PDA

View Full Version : bears!! already!

dave_fras
02-09-2010, 07:27 AM
i donno whats goin on... but this weekend i was out shed hunting and the gf and i ran into a small .. looked like 3 year old blackie....it was down low on the westside... way below the snow line... then on sunday we went up fishing at turtle lake... and at the second canyon on mcculloch road we ran into a mom with 2 young ones from last year...i couldnt believe it!... i wonder if they are out for good?... since they are so low down!

BiG Boar
02-09-2010, 08:05 AM
I think some didn't even hibernate this year. Any clue how that will affect the hunts? More rubbed bears?

BCBear
02-09-2010, 08:25 AM
If it means anything a couple of CP engineer pals of mine told me they saw bears out really late this past fall when they expected them to be denned. They both mentioned on Friday that snow is absent in areas they haven't seen green in years for this time of year. These guys go through the mountains everyday so take it for what it's worth. I think an early bear season is a go.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-09-2010, 08:29 AM
There's green grass in the valley bottom and even at slightly higher elevations. I would imagine they can smell "spring".

SSS

xtremearchery
02-09-2010, 08:34 AM
if thats the case, should be able to get a couple meat bears before may....

Tikka270wsm
02-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Here on the Southern Vancouver Island there is already some grass growing on the backroads and the weather has been extremely mild for this time of year. Saw two bears sunning themselves up on a bluff two weeks ago behind Wild Deer Lake. I couldn't believe it. I'd never seen them out so early either.

As long as the weather stays mild, we could have a phenominal spring bear season.

Steeleco
02-09-2010, 09:01 AM
As long as the weather stays mild, we could have a phenominal spring bear season.

Sign me up for that!!!

bushpig slayer
02-09-2010, 09:07 AM
i was up 4 wheeln in the hills southern island,there is so many roads you can travel you shouldn't due to snow,going to be easy road hunting in the spring.

elkdom
02-09-2010, 09:11 AM
weather and wildlife patters have been "weird" to say the least this past year, a herd of whitails a couple hundred yards from my house, about18 or 20 deer,,
there are 3 decent bucks, 2 four pointers and a big 5x5, the bucks are pushing/fighting and rattling antlers, the big one is chasing does around, sometimes trying to mount the does,
usually by now the bucks have dropped antlers,,,:?

still seeing lots of bull moose with antlers and elk,:)

Caribou_lou
02-09-2010, 10:35 AM
I think some didn't even hibernate this year. Any clue how that will affect the hunts? More rubbed bears?

I don't think we'll have to worry about that, as long as it stays cool at night they won't be rubbing.

Bow Walker
02-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I actually had to cut the grass yesterday. It had grown that much in the last couple of weeks, or so.

Very warm winter.

CanuckShooter
02-09-2010, 11:13 AM
What do you think? Will them coming out early be the precusor for some booner bears come fall??? Will they bulk up or just fatten up???

PressurePoint
02-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Im thinking the bears are starting to come out really early, and frankly, why wouldnt they...

dave_fras
02-09-2010, 02:00 PM
a buddy of mine ever got to watch one up june springs while he was working... it was the last day of bow season for deer!... now thats a late bear!

Timberjack
02-09-2010, 08:39 PM
No bears up this way yet, but the buds have burst on the salmonberry and alder. They could be in for a shock when we get our usual dump of late feb snow!!

TJ

BlacktailStalker
02-09-2010, 08:41 PM
No bears up this way yet, but the buds have burst on the salmonberry and alder. They could be in for a shock when we get our usual dump of late feb snow!!

TJ

Lets hope it comes !!!
I've been cutting bear tracks all winter around the 2,000' elevation mark.