PDA

View Full Version : Traps warning signs

pete_k
02-12-2010, 07:59 PM
A poll asking if Trap location signage should be mandatory.

I thought signs were already mandatory.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-52681-11-.htm#52681

BromBones
02-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Not mandatory, nor should they be.

Darwin
02-12-2010, 08:15 PM
I vote. They should not be mandatory. I belive somebody would steel or reck the traps if there wer signs all over.MO

snareman1234
02-12-2010, 08:20 PM
yeap anti's would triple their trap collection, which is already huge to begin with!

brad ferris
02-12-2010, 08:30 PM
i think if a person is truely concerned about traps in an area he uses, why couldn't he contact moe and find out who the trapper on the active trapline is.then contact him directly and determine if he should use another area durring a particular season.
on another note in our hunting synopsis it tells us it's unlawful to disturb a legally set trap.how many anti's and theives read the regs?also what is the penalty?

Devilbear
02-12-2010, 08:41 PM
I think that it would be a very practical and wise move to erect signs on a trapline to warn people that potential danger to their pets and even kiddies was there. I also think that doing so, on a volunteer or mandatory basis would be a major influence in creating and maintaining a positive image of trapping/trappers among the general public.

The problem would be, as with some other outdoor activities, that some people would tear these signs down and the irony is that these are sometimes those who profess to be concerned about "safety"....they remind me of the big truck drivin', quad and sled ridin', macho talkin' "hunters" whom I have seen leave smoldering campfires in early season and often these are full of broken beer bottles and cans......

So, in THEORY, this would be a good idea, but, as with a lot of things in the outdoor sports world, the reality and the theory do not always coincide. It's a sad thing, but, many people just do not care as much about our wild heritage as they say they do and that does not seem to be improving, as I clean the same campsites in the WKs every spring and fall.

With today's rapidly increasing use of the backcountry by various hikers, bikers, naturalists, skiers, horsepeople and berry pickers, we are going to see more conflicts among all user groups and possible injuries to pets and even kiddies from traps AND carelessly ridden mountain bikes, etc. So, I feel that trying to do what one can to lessen this is a good idea.

If, I cannot let my dogs run free in the bush where I was born, why would I support people not born there doing things that they wish to do which may impinge on my use of that landscape? I never allow an untrained dog off the leash and am very careful to never bother others when recreating, so, I appreciate a trapper who would erect signs and hope that all will do so.

todbartell
02-12-2010, 08:59 PM
If, I cannot let my dogs run free in the bush where I was born, why would I support people not born there doing things that they wish to do which may impinge on my use of that landscape? I never allow an untrained dog off the leash and am very careful to never bother others when recreating, so, I appreciate a trapper who would erect signs and hope that all will do so.

What's the difference between a bear attacking your dog while out on a walk, and it getting it's head snapped in a trap while strolling across a trapline? Either way you're taking a risk when out in the bush. You mentioned you like to hike cross country, how logical is it to expect to see a "Danger, active trapping" sign off the beaten path?

Devilbear
02-12-2010, 09:01 PM
I can't argue with a moderator who can issue "infractions" and the answer should be obvious, in any case.

02-12-2010, 09:07 PM
where can you find a list of trap lines and owners? and how do you buy one?

ROEBUCK
02-12-2010, 09:12 PM
if your conserned about your pet in a trapping area, during trapping season ,keep your pet on a leash in that area ,very simple really,
seems common sense to me!!

todbartell
02-12-2010, 09:15 PM
I can't argue with a moderator who can issue "infractions" and the answer should be obvious, in any case.

there's a difference between arguing a point, and threatening members and calling names. But if you wish to not reply, so be it

peashooter
02-12-2010, 09:23 PM
trappers are trying to make a buck right. posting signs costs money and draws attention. antis or whoever take them down and worse steal and vandalize traps, costing bigger money. how much of a difference would it make really. if your dog isnt well trained enough to stay with you then it should be leashed. if your child is not old enough to safely wander in the forest unattended then they too should be by your side. maybe just knowing trapping and hunting may occur on any crown land is enough.

Fisher-Dude
02-12-2010, 09:42 PM
there's a difference between arguing a point, and threatening members and calling names. But if you wish to not reply, so be it

Will you ban me for the weekend if I post a pic of you in a pink tutu?

Ruger4
02-12-2010, 09:44 PM
I think this has been beaten to death , next ..................

BromBones
02-12-2010, 09:47 PM
What's the difference between a bear attacking your dog while out on a walk, and it getting it's head snapped in a trap while strolling across a trapline? Either way you're taking a risk when out in the bush. You mentioned you like to hike cross country, how logical is it to expect to see a "Danger, active trapping" sign off the beaten path?

That's something I mentioned in the other trapping thread that was closed. The chances of your dog flushing out a bear are far more likely than getting trapped.

Most people don't know the aggravation involved when a trap gets taken. The amount of wasted time, and money lost can make a guy pretty mad. I had someone scoop a 330 that I had set for lynx. Not only did I lose value on the trap itself, but time spent scouting, setting the cubby, fuel for the sled, etc., and also the value of the lynx pelt that I missed because the trap got taken. It adds up quick.

BromBones
02-12-2010, 09:58 PM
where can you find a list of trap lines and owners? and how do you buy one?

The folks down at your Fish & Wildlife branch can help you out. You can get maps with trapline boundaries as well as the names of who owns them. All you have to do is ask:-D

To buy a line, you need to have completed the Trapper Ed Program, get a license, and you'll be given your Assigned Trapper Number. When a line comes for sale, and if the owner agrees to sell it to you, you'd submit all your paperwork to the MOE, and the regional manager has to approve the sale.

There are other ways to get involved with trapping, without buying a line. You can trap private property with permission from the owner(s), lease a trapline, or have a traplines rights transferred to you (dormant lines).

Drillbit
02-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Quick summary:

They make dogs every day.
Trappers have enough work to do without hanging signs on and off the beaten path.
When on crown land and being a responsible adult, keep an eye on your kids like you're supposed to.
Set up a trapping scenerio and educate your kids.
Signs will attract negative attention for the trappers.
If a dog is off the leash, a trap is one of the least likely ways to kill the dog.

Pretty sure some people won't like this, but just not being PC.

proguide66
02-12-2010, 10:45 PM
I oticed a cross country ski track with dog track last yr.I placed signs along theor trail , 3 of em,warning of trapping activity in the area.The perso still would have had a tough time finding them.I also put signs near the start of a logging road mainline to let people know trapping was going on up there 'somewhere'.
If it were mandatory , wonder if it would lead to hunters having to post a sign each time they entered the woods??..that would suck bad due to NO MORE secret spots!!

Wild one
02-12-2010, 10:47 PM
No a trapper should not have to put up sighs. If there were not so many people out there that would go out of there way to tamper with or steal traps then I might say yes .If you look up the trapline maps you will find that most of bc's crown land is broken into traplines so there is a good chance if it is not a park you are on a trapline.

Darwin
02-12-2010, 11:01 PM
No a trapper should not have to put up sighs. If there were not so many people out there that would go out of there way to tamper with or steal traps then I might say yes .If you look up the trapline maps you will find that most of bc's crown land is broken into traplines so there is a good chance if it is not a park you are on a trapline.

I just ran across a trapline sign the other day IN a park area at the begining of the park. It just gives the line number I think that is good enuff to warn with out giving away location of traps. Out side of a Park No need for signage.

barry1974w
02-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Signs should not be required. Most trappers (such as pro guide) will post signs or move their traps if they notice too much activity in an area. But it should not be mandatory.

hunter1947
02-13-2010, 07:35 AM
If there is a problem area with beaver or other and you as a trapper has to trap this area in order to get ride of the nuisance animals.

My trapper friend has this nuisance permit that allowes him to trap year around and any calender month ,he has told me a few bad stories about his traps being stolen after posting the area with trapping signs..

If it is near any housing development then you should put sings up saying (Warning active trapping taking place keep children and pets at bay)..

If you are far away from housing then its up to the trapper to decide if it would be safe not to post warning signs on his sets..

Spokerider
02-13-2010, 09:19 AM
trappers are trying to make a buck right. posting signs costs money and draws attention. antis or whoever take them down and worse steal and vandalize traps, costing bigger money. how much of a difference would it make really. if your dog isnt well trained enough to stay with you then it should be leashed. if your child is not old enough to safely wander in the forest unattended then they too should be by your side. maybe just knowing trapping and hunting may occur on any crown land is enough.

What is wrong with "draws attention" [ drawing attention ] to your occupation??

So what if others know about your trapline......are you ashamed at how you "make a buck".?

If the traps are sufficiently off the road, in an area where the dog walkers and family hikers and other land outdoor enthusiasts are NOT, then there is a much less chance that it will be buggered with. Yes, some vanadalization may still occur, but, this is the cost of doing business, as there are business related costs with any occupation today.

Bottom line.........if the trapline is on PUBLIC land, then the public ought to [ and has a right to be informed ] know about it. Period.

Oh yeah......dogs on leashes.......
Where are peeps getting the idea that dogs have to be or even should be on leashes when out walking or hiking on PUBLIC land ie; not a park etc?

ROEBUCK
02-13-2010, 09:56 AM
its a tough one!and every trapping situation is differant,we as trappers have to be responsible,
catching peoples pets is not acceptable!.
if by posting signs we lose the odd trap!
so what!!
were not in it to make money anyway,at least we know weve done everything possible to insure safety for other recreational users.
trappers get a bad rap as it is,so i believe its better to air on the side of caution,then to get a bad name!
GOOD LUCK TRAPPING

BromBones
02-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Bottom line.........if the trapline is on PUBLIC land, then the public ought to [ and has a right to be informed ] know about it. Period

Pretty well all of BC is split up into registered traplines. Chances are if you're out on crown land, it falls into someones trapline.

If you're that worried about getting your mutt stuck in a trap - which is rare - do as mentioned and talk to the MOE, find out who's trapping in the area and give them a call. Don't wait for someone else to inform you - look after your self! Pretty simple really.

luckynuts
02-13-2010, 10:29 AM
if your conserned about your pet in a trapping area, during trapping season ,keep your pet on a leash in that area ,very simple really,
seems common sense to me!!

Isn't it mandatory to keep your pets on a leash while on crown land or is that just parks and while hunting????

RiverOtter
02-13-2010, 11:40 AM
When I set traps, I steer clear of areas with high people usage. That said, I'm not about to walk a 1/2 km off the road for every set; Partly because be being a successful trapper is about efficiency, and partly because critters like cats and coyotes like roads as well, and when you trap you set near the sign(NOT on the road, but not a mile off it either.)

Trapping signs on forest service roads is a ridiculous idea, as it is too "GENERAL" and people would still go there regardless. And putting a sign up at every set is just ******ed, as you'd have "curious ignorant people" who would feel compelled to "investigate", causing even more issues.

The 2 times I've had issues with domestic pets(dogs) has been when they were allowed to run at large. Snow is a wonderful tool to unravel just how things transpired, and when you have 4-6 km's of "dog only" tracks(In one case intermingled over deer tracks), I can guarrantee it's due to a negligent owner, not an irresponsible trapper.

hunter1947
02-13-2010, 11:48 AM
When I set traps, I steer clear of areas with high people usage. That said, I'm not about to walk a 1/2 km off the road for every set; Partly because be being a successful trapper is about efficiency, and partly because critters like cats and coyotes like roads as well, and when you trap you set near the sign(NOT on the road, but not a mile off it either.)

Trapping signs on forest service roads is a ridiculous idea, as it is too "GENERAL" and people would still go there regardless. And putting a sign up at every set is just ******ed, as you'd have "curious ignorant people" who would feel compelled to "investigate", causing even more issues.

The 2 times I've had issues with domestic pets(dogs) has been when they were allowed to run at large. Snow is a wonderful tool to unravel just how things transpired, and when you have 4-6 km's of "dog only" tracks(In one case intermingled over deer tracks), I can guarrantee it's due to a negligent owner, not an irresponsible trapper.

Riverotter thats ok if you can do sets far from any dwellings but in our case many times when nuisance trapping we have to set up the big guys near residential areas signs a must in this case..

peashooter
02-13-2010, 01:13 PM
What is wrong with "draws attention" [ drawing attention ] to your occupation??

So what if others know about your trapline......are you ashamed at how you "make a buck".?

If the traps are sufficiently off the road, in an area where the dog walkers and family hikers and other land outdoor enthusiasts are NOT, then there is a much less chance that it will be buggered with. Yes, some vanadalization may still occur, but, this is the cost of doing business, as there are business related costs with any occupation today.

Bottom line.........if the trapline is on PUBLIC land, then the public ought to [ and has a right to be informed ] know about it. Period.

Where are peeps getting the idea that dogs have to be or even should be on leashes when out walking or hiking on PUBLIC land ie; not a park etc?

its not about being ashamed of how you make a buck. its more about avoiding theft and vandalism. why put a billboard to those fools who think they can end "animal cruelty" by messing with ones livelihood. and i don't think all dogs should be on a leash. the ones that are not trained should be. the dogs, who's owners think its the bush i can do whatever i want, should be on a leash. if you cant control them tie em up. i've had a dog come flying in from out of nowhere, no owner or tags jumping up on all of us sniffing around trying to take backpacks because they smelled food. that dog got a kick in the ass. 10 minutes later owner shows up angry of course. i asked what would you do if a person showed up digging through your bag and jumping on your wifes lap? i would give him 5 across the eye too. :wink:

RiverOtter
02-13-2010, 02:00 PM
H-47,

I think we had different scenarios in mind here. I have also spent a fair bit of time in and around residential areas- beaver issues -and it's a totally different ball game. A 330 is not something to fool around with, and I set/treat them accordingly; on or under the water being very common. Actually the law already requires a fair bit of diligence when you are inside the 200M radius of a dwelling.

Pete
02-13-2010, 02:05 PM
I have a large trapline appox 1500 sq km. I literally have a hundred or more access points. To realistically post each and everyone is not going to happen. I do use trapline tape which is bright yellow and states very clearly "active trapline" on it. I put it up on major routes into my line and every year it gets torn down. I also go out of my way to work with the Guide and Outfitter as well as those out hunting cats as to where I am set up, or speaking with you if you are walking your dog. The last thing I want to do is hook up the family dog. Lots of folks seem to forget that like the forestry companies or mining companies we are tenure holders and are required by law to work our lines or lose them. I have thousands of dollars invested in my area. If you think that we are making hundreds of dollars out there in this economy I would be more than happy to sell you mine you can find out for yourself.

hunter1947
02-13-2010, 03:01 PM
I have a large trapline appox 1500 sq km. I literally have a hundred or more access points. To realistically post each and everyone is not going to happen. I do use trapline tape which is bright yellow and states very clearly "active trapline" on it. I put it up on major routes into my line and every year it gets torn down. I also go out of my way to work with the Guide and Outfitter as well as those out hunting cats as to where I am set up, or speaking with you if you are walking your dog. The last thing I want to do is hook up the family dog. Lots of folks seem to forget that like the forestry companies or mining companies we are tenure holders and are required by law to work our lines or lose them. I have thousands of dollars invested in my area. If you think that we are making hundreds of dollars out there in this economy I would be more than happy to sell you mine you can find out for yourself.

Well said Pete you are correct not a lot of $$$$$$ that you can make on a trap line...

proguide66
02-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Well said Pete you are correct not a lot of $$$$$$ that you can make on a trap line...
You mean you CAN make $ trapping????:?:lol:...so far trapping only seems to hep bucks get bigger for me:wink:( thats male deer by the way not $bucks)

Gateholio
02-13-2010, 03:24 PM

It's easy to be informed. Just clal the local CO's and they will tell you who the traplines in the areas are run by, and you can find if they are active.

Not on leashes is fine, but you should be able to control your dogs, for the safety of your dogs, wildlife, and other people.

Chuck
02-13-2010, 08:37 PM
We always put up a sign warning that to proceed with a dog beyond this point placed the dog in jeopardy of being "snared". Never in years ever had a problem with that.

trapman
02-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi Guys well I am the trapper that caught the dog that started this form so maybe I should tell my story . I have trapped the area for the past 6 years , the first 2 years I did post signs and lost over 38 traps (27-330 and 11-120 ) .In one trap that was left behind there was a glove stuck in the trap . I discussed the problem with loss of traps and the possibility of someone getting hurt trying to handle the traps with the local CO . It was agreed to remove the signs and see what would happen . I talked to the 4 families at the end of the road closest to the line , they asked me not to trap the first 2 km . And I started setting traps 5 km from were they asked me to . And for the last years 4 years it has been great ,not 0ne trap touched . Unfortunately this year the level of snow was down and a few people ventured further along the road . I have been in contact with the owner of the dog ,we have talked on the phone and have met in person . We talked about what happened and it was a great conversation ,no one was blamed it was just a unfortunate accident . We agreed not to trap the first 20 km of road and he was very happy . So there are two ways to loo at this problem 1st post the area and maybe loss traps and may hurt the people taking them ( I know some of you would say they had it coming but I think it would do a lot of damage tho the trapping and hunting world )2nd just set traps were you think there will be no pedestrian traffic and hope no one follows the foot prints into the bush . I would like to say thanks to the local CO named Ed he phoned and thanked me on the way we both (trapper and dog owner ) worked thing out

RiverOtter
02-13-2010, 09:43 PM
You moved 20KM up the road??
If that makes you happy, then that's great.

As far as I'm concerned though, 2-3 k's beyond a residence is fair game, as muts venturing that far on their own are up to no good, period. I do however make exceptions for people popular areas like toboggan hills and parking areas that people frequent for weiner roasts etc. Beyond that I have a legal right to carry on my activities on a piece of ground I bought the rights to manage and have to license annually.

Long way of sayin', if you're within your legal rights and using common sense, F@<% Em.....

hunter1947
02-14-2010, 07:42 AM
I asked the master cowboy trapper teacher yesterday about putting signs up if he was 3 miles away from the closes residence dwelling and he said that he would not do this because of theft on his traps.

He said that if a dog strays that far 3 miles away from its home this dog is up to no good.
He used to put signs up but he had to many traps tampered with and stolen.

He also said that an owner should have there dog on a leash as well when adventuring into the bush especially in unfamiliar grounds..

Chuck
02-14-2010, 10:05 AM
He also said that an owner should have there dog on a leash as well when adventuring into the bush especially in unfamiliar grounds..

EXACTLY!!!!!! But it will never happen ever.

skibum
02-14-2010, 10:44 AM
who the hell keeps their dog on a leash in the bush (or most of the time) - simple solution, if you are out in the bush, ask MOE, CO, if there are trap lines in the area you are hiking.

This is one of those issues that nobody is really going to be happy with whatever solution is found - Sh!t happens

RiverOtter
02-14-2010, 11:58 AM
who the hell keeps their dog on a leash in the bush (or most of the time) - simple solution, if you are out in the bush, ask MOE, CO, if there are trap lines in the area you are hiking.

Simple answer, the whole province is chunked up like a jig-saw puzzle of trapping territories, so the answer is YES, there are traplines in the area you are going(assuming Crown land of course). I highly the doubt the CO is going to go through the trouble of tracking down the trapper to see if he has traps set that winter though, so it boils down to a little bit of diligence on the part of the dog owner; No different than running the risk of a dog taking a tumble off a cliff, getting hung on its own collar, or being chewed by a (insert predator of your choice here)

This is one of those issues that nobody is really going to be happy with whatever solution is found - Sh!t happens

Agreed. Anything short of shitt canning all your traps and trading your fur coat in on a hemp sweater, and you're gonna run into issues with ignorant people who value the animals you trap more than human life itself......

tim3500
02-14-2010, 03:23 PM
I am the first to say you should need to post your traps there are a few people out there that pride themselves on abolishing the fur trade that is a essential part of some peoples lives . but speaking from experiance my dog almost fell into one in our hunting camp and it wasnt more than a sticks throw from the FS road and a pull out to our camp I just knew what i was looking at and unarmed his trap and had the opertunity to meet the trapper while he was tending his trap in the afternoon after a brife talk he was ok with my actions and told me of more traps in the area( In my opinion) if a freeminer or faller has to post a tag on a tree or sign on the road if your taking from the land in a legal manner were its a possible safety consern to people, livestock or wildlife of anykind there should be notification of some sort of the area but not the traps This is a misfortune to the pet involved but people do have a responsabilty to there pets and keeping them within site is a resposability in my mind but every story has two sides just my 2c

RiverOtter
02-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Would you extend that to include hunters as well....?
They are attempting to take from the land.

tim3500
02-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Good Question guess we are as much of a user to the system as anyother even if theres no fiancial gain from a safety standpoint i guess we should make some sort effort to notify theres hunting going on in a cut or field to more than your hunting partners but last time i parked a vehical and left a note on the back window when the truck was parked on the edge of a field i had a jackass follow my footsteps to my stand and swor me out when i looked at him in discust i just didnt want to be the guy that got labeled as the guy that shot some one or hurt some one I guess that what happens in the Christian Valley but that a different thread perhaps

hunter1947
02-15-2010, 05:47 AM

I would say most times a CO or MOE don't know where the trappers traps are ,Moe only knows your boundry of your trap line..