PDA

View Full Version : Archery moose 08

Caribou_lou
02-11-2010, 01:08 PM
So the rut was on but the weather was not cooperating. We had been hunting every day of the archery season and luck was just not on our side. Finaly got a break in the weather on the last day, woke up to a -8. I know of a spot that always has moose and I tend to keep it for a last resort. We were walking in at first light, We stopped at the block edge and listened for a minute. heard nothing. Took a few more steps and the bush explodes. There were a couple cows and a bull in a dip that we could not see and they busted us. I could hear his rack going through the crisp trees. We tried grunting but they did not stop. I then heard another bull start up down in the bottom of the block so we made our way in and continued grunting. The bull was not coming closer, figured he must have cows also. I then spotted a young bull coming to our calls. he made no sounds whatso ever. Good enough for me, so I ranged it out at 50 yards. got ready. the wind started to swirl and he smelt us immediatly. just our luck, my dad looked at me and asked if I wanted to work the bull that we could still hear. I looked at him and said we would be waisting the good morning we have so lets head further up the road. got back to the truck and drove. Not much old sign was on the road. I started thinking of other spots and almost said we should turn around when we saw a fresh track cross the road. we followed the track up an old bushed in road. The track couldn't have been more than 5 minutes old. We came to a Y in the road, the bull went left, so we went right. figured if we could get him to answer we would get me set up at the Y. My father call and with in seconds he answered and was on his way in. He had a deep grunt so I figured he was a good one. I quickly got into position at the Y in the road. My dad called one last timefrom there the got out of sight. The bull came so fast. I ranged the bush across the opening at 18 yards. I nocked an arrow and got down. I heard the bull go through some water and he was getting close. I drew my bow as soon as I saw antler. He then stopped and was looking for the cow that should be right here. he looked confused. Then began to move out in the opening and continued grunting. I watched his front leg go forward and stuck one in behind his sholder. he spun around and ran up the road. I grunted and heard him stop. he let out a big cough and I could tell he was feeling sick. we gave him ten minutes the followed the huge blood trail. he made it about 50 yards. I was very happy to take this bull. really shows that you should never stop trying. he was 42 inches wide. Figured he was an older bull. lots of grissle on those steaks. but suprisingly tender.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af161/Caribou04/Hunting/Family664.jpg

02-11-2010, 01:15 PM
I love calling moose, i sure is a rush.
Thats a nice bull there

jrjonesy
02-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Great Story! Great bull with the bow!

xtremearchery
02-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Awesome Bull! Keep The Archery Kill Shots Coming.

BiG Boar
02-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Pretty sweet man. That is one hunt that I cant wait to do! Wicked!

SMOLT333
02-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Great story and what a picture, I would have that one blown up.

BlacktailStalker
02-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Good write up.
Real nice picture, I like how the leaves have fallen on his nose and leg, gives it a nice touch.
Some of the best pictures are taken in the fall (coincidently when hunting is in full swing !)

Brett
02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Great picture! can't wait,,

KB90
02-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Nice Bull!

Kody94
02-11-2010, 03:56 PM
So the rut was on but the weather was not cooperating. We had been hunting every day of the archery season and luck was just not on our side. Finaly got a break in the weather on the last day, woke up to a -8. I know of a spot that always has moose and I tend to keep it for a last resort. We were walking in at first light, We stopped at the block edge and listened for a minute. heard nothing. Took a few more steps and the bush explodes. There were a couple cows and a bull in a dip that we could not see and they busted us. I could hear his rack going through the crisp trees. We tried grunting but they did not stop. I then heard another bull start up down in the bottom of the block so we made our way in and continued grunting. The bull was not coming closer, figured he must have cows also. I then spotted a young bull coming to our calls. he made no sounds whatso ever. Good enough for me, so I ranged it out at 50 yards. got ready. the wind started to swirl and he smelt us immediatly. just our luck, my dad looked at me and asked if I wanted to work the bull that we could still hear. I looked at him and said we would be waisting the good morning we have so lets head further up the road. got back to the truck and drove. Not much old sign was on the road. I started thinking of other spots and almost said we should turn around when we saw a fresh track cross the road. we followed the track up an old bushed in road. The track couldn't have been more than 5 minutes old. We came to a Y in the road, the bull went left, so we went right. figured if we could get him to answer we would get me set up at the Y. My father call and with in seconds he answered and was on his way in. He had a deep grunt so I figured he was a good one. I quickly got into position at the Y in the road. My dad called one last timefrom there the got out of sight. The bull came so fast. I ranged the bush across the opening at 18 yards. I nocked an arrow and got down. I heard the bull go through some water and he was getting close. I drew my bow as soon as I saw antler. He then stopped and was looking for the cow that should be right here. he looked confused. Then began to move out in the opening and continued grunting. I watched his front leg go forward and stuck one in behind his sholder. he spun around and ran up the road. I grunted and heard him stop. he let out a big cough and I could tell he was feeling sick. we gave him ten minutes the followed the huge blood trail. he made it about 50 yards. I was very happy to take this bull. really shows that you should never stop trying. he was 42 inches wide. Figured he was an older bull. lots of grissle on those steaks. but suprisingly tender.

Good story, great pic.

I think I saw that rack on Sunday....or one nearly identical to it anyway.

Mik
02-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Great Bull, thanks for posting and Congrats.

Jagermeister
02-11-2010, 05:36 PM
That's a nice bull, especially with a bow.
There is plenty of black colour to him, his muzzle and crown are still brown, so I don't think he is that old, just mature. I think he would be aged at 7-9 years. His brow tines are still forked.
When they get to the age of 11 or 12 or beyond, the brow tines tend to be singular and long and there is more grey in the leg, flank and muzzle areas.
Anyhow, your story is great account.

snareman1234
02-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Congrats, what an accomplishment!!

kwasky
02-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Nice Bull! Way to go

nomad
02-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Spectacular!! Great story, Great pic to go with it! Big thanks for posting this one! Archery too, that's what makes my day! Can't wait to post up a good archery hunt like that!

pitbell
02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Great feild photo.

Archer
02-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Thats a beauty moose, rifle or bow. Great pic, too. I can't wait to chase moose this fall.

Ambush
02-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Hard to believe you can pack so much excitement into just a few short minutes eh?? Great story, picture and a dandy bull!!

40incher
02-12-2010, 04:19 PM
You get the moose and your dad gets the assist. That's huntin'!

Should double his wages and triple his rations.

Caribou_lou
02-13-2010, 10:06 AM
There is no safe moose out there when my Dad and I team up.

If I remember right I trippled his wages. Three times zero still equals zero.

showtimebc
02-13-2010, 10:46 AM
nice write up trav!