PDA

View Full Version : Warning Thin Ice!

sawmill
02-09-2010, 07:42 AM
I know I should post this on the fishing site but I figured it would get more reads here and it is important.
We had a guy go through the ice on St.Marys Lake on sunday.We were fishing out from the old pilings and his dog went through and then him.I guess what`s happened is the River is starting to melt the ice from the bottom up in places.He was about fifty feet past the last piling and that`s where the river runs through.

So....just a heads up for the locals,I`d hate to see any body die out there.Pretty scary having a guy go in like that.They got him out with a rope.

hillclimber
02-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Stupid el nino winter!! Hope the guy and his dog was ok. If his dog went through I woudn't think there would be much ice?

sawmill
02-09-2010, 08:25 AM
It`s funny the way the ice goes from 18 inches to 1 inch in a matter 10 feet.There is no ice at all on the river out there.The guy and dog were fine,just wet,cold and scared shitless!

hillclimber
02-09-2010, 10:14 AM
holy chit thats a big difference. always gotta be careful goin out on the lakes, especially with all this warm weather, always best to drill a hole first!

boyd050
02-09-2010, 05:58 PM
hey Joe, when those guys first got there the dog went in by the piling, are you saying one of the guys went through after we left???

sawmill
02-10-2010, 07:09 AM
That`s right Boyd.Stupid dog went in again then he went in trying to save it.Out past the pilings that time,just out and to the right of where you started fishing.My Bro in law pulled him and the dog out.
No more fishing out there alone for me!

dave_fras
02-10-2010, 07:15 AM
my cousin actually went thru last weekend!....its weird tho....where he was standing the ice was really thin... i was 8 feet away and i had 10 inches!! i dont get it

bowhunterbruce
02-10-2010, 07:19 AM
where was that dave?

cariboobill
02-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Thin here in the Cariboo as well. A fellow died this last week when he and his quad went through the ice on Lac La Hache.

KootenayShedhunter
02-11-2010, 12:23 PM
that's crazy was out there earlier in ther year and couldn't beleive how thick the ice was

sawmill
02-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Well,had another guy go in at St. Marys Lake this week.I heard he almost didn`t get saved this time.I guess I`m done fishing out there damnit and just when I figured out how to catch the big ones.:(
What useless weather this year,either be cold or be spring,this halfway crap is depressing.Even my buddies back yard rink has melted away.Now I suppose we will have roving bands of half wild 9 year old hooligans with hockey sticks shooting tennis balls at old ladies.:twisted: