PDA

View Full Version : Leupold 3 or 7??

CanuckShooter
02-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Has anyone compared the Leupold 3 and 7 series scopes?? Is the higher cost of the 7 worth it in your opinion???

Devilbear
02-09-2010, 09:29 AM
I have and I then bought another VX3, but, really prefer the Zeiss Conquests, overall. The Leupies win in lower weight and compact size, but, they do not track as well and are not what they used to be.

I might buy a V7 for a long range rifle, have a custom Micky-stocked P-64-.264M and another in .300H&H, waiting until I feel like installing a Rimrock I have for it, but, I have a Conquest 4.4x14 on the first and will likely put a Conquest 3x9 on the latter.

I did buy the Leupy LPS for my Dakota 76-.338WM as I wanted the "best" American scope for a highend American rifle, but, I hated it as it destroyed the superb balance of that fine piece and I replaced it with a Leupy VX3.

So, give thought to what you want the scope for and what round is chambered in the rifle you will put it on and then decide.

CanuckShooter
02-09-2010, 10:32 AM
I have a Ruger in 338win....there is some appeal to the Leupolds in a 50mm [with the divot L series], so they can be mounted lower. But I notice there is a significant difference in the prices between the two series and was curious if this is justified in 'quality' of the lenses or not.

I would have to do a trial fit before actually making a purchase decison, but the Zeiss line was also on my maybe list.