PDA

View Full Version : looking for arrows

JoshLedoux
02-12-2010, 09:04 PM
So I finally just started getting into archery and am enjoying it. Problem is I need some more arrows made up, I really lke the ones I have and would like to get quite a few more shafts. Everyone I've talked to says they are no longer being produced, so I'd like to find the same arrow in the same pattern or at least the same arrow in a different pattern at a decent price. Any ideas? I know theres a few pro's on here. The arrows I have now are an Easton xx75 superlite 2213 in the original mossy oak break up.

Jagermeister
02-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Ebay, that's about the only place you will find what you seek.

pnbrock
02-12-2010, 09:19 PM
try specialty shooting sports online store.cheers

Bow Walker
02-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Firstly, are you married to aluminiums? If so, since you're in Vanc. I'd go into Boorman's (New West) to see if they have any - or - can get any.

Hell. Phone them if you don't know where they are...604 524 1674

But, by going in there (here's the addy page http://www.boormanarchery.com/contact.php) you coud then have a look at what they actually have.

Maybe, maybe even have a look at some comparable carbon shafts.

Carbons (IMHO) far and away outlast aluminiums because they don't bend and become useless. Yes, they break but only from severe abuse.

What poundage are you shooting? If it's under 65 lbs, I'd recommend Gold Tip 5575's. GT's are tough as nails and they are not too expensive. You should be able to get a dozen XT 5575's for less than $95.00

JoshLedoux
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
yeah I've been to boormans, thats where I originally bought em, bought their last 3. I'm shooting a 70 lb ar34 cam and a half. Maybe i will have to look at carbons, never really ventured into that realm. still suitable for hunting?

Bow Walker
02-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Carbon's are/were made for hunting. Lighter, in terms of grains-per-inch, and therefore faster. Carbons hit as hard as aluminiums, but are a lot tougher. Carbons are much more limber and therefore will take a lot more crap before they fail.

Since you're shooting a 70 lb bow, you may need to go with the slightly stiffer 7595's - although it depends, really, on how long the shafts need to be to clear your arrow rest.

If you're using a rest that mounts an inch or two behind the riser - and your normal draw length is, say 28.5 inches, you good probably get away with using the 5575's cut down to 27 or 27.5 inches.

By cutting the lighter (5575) shafts down from their 32 inch normal length, you will gain the stiffer spine that your 70 lbs bow requires. Plus you will have a very fast and hard hitting arrow for both 3D and hunting.

garyt
03-22-2010, 02:23 PM
i m looking to buy alluminum arrows too, i ve got 2117 eastons now and want to buy more off bass pro shops. but all the sizes they got are 340,400 and 500.from what i ve read so far it seems i should be about400s. i m shooting a pse firestorm lite,60-70lb bow that i just bought and am slowly getting use to thks gary

Bowzone_Mikey
03-22-2010, 03:08 PM
a quick google
http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/easton-xx75-camo-hunter-2213-shafts-p-11140.html

many many other sources .... Easton still makes them ... any eaton dealer will have them .... here in Canada its tougher because of the middlemen .... they are not that popular anymore so Porcupine creek, monsens and other CDN distributors wont bring them in so much

M@B
03-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Easton still makes them. I bought a set of xx75 camo hunter arrows 2215 not two months ago from Boormans.

Walksalot
03-22-2010, 06:49 PM
]CIf you're using a rest that mounts an inch or two behind the riser - and your normal draw length is, say 28.5 inches, you good probably get away with using the 5575's cut down to 27 or 27.5 inches.

By cutting the lighter (5575) shafts down from their 32 inch normal length, you will gain the stiffer spine that your 70 lbs bow requires. Plus you will have a very fast and hard hitting arrow for both 3D and hunting.
[/QUOTE]

An overdraw rest is what you are describing. We used them back in the day when everyone shot aluminum arrows and gathered around the chronograph to see who had the fastest bow. Unfortunately the overdraw took a slight error in form and multiplied it by a bunch. Also, I hate trying to straighten arrows.

Bow Walker
03-22-2010, 06:54 PM
No, not an overdraw. Today's dropaway arrow rests mount in such a way that the supporting point for the arrow shaft is at least 1 - 2 inches behind the riser.

This gives (or takes away, depending on your point of view) a leeway for building arrows, allowing you to cut them much shorter than would be normal. Thus gaining speed and losing weight.

Walksalot
03-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Bow Walker,I see what you meant.
Josh, I have two boxes of aluminum arrows squirreled away some where. I will try and locate them but I think the arrows will be more suited for a crossbow as I used an overdraw for a while and the arrows are cut very short.