PDA

View Full Version : Use of radios on logging raods

okanagan hiker
02-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Hi all....

I posted a question on use of VHF radios on logging roads... and I thought I would post a poll to see how many of us use them.

CanuckShooter
02-11-2010, 11:07 AM
I think it would be a good idea to have one, just in case, and it would be nice to hear the loggers & oil patch workers bad mouthing hunters while your at it [happened near tumbler last season on radio], and you could also use it to call the foreman when the dumptruck drivers try to run you off the road. Now that they are talking about standardizing the calling procedures they would be even more useful.

02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
I dont but i think its a good idea,
Anyone who lives on the island knows about thoes old Mac Blo 20'ers. I have delt with thoes trucks alot. there are a couple places i go that i shut the truck off to listen. But on the weekend there is not as many as mid week, and i rarely go in the mid week.
I have made it 19 years driving island roads without one but there has been times when i wish i had one! Nothing like hittin a turn looking at one of thoes big assed trucks with three trees on it!

gibblewabble
02-11-2010, 11:26 AM
I do and I like the idea that if I get into trouble I can most often get help and it is really nice to know what traffic is on the road, I hunt alot during the work week so it is good to have a radio and I have on more than 1 occasion gotten a good lead on an animal because I was listening. The logging truck drivers appreciate it as well because it scares them as much or more when they have a near miss because they can't stop as well as a truck.

Kevin So
02-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't use one but I think is safer and the logger appreciate it more if you are out of their way. BTW can you use a marine VHF? Are they the same frequencies? Thinking og getting one.

Ronforca
02-11-2010, 02:02 PM
It is a good idea to have a radio to monitor the trucks, but it is not legal to own or transmit on these bands without a license.Lots of people do but they could be facing a good fine if caught.It is safer to just use a scanner and listen to the truckers .

gibblewabble
02-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Its $46 for a license which is pretty cheap to be able to call out for help. I was stuck pretty good this winter and was facing quite a few hours to dig and comealong out, could hear a dozer a ways off so I got on the radio and he came over and pulled me out. That alone was worth 46 bucks.

Dannybuoy
02-11-2010, 02:20 PM
I will just follow a logging truck or service truck up /down .... they will let the others know you are right behind them ...

ryanhuntslots
02-11-2010, 05:58 PM
when there is active logging going on on the forestry roads that are not publicly maintained the roads are radio controled,, if you are out there and get blown off the road by a lowbed, logging truck, service truck or other pick up that has a radio its all your fault, and your insurance will have to pay.... providing your alive to file a claim,,, go get a licence, invest $400 in a used radio and you will be safer, and the guys working will apprieciate knowing where you are... even as a hunter, while hauling logs for a living I hated the hunters with no road sense bombing along the road and surprising you around corners and over hills.

02-11-2010, 07:59 PM
I use a scanner with the Father In law...he has one. Otherwise I do not.

betteroffishing
02-11-2010, 08:03 PM
my marine vhf radio doesnt dial into the same frequencies the truckers use , i trie using it all last year and nadda.

Lone Ranger
02-11-2010, 08:47 PM
I got an old opened up ham radio with the highway commercial channels in it, I use it as a scanner. I will throw the FSR freq's in it when I'm on an active road, and once in a blue moon I will call out my location if it gets really busy (or if I'm about to head up on my quad). Other than that it sits under the console and doesn't get used.

I don't think you need to have a scanner or radio, just take your time and drive slowly on the proper side of the road, and use your lights. They will call out your location for you when they come across you. LR

landphil
02-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Don't have one at this time, need a new truck first in the worst way, and maybe after that I'll pick up a good used unit. It's easy enough to see headlights coming the hours I head out to the bush (in the dark:mrgreen:), and I return home after the end of shooting light, so dark again on the return trip.

Vanman1985
02-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I will just follow a logging truck or service truck up /down .... they will let the others know you are right behind them ...

X2.... Having driven logging truck, thats the best case scenerio. They will still try and keep track of you if you get by, but it's best to follow or call.

Johnnybear
02-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I don't have one yet but we took a trip to the interior this year with the father in law and a couple of other guys and they use them religiously and have the license's etc. Good idea and great piece of mind.

I have never (knock on wood) had a problem with logging trucks in the areas that I most frequently hunt here on the Island. I did have a close call around Nitinat many moons ago that made me have to change my shorts when I got home:-D.