PDA

View Full Version : Caribou Hunt??

02-10-2010, 09:38 PM
For the ones that have gone on a Caribou hunt where did you do it? In the YT or NWT? I imagine you have to use a guide? What was the ballpark cost? I have just been reading a few articles and saw a couple of shows....it looks like quite an amazing hunt......

Any guides that can be recommended?

For the ones that have never been..would you consider it, or would you rather stay in BC for the regular Big Game?

KB90
02-10-2010, 09:40 PM
You can hunt caribou in BC

02-10-2010, 09:42 PM
You can hunt caribou in BC

Ok forgive my naivity on the subject....where would be better to go. I'll admit, i have not even looked through the regs at all...

Alpine Addict
02-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Mervyn's Yukon Outfitting.

www.yukonsheep.com (http://www.yukonsheep.com)

Great outfitt.

KB90
02-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Ok forgive my naivity on the subject....where would be better to go. I'll admit, i have not even looked through the regs at all...

haha I am just as clueless. I just know there is some caribou hunting in BC, if you wanted to try at it alone. Pink Mountain I believe?

The Yukon and NWT would be amazing, as it is some cool looking country if your looking to do it guided.

I would love to go to the NWT you can get some great hunting AND fishing in!

yukon john
02-10-2010, 09:49 PM
You can hunt in bc if you got the time, if you got the money you can go to the yukon or nwt with a outfitter or if you know someone up there you can get a permit to accompany just like here. Quebec and alaska have some cheap ones but they are a different bou. Mountain caribou will run you around 6-8 grand in bc, I dont know about the territories but the top outfit (IMO) in the yukon will run you around 13,000 but you will get a 390+ bull. Depends on what you are after and what you want to spend. They are a lot of fun though especially if you catch a migration

02-10-2010, 09:53 PM
You can hunt in bc if you got the time, if you got the money you can go to the yukon or nwt with a outfitter or if you know someone up there you can get a permit to accompany just like here. Quebec and alaska have some cheap ones but they are a different bou. Mountain caribou will run you around 6-8 grand in bc, I dont know about the territories but the top outfit (IMO) in the yukon will run you around 13,000 but you will get a 390+ bull. Depends on what you are after and what you want to spend. They are a lot of fun though especially if you catch a migration

That is one of the draws for me.

325 wsm
02-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Pete Jensen Outfitters along the Dempster highway for barren ground caribou in late Oct. for @ $4500. Average bulls around 380 to 400 b&c . You can see upwards of 10,000 caribou in a day during migration of the porcupine caribou herd.

Everett
02-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Why anyone would leave BC to hunt caribou is beyond me fly out of dease lake in any direction and you are hunting caribou with moose, goat and sheep as secondary animals.

ElkMasterC
02-10-2010, 10:35 PM
If my new job pans out, I'll be working in Atlin, so I'll let ya know where to go.
With pics! lol

BromBones
02-10-2010, 10:41 PM
If my new job pans out, I'll be working in Atlin, so I'll let ya know where to go.
With pics! lol

Good luck getting that draw! From 45 down to 7 permits. Some dandy bulls around Surprise lake though.

ElkMasterC
02-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Good luck getting that draw! From 45 down to 7 permits. Some dandy bulls around Surprise lake though.

You're assuming I'd hunt the LEH area.
I would not be.
But thank you for the input. ;-)

butcher
02-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Why would you think about a guided hunt in BC? Fly to Level Lk or Calata Lk or badman or Cottonwood or Kahan or......... It ain't cheap but a lot cheaper than paying a frikkin' outfitter.

02-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Why would you think about a guided hunt in BC? Fly to Level Lk or Calata Lk or badman or Cottonwood or Kahan or......... It ain't cheap but a lot cheaper than paying a frikkin' outfitter.

Like I said, I haven't researched it at all. Just in the pondering stages at this point. Any and all info is welcomed :wink:

LYKTOHUNT
02-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Like I said, I haven't researched it at all. Just in the pondering stages at this point. Any and all info is welcomed :wink:
Myself and another fellow are talking about a horse back trip into the Itcha mountain area -5-12 for cariboo this year, he has been in before with some success.

d6dan
02-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Why anyone would leave BC to hunt caribou is beyond me fly out of dease lake in any direction and you are hunting caribou with moose, goat and sheep as secondary animals.
Exactly, I shot my caribou up on the headwaters of Toodoggone River. nice country, hell of a trip. There's moose, wolves, to chase. Fishing was good too.:-D

Caribou_lou
02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
I would also suggest flying out of dease or Iskut. draw a tag in spatsizi. Not hard to draw a tag. doesn't need to be 5 points up top in the park. and if your looking to take one and still have edible meat. shoot one before sept 10. They start to go rutty around that time.

Rod
02-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Myself and another fellow are talking about a horse back trip into the Itcha mountain area -5-12 for cariboo this year, he has been in before with some success.

Lots of Boo in the Itcha mountains and if you get into a good area there are some spectacular bulls just remember they are caribou and just because a valley was full of animals last year doesn't mean they will be within 50 miles tis year..

Packing in with horses opens a whole can of worms that requires plenty of horse and packing savy. another option is to fly in to Itcha Lake and hunt on foot. There are usually a couple of camps on the lake every year and plenty of meat/antlers on the meat pole.

LYKTOHUNT
02-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Lots of Boo in the Itcha mountains and if you get into a good area there are some spectacular bulls just remember they are caribou and just because a valley was full of animals last year doesn't mean they will be within 50 miles tis year..

Packing in with horses opens a whole can of worms that requires plenty of horse and packing savy. another option is to fly in to Itcha Lake and hunt on foot. There are usually a couple of camps on the lake every year and plenty of meat/antlers on the meat pole.
Yea I hear you on the horse savy part, I did a horse back trip for deer last year up in the mountains and learned just how much work and savy a person needs to hunt this style .Fortunatly the fellow I was with has lots of experience with horses and packing and has done a few hunts in the Itcha,s.
It is kinda funny when someone sees you on horses on hunting trip and says "so you are doing it the easy way are you" yea right

IronNoggin
02-11-2010, 01:21 PM
There are a couple of herds to work in the Western Arctic. The Porcupine Herd most are familiar with, it is the one that frequents ANWR into the Yukon, and migrate across the Dempster. The other is the Bluenose Herd, which basically stays on the East side of the McKenzie River for the most part.

There are guided hunts offered for both. Prices range around the $ 5-7 K mark, and usually you get 2 tags for that.

Better bet is to have a Buddy living (and hunting of course) up there. Both Territories offer a system like our Hunter Host program. Cheapest way to go!

Hunted both herds quite a bit when I lived up there, and have been back (successfully) on the Host event.

Here's a few pix for you to whet the appetite:

My best Porcupine Bull:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Caribou_2a_copy.jpg

Another Porcupine:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Caribou3A.jpg

And a Porcupine rack over a Bluenose face:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Wolf2_copy.jpg

The Arctic Wolf in that last pix stretches over 7 feet, without the tail having been stretched to it's original size! weighed in excess of 200 pounds, and took over 8 hours to hunt down.

Wolves are often a "fringe benefit" while hunting up there. In some locals Musk-ox can also be taken in the areas you'd hunt for caribou. Wolverines are on a tag basis (or were last time I was up) and are encountered often enough to make the tag purchase worthwhile.

Good Luck on your decision! Looking forward to your report of a successful run down the road! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

BlacktailStalker
02-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Nice bou's although they appear to be the same rack.
Real nice colouration on that wolf.

IronNoggin
02-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Nice bou's although they appear to be the same rack...

Woops! Good Eye Stalker! My Bad :(
On my old PC I had numerous pix of many many hunts. When it croaked, I lost most of them and was only able to retrieve but a few. Didn't even look closely before I posted. And aYup, the first photo is the animal down, the second is the extraction - same critter. Sorry about the confusion!

It's tough when SomeTimers becomes Most-Of-The-Timers! :-?

Cheers,
Nog

jrjonesy
02-11-2010, 01:44 PM
In 04 we went on a bowhunt to MacKay Lake with True North Safaris in the NWT. My two brothers, my Dad and I went as a special and "different" bowhunting trip to do with my Dad. It was intended to be a "once in a lifetime trip and it was a great!

We each saved up for about 2 1/2 years for the trip which ended up costing us a little over $5,000 each, all in, by the end of it.

We went early (Aug 17-14) and hunted resident caribou, with the migration just starting to get going as we were leaving. If I were to go again I would likely go a little later or a little further north in order to catch the migration. Part of appeal of it was that we were staying in North America but it was almost like traveling to a different country as the landscape and culture was so different than anything in B.C.

Mik
02-11-2010, 01:45 PM
I would rather stay in BC. Some great Caribou around the Dease Lake Area.

Hotshoe
02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
If you are a B.C. resident......two words.....Kawdy Plateau!!!

hawkdog
02-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Lots of Caribou around Atlin,
I have shot one on Thudade Lake as well, north of PG

GoatGuy
02-12-2010, 04:29 PM

Those are a couple of the more popular spots.

Tanya
02-12-2010, 04:48 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/SaturdayJanuary1420068.jpg

Barry Taylor Arctic Safaris
He doesn't have a website.
http://www.spectacularnwt.com/operator/arcticsafaris?cate=35

Summit 512
02-13-2010, 05:54 PM
I have taken some nice caribou out of the Itcha Llgachuz park. All ways hunt with horses there.

bushguy
02-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Or you could just go up into the Klappan,,,and drive right in ,,,,,oh,,riiiigggghhhht.

02-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Or you could just go up into the Klappan,,,and drive right in ,,,,,oh,,riiiigggghhhht.

Or you could not poke the lion and get this thread locked.....I am getting some good info here....thanks.....:roll:

ElkMasterC
02-13-2010, 07:39 PM

LMAO........

bushguy
02-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Or you could not poke the lion and get this thread locked.....I am getting some good info here....thanks.....:roll:

Fair enough .303,,,,,,,,:mrgreen:

So where and how do you want to hunt bou?

Drive?
Hike?
Fly ?
Horseback?
LEH tag or GOS?

For region 6,,
I would suggest flyin in,with a second(sheep,moose or grizzly as a second tag.)Out of Dease Lake,Watson Lake,Telegraph creek,Tatogga Lake,Swan lake or Atlin.Better book flight soon.

If you have a quad,,,Jade/boulder road,Cassiar,Hot Lakes,etc.Tons of access.Lots of hunters.

I would strongly suggest flying into any lake NW of Dease or some to the east.

Quality of hunt will be dictated by $'s spent on distance flown(somewhat),,

If you have horses,,,the sky's the limit,,,go in at Cassiar,and right to the Kawdy Plateau and further,,or at Laketon right to Tuya. etc etc etc:mrgreen:

olharley guy
02-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Howdy, PM sent

bushguy
02-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Another excellent spot is Johiah Lake,,fly in only,or a wicked horseback trip from Fort Ware,,

If you want a trophy mountain bou,fly in, or horseback.if you just want a bou,,,,hunt Jade/boulder or any quad access.If I was you and serious about a trophy bou i would fly into either Calata or Badman or Nuthinaw(for Kawdy) or Ketchum(for level mtn) or right onto Level Lake,the later in the season the better.Each spot has its positives and negatives in regards to setting up a successfull trip.depends what you reallly want to do and how bad you want it.Ooorrr you could fly into Calata lake hike right across the Kawdy to Kilgore,hahaha lots of options,,got it in ya?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2010, 08:43 PM
You want to hunt them on "flatland" or in the "hills"???

SSS

bushguy
02-13-2010, 08:50 PM
If your older and have no gumption, get on your quad and camp at caribou pass on the Jade road.hahahha eventually youlll see one from camp.:mrgreen: not sure if you can still go into the 3 sisters range (legally)from there or not????You want to wall tent it or backpack/fly camp?Wanna kill a ram?A grizz?A goat?A moose?
A little more info in regards to your age and mental/physical shape ,abilities,cash flow,gear available,etc would help everyone to help you???No???

ElkMasterC
02-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Not to hijack, cuz .303 might get some good info here.
If you were based in Atlin, and didn't get the LEH, and wanted a do-it-yourself Boo hunt for the adventurous, what would you do?
What would you doooooo?

bushguy
02-13-2010, 08:58 PM
If you can afford to fly ,,,buy a sheep tag too,,,sheep /caribou combo is nice for an early season backpack hunt,,,lots of good spots,,,,,right boys?!

if a nice comfy late season hunt with a nice comfy walll tent is what you want a caribou/moose combo is great(grizz tag).

Maybe try around Weissener Lake for a backpack caribou/grizz combo,,,,tough hunt,and pack.After your successfull on that hunt,whack a 55" moose at the lake.Awesome goats on Spectre too! And grizz!

Or try your luck in Spatsizi with LEH,,caribou,(sheep,grizzly,goat,moose,,)Brothers lake ,,,,,,,,,,etc etc

or hell hike off the highway anywhere around Cassiar ,buy a sheep tag,,,,,

and on and on and on,,,,,,,,,,,,

bushguy
02-13-2010, 08:59 PM
If you were based in Atlin, and didn't get the LEH, and wanted a do-it-yourself Boo hunt for the adventurous, what would you do?
What would you doooooo?

Go to Quebec?

bushguy
02-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Hell I'd go to Ontario and hunt with Mr.Pigeon,,,,,,,,,,,he may leak sum good info for TURNAGAIN LAKE!

bushguy
02-13-2010, 09:22 PM
What would you doooooo?

Hell I'd get in a boat ,go straight across the lake ,climb up and shoot a nice Ram,heck with Caribou.

bushguy
02-13-2010, 09:24 PM
You want to hunt them on "flatland" or in the "hills"???

SSS

I am interested in a flatland hunt for them,,any tips?

ElkMasterC
02-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Go to Quebec?

Yeah, you can walk from Atlin to Quebec, so that's cool advice........

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Banjo.png

I think I'll rent a boat. ;-)

bushguy
02-13-2010, 09:29 PM
I think I'll rent a boat. ;-)[/quote]

There ya go!!!!

Slee
01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Any info on your hunt????

Im looking to get my dad a caribou next year..... interested in heading up that way (dease lake area) Is it possible to hunt around there for a caribou if you dont have a quad?

Also any price info on flights out of Dease?? Are they cheaper then that monopoly on Muncho?

vortex
01-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Any info on your hunt????

Im looking to get my dad a caribou next year..... interested in heading up that way (dease lake area) Is it possible to hunt around there for a caribou if you dont have a quad?

Also any price info on flights out of Dease?? Are they cheaper then that monopoly on Muncho?
If your looking for horn, stay on the region 6 side instead of Muncho...

Slee
01-05-2011, 09:20 PM
If your looking for horn, stay on the region 6 side instead of Muncho...

Looking for quantity not quality........... My Dads been dreaming about caribou for a long time. I just want to find a half decent spot with a fair shot at a leagal bull, not too worried about a belt buckle bull... for now:-D

We would look at a fly in hunt as long as it doesnt bankrupt us like the muncho outfit did this fall..... :evil:

SHEDHEAD
01-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Looking for quantity not quality........... My Dads been dreaming about caribou for a long time. I just want to find a half decent spot with a fair shot at a leagal bull, not too worried about a belt buckle bull... for now:-D

We would look at a fly in hunt as long as it doesnt bankrupt us like the muncho outfit did this fall..... :evil:

Hey man, fly into cold fish with the old man. easy hunt with great cabins. Flight is around $800.00. ( draw tag )

Slee
01-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Hey man, fly into cold fish with the old man. easy hunt with great cabins. Flight is around $800.00. ( draw tag )

Thanks, Anyone know what the odds were last year for the Spatsizi tags???

Everett
01-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Fly out of Dease west to any lake near the Kawdy Plateau and you are some of the best Caribou hunting in BC.