small horned sheep of the same age structure. Genetics must be there to produce. If what you claim us true Canadian whitetails should be smaller than most states!!

Walking Buffalo
08-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Hi Mathews, !!!!!!!

Of course genetics also play a role in horn size.

Specific Ecotype fitness and environmental conditions will override genetic potential.

Google Bergmann's rule and Foster's rule.