PDA

View Full Version : broadheads

bearhunter338-06
02-09-2010, 08:38 PM
what type of broadhead would you recommend for a new bow hunter, fixed or mechanical.
Thanks
Burke

Red arch
02-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Muzzy's are pretty good, however usually need slight tuning. Slick Tricks are another good brand, and they "fly like fieldpoints." There is also G5 broadheads. For mechanical Grim Reapers are excellent, however its like $35 for 3. Nap also makes good mechanicals.

nomad
02-09-2010, 09:03 PM
use a good solid fixed broadhead to start out. you can resharpen and reuse them lots. You will need to practise with one of whatever you pick to make sure you're tuned properly. A solid blade will take alot more abuse when you're starting than a razor or mechanical.

SMOLT333
02-09-2010, 09:05 PM
I use fixed, thunderhead 100 and 4 blade slick trick. This works good for me, my arrow speed is 277 fps. Just about all the guys that I shoot with use fixed broadheads.

Kudu
02-09-2010, 09:30 PM
There are plenty of options where Broad heads are concerned, as a beginner you could use Fixed blades and spend hours and hours fine tuning your bow. Nothing wrong with this, it will help you understand and appreciate your bow.

If however, time is a concern or you are not fully comfortable with tuning your bow then go on right ahead and use mechanical's, Grim reapers are great as are some others.

As a beginner you should not try and hunt out beyond 25 meters, or at least not until you are really comfortable in shooting perhaps 30, 35 or 40 meters - when you start getting to these distances your accuracy will suffer if your bow is not properly tuned.

So my advice, for what ever its worth - you have plenty of time before hunting season, try and shoot as many arrows as you can - try and get into a routine of shooting at least twice a week - start out with perhaps 8 -10 rounds of three arrows at a time - 24 - 30 arrows a sessions twice a week will help you get the feel of your bow learning where its sweet points are, pick this up to three or four times a week as you get nearer the opening of bow season and you should be OK.

You probably knew all this stuff already - Good luck and happy hunting.

deeks1989
02-09-2010, 11:37 PM
MUZZY'S !!!!!!!
I killed 2 deer this year with both a 4 blade and a 3 blade muzzy and it KILLED them!
Mechanicals I have not had good luck with........

bowhunterbruce
02-10-2010, 07:16 AM
after hearing a number of negative comments from bowhunting friends about how thier mechanicals failed them i have always gone with fixed blades,and all of the meat in my freezer from downed animals, 13 deer now over the last 6 years say i am not going to ever change my mind.
bruce

dave_fras
02-10-2010, 07:21 AM
im all about the montec g5!!... ive killed 5 bears and about 10 deer with them!... i use muzzys in my crossbow.... well... my dad does!... they work with too... and a heck of a lot cheaper!!... pack of 6 at walmart in the states for 18$

copeyshort
02-10-2010, 07:35 AM
g5 montec's all the way!!! super durable and i don't even touch my sights between them and field points, and they drive tacks just as good as field points. only down fall to them is they don't come very sharp but after a few minutes with a decent stone they are good to go.

id stay away from mechanical's heard a few stories of them not opening. which presents obvious problems go on you tube search broadhead testing about a 8 min video of a guy shooting a 55 gallon drum with different broadheads fixed and mechanical. it doesnt have the montecs but it shows a different G5 broadhead. it really shows how mechanical and "you put together" fixed blades just arent as strong.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-10-2010, 08:24 AM
g5 montec's all the way!!! super durable and i don't even touch my sights between them and field points, and they drive tacks just as good as field points. only down fall to them is they don't come very sharp but after a few minutes with a decent stone they are good to go.

id stay away from mechanical's heard a few stories of them not opening. which presents obvious problems go on you tube search broadhead testing about a 8 min video of a guy shooting a 55 gallon drum with different broadheads fixed and mechanical. it doesnt have the montecs but it shows a different G5 broadhead. it really shows how mechanical and "you put together" fixed blades just arent as strong.

Which is usefull if you hunt 55 gallon drums .... :?

the most realistic test one can do is take a pumpkin or water melon and wrap in a Burber like carpet with some 1/2 inch strips of wood to act as ribs .....

This debate is almost as old as the crossbow one .....

I have never had an issue with Mech heads .... Just dont think that they are magic heads and take high percentage shots with them ... and yes I shoot Broadside and 1/4 shots

Bow Walker
02-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Fixed (or replaceable blade) broadheads sometimes require a bit of tuning to get them to shoot as true as field points. This is mainly because the bow is not quite "tuned" correctly.

It could also be due to the fact that the arrows are not properly made....I'm talking about the cutting and assembling of the arrows. As long as the arrows are good and the bow is tuned - there is no reason that your fixed heads should not fly just as accurately as your field tips.

I have used mechanicals, fixed heads, and replaceable blade heads. Of all the heads that I have used, the one that I recommend are Muzzy's and Slick Tricks.

I've taken three separate deer with the same Slick Trick broadhead. I've just re-sharpened the head, and used my arrow spinner to test the straightness, and gone out and killed another deer.

CanadanHirvi
02-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Another vote for slick tricks. Straight out of a box never had issues with them. For bear, use at least 3 or 4 blades. Have you guys tried "Rage" mechanical heads? An outfitter I know recommended those, but haven't tried them. Apparently those force themselves open and are NASTY on game.

Kirby
02-10-2010, 08:37 PM
I'd say go slick tricks. But really any of the big names, Muzzy, NAP, G5 all tend to produce a good product, broadheads are like bullets, everyones got a favorite thats "the best" but really there are 100 other heads out there just as good.

g5's(montecs) whistle in the air if your shooting a fast bow, mechs require less tuning, but have a failure rate(depending on the head its very low or relatively high). Muzzies and thunderheads are typically harder to tune.

Heads I've personally used, and would recomend in no particular order
Slick tricks, Monetc G5, Thunderhead, Muzzy, 3 and 4 blades, Interlocks.

Heads I've used and won't recomend
NAP Spitfire used once, head failed, 27 yards, broadside, arrow hit and turned 90 degrees, ran down the rib cage. When recovered the head was bend over 30 degrees

G5 Small game heads, 27 bucks for 3, I've gotten 2 shots, 2 broken heads gave the other away.

Easton heads, used a couple of different models just as tests, all failed.

The Hermit
02-11-2010, 12:43 AM
I use fixed... G5's wicked sharp and strong!

Bow Walker
02-11-2010, 10:38 AM
I use fixed... G5's wicked sharp and strong!
Yeah, but your bow shoots about 37 fps doesn't it? :confused: :wink:

Tuning broadheads is really all about building a good arrow - right from the time the shaft is trimmed to length until the final arrow is assembled.

Attention to detail is the key. Get everything true and squared. Ya gotta be anal about arrow building.

I have never had a problem getting broadhead tipped arrows to flay and hit like field tipped arrows. Over the years I've used Spitfire mechs, Razorcap fixed, Slick Trick replaceables, Muzzy replaceables, Montec fixed, Stinger 2-blade fixed, Eastman cheapys, and more that I can't remember.

bearhunter338-06
02-11-2010, 04:29 PM
thanks for all the advice.
Now my next question is where in the Shuswap Okanagan can I get arrows bilt. I now I can get arrows from my local sporting good store, But I'm not sure they build them, all the arrws I have seen there are all pre fletched.

hardnocks
02-11-2010, 07:02 PM
what do you want thats special burk.

bearhunter338-06
02-11-2010, 08:03 PM
That's the problem I knew very little about bow's and arrows, now I know even less then I thought I knew lol. When I had my first bow I thought arrows where just arrows, never thought about tuning arrows to your bow. So i guess I am looking for some one to tune the arrow to my bow, or tune my bow to the arrow.

Things where much simpler when I lived in my cave......:-)

hardnocks
02-11-2010, 08:08 PM
well come in and bring your bow. merv

bearhunter338-06
02-11-2010, 10:14 PM
I will be soon

Kirby
02-11-2010, 10:20 PM
well come in and bring your bow. merv

Ya, take it to Merv, he is more than able to answer your questions and the shop in Salmon arm is great.

Kirby

pale rider
02-17-2010, 12:58 PM
i bought some woodsman thay are fantastic

Onesock
02-17-2010, 06:22 PM
If you bought Woodsmans make sure you sharpen them because they are not ready to hunt out of the box. Only taked a few minutes to sharpen them though.

huntwriter
02-17-2010, 07:31 PM
... go on you tube search broadhead testing about a 8 min video of a guy shooting a 55 gallon drum with different broadheads fixed and mechanical. it doesnt have the montecs but it shows a different G5 broadhead. it really shows how mechanical and "you put together" fixed blades just arent as strong.

Lol. The old oil drum and cinder block test are so impressive. Except a bowhunter is not trying to kill a oil drum or cider block. These tests say absolutely nothing to me. The simple fact is that with todays standards almost any broadhead from one of the established brands will perfom exeptionally in getting game to the ground and keep it there for good.

The best broadhead is the one that shoots well from your bow. That might be a fixed broadhead or a mechanical. Trying out a few different brands and models will tell you quickly which ones are right for your bow. Never get hung up on a brand. In my 25+ years of bowhunting I have shot just about every available broadhead and with a few exeptions they all perfomed flawlessly. Having said all that I still prefer and use Magnus one pice cut to the tip 125 grain broasdheads or the Thunderheads 125 grain. But thats just me, don't pay any attention to it.:-D

pale rider
02-18-2010, 08:59 AM
If you bought Woodsmans make sure you sharpen them because they are not ready to hunt out of the box. Only taked a few minutes to sharpen them though.

yes you are right thay are not sharp,now im having trouble sharpening them the three blade design,makes it hard to sharpen.what a pain,think i will buy some two blade.

The Hermit
02-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Three blades are easy to sharpen!! Get a flat stone, oil, rub, turn, rub, turn, rub. Repeat if necessary and ba-da-bing sharp!

Onesock
02-18-2010, 10:00 AM
On 3 blade heads you sharpen 2 sides at once. As Hermit has said use a flat stone or a wide file, lay it flat on 2 sides and do about 5 strokes for each side. They sharpen like nothing, very easy.

Bow Walker
02-18-2010, 10:04 AM
According to Fred Asbell (well known and very respected archer), 2-blade heads are the best. That said and given that it is in fact, true, I agree with Othmar about different b'hs performing differently from different bows.

Dr. Asbell has been researching broadhead performance for over 20 years. His research has mainly been focussed on tradtional equipment, because that's what he shoots most of the time. Out of respect for the collected data I have now gone and invested in the broadhead below (about $30 Cdn) for my Bamboo-backed Longbow.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/100-stinger2blade.jpg

I'm really looking forward to the day that I consider myself ready to take a deer with my trad bow - but I've got a lot of practice before then.

jrjonesy
02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Have you guys tried "Rage" mechanical heads? An outfitter I know recommended those, but haven't tried them. Apparently those force themselves open and are NASTY on game.

My brother's killed about his last 7 or 8 animals with these and they do make a nasty hole (in and out) and fly well.

I've shot my last 6 animals with G5 Techan II's with perfect results. I have however bought some 2 blade Rages and will try them out next year just for something different.