PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Hunting Help

PAUL BORN
02-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Hello. I Am Going Grizz Hunting For The First Time This Spring In 6-30a. I Was Wondering If Anyone Could Offer Any Advice On Any Aspect Of This Hunt. I Have Been Told Hunting Avalanche Chutes Is A Good Idea As Well As Trying To Time Mating Season And Perhaps Call Them In? I Appreciate All Your Insight And Expertise. Hope You Guys All Have A Good Spring.

youngfellla
02-26-2006, 03:42 PM
My dad and I hunted that area a few years ago on a Fall Grizz Hunt, we were mostly on the Upper Kispiox, and the Sweetin and Nangeese Rivers.

Baldy Mntn might be a good place for spring. There is a logging road that takes you pretty high up, with a lot of open south-facing slopes. You need a quad or a lifted 4x4 to cross some of the deactivations. I can't remember the name of the road that takes you up, I'll ask my dad as he has hunted Goat up there a few times. I think the road is around 70 km on the Kispiox Valley road.

Hunting avalanche chutes is a good idea. In the early spring the bears will be looking for the first places to green up (south slopes), as there are no salmon runs in the spring they won't be down in the river valleys. Sometimes they look just like a steer grazing on the slopes. As far as the mating season, you might catch them if you go at the end of the season, in June.

What caliber will you be using? Make sure to break them down at the shoulders if you can, and don't stop shooting until he stops twitching.

PAUL BORN
02-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks For Your Reply I Appreciate The Help. I Will Take Out My Maps And See If I Can Locate The Specific Areas You Are Referring To. Paul