PDA

View Full Version : Calling Moose under 20 paces

Mooseman
02-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Hunting with a trad. bow things have to be sooooo darn close to get a high percentage shot.
How cose do you moose hunters out there call them in on a regular basis and how do you do it?

Here a cow that came in closer then I expecte.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/MoosemanBC/cap004.jpg

PGKris
02-27-2006, 12:58 PM
If that was me in that pic, there would be a small puddle forming between my legs! That's close man!
To get the big bulls in close I use a small bull grunt and direct it behind me.

Mooseman
02-27-2006, 01:07 PM
That bull was just out of range at 40 paces

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v724/MoosemanBC/cap002.jpg

bwhnter
02-27-2006, 01:50 PM
My closest bull was shot @ 8 ft. I didn't even use the sights on my compound I just drew back and looked down the arrow.

guntech
02-27-2006, 02:03 PM
A friend of mine, a rifle hunter, called one to his truck two years ago and he has a picture taken from the drivers seat of a nice bull moose looking in the passenger window. He had a broken leg that year and had already called one close and shot it... this one was called in for the fun of it.

He gets moose every year.....

moosecaller
02-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Most of the moose that I have called in over the past few years have been as close as 4-5 paces up to 20 or so. The little bull I called in for the girlfriend this past season was 15 paces before she shot and he was coming closer but she was getting nervous. I took my (non-believer) neighbour out a few years back and it was 5 mins. after we arrived at the spot he shot a bull at 6 paces. It takes a few (lots) years of practice and lots of calling and listening to get it down right. I have been calling for 30 years and I still am learning new things every season. Also I hunt spots where most people drive right by as it does not look "moosie" enough for them I guess, but I score every year so I must be doing something right.

youngfellla
02-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Moosecaller, what do you use for a call?

I've got a homemade birchbark call that seems to do the trick for me.:grin:

marcus44
02-27-2006, 11:43 PM
I havent called any moose in hunting... But I have been "fishing" with moose on 2 seperate occasions. 1st was walking into a lil pond and seeing 5 moose across it about 50 yrds or so. The 2nd was fishing in my belly boat and having a cow and calf moose walk out into the water to within 20 yrds of me.

I have also walked up on a number of moose while deer hunting, the most recent being this past yr when I was walking I heard a bull calling and crashing in the bush near where I was, couldnt get a good look at him, only flashes but was within 30 yrds of him to.

moosecaller
02-28-2006, 12:57 PM
I use an old highway safety cone with the bottom base cut off, it is about a foot long and is vertually indestructable. I have had this one for 25 years or so. It works much better than a birch one as I don't have to replace it every year due to wear. The cone gives a slightly better sounds because the wall thickness is heavier than birch.

talver
02-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Hunting in 7B during the rut I have called in moose to within 20 paces but that antler restiction let most of them walk. I get more of a rush calling them in then dropping them because after you drop a bull moose the work begins. I use a couple things like a moose shoulder blade bone, brich bark horn, I have had the best result using a combination of these two things to get the big bulls out. PS I am not in favor of the antler restriction in 7B I think it should be like region 6

Brambles
02-28-2006, 04:40 PM
I've called 2 bull moose within a few feet with a elk bugle and cow call of all things. Both these areas were low moose populated areas so they were just probably lonely.

moosecaller
02-28-2006, 05:38 PM
That's weird I called in a bull elk while calling moose out on the beaver road here. He was squealing up a storm and grunting like crazy all over my moose call. I also had a bull moose on the other side of road at the same time both were racking the bush and getting each other all worked up with me in the middle.

moose hunter
02-28-2006, 06:19 PM
i dont like to get this close im one of the unfortunate that has been charged before out ventures bend for all u pg guys thats the place to go for big bull moose every time u call 2 will come in i garuntee, btw where did u see the bull elk i want to take one this year where is beaver rd?

Tuffcity
02-28-2006, 07:05 PM
My hunting partner & I usually use a tag-team approach. I'll cow call and if I get a response he'll be off to one side and will bull grunt- really annoys the real bull. :) The closest I've been was 7 yrds from a nice bull but with the 3 brow tine rule I had to let him walk. My hunting partner arrowed a 47" at 3 yds this past fall.

All calling is done with hands and mouth.

RC

30-06
02-28-2006, 09:03 PM
hey i know this has nothin to do with calling moose.but do u know a good website to look at buying used guns.