PDA

View Full Version : Williston lake info

Mtn Wonderer
02-08-2010, 10:05 PM
I am looking for info on travelling Williston lake by boat for up to 60 days the this August/September can anybody let me know what a boater can expect for wind swell conditions, What would you consider would be minimum vessel size for all weather conditions on williston lake, how much wood debris is floating around during full pool conditions??

THX

MTW

BCrams
02-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Its not a lake you want to get caught on. My in laws smashed a boat and they lost another boat and a pile of gear on a hunt. Lucky that was all they got away with.

I've seen that lake really whipped up from the air and not wishing anyone was on the water.

Floating debris is still prevalent and many people use jet boats to avoid prop / log collisions. Sandbars are to be watched for depending on where you are within the lake. Plan your beaching / anchor areas when the water whips up as going to shore is often not an option due to sand flats and / or steep drop offs.

02-09-2010, 12:41 PM
been a number of years but we used to moose hunt off the lake, we used a 18 foot aluminum hull but prop driven always took 3 props and always managed to hit either dead heads or submerged debris. Can be very dangerous, numberous lives have been lost even from tugs going down in that lake. Problem is it is not deep every where and the waves can come up big and fast. Try to find out all you can before venturing out there. As said already a jet boat would be better. Also, just be advised some Natives in the area, are not the most friendly and the RCMP are a long way away and really, they have their hands tied on the issues in the area.

by the way ..... good luck to you.

CT

Dually Guy
02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
been a number of years but we used to moose hunt off the lake, we used a 18 foot aluminum hull but prop driven always took 3 props and always managed to hit either dead heads or submerged debris. Can be very dangerous, numberous lives have been lost even from tugs going down in that lake. Problem is it is not deep every where and the waves can come up big and fast. Try to find out all you can before venturing out there. As said already a jet boat would be better. Also, just be advised some Natives in the area, are not the most friendly and the RCMP are a long way away and really, they have their hands tied on the issues in the area.

by the way ..... good luck to you.

CT
x2, I lived in that area when i was younger, lots of potential hazards in that lake. it is a man made lake, so sometimes you can see old logs deadheads og they sit just below the surface, sometimes even come wright out of the water with no warning, from the bottom. i worked no and aroun that lake for yrs logging , its neet but be prepared for anything. The log barge lost a rutter one time, massive rutter 5ton i beleive,they never did find it.Going brass hunting are we? good luck have fun

Dually Guy
02-09-2010, 01:04 PM
oh ya , stay away from FORT WARE IR:wink:

Mtn Wonderer
02-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info, we have 24' jet boat for the project hoping that it is large enough or we may need to find something bigger.

mtw

4 point
02-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Got caught on there one time years ago in a 24" riverboat with jet drive. We nearly lost everything including us. Better easier places to hunt than off that lake and Fort Ware for get it.

bridger
02-10-2010, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the info, we have 24' jet boat for the project hoping that it is large enough or we may need to find something bigger.

mtw

your boat is ok for the lake on good days when the water is calm, but as others have said the lake is extremely dangerous if you get caught in a bad wind storm that can come up suddenly. i have 23 foot jet boat and i am not comfortable on the lake with it. the best boats are big bayliner types that can handle waves, but debris is hard on props. if you go make sure you have good maps and get to shore at the first sign of a storm. unless you are going for the adventure there are better places to use your boat up here. lots of rivers to run with lots better hunting. williston offers some pretty fantastic fishing tho.

Mtn Wonderer
02-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Hunting would be a side line on this trip.

I am a hydrographer and there are plans to do a complete mapping of the lake:mrgreen:. It hasn't been awarded yet but if it does I will be looking for a bigger boat 26-28 foot. Sounds like I'll have to have a Jag of props to get though the project if I am involved.

Thanks.

MTW

sniper ren
02-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Been up and down the lake many times by air....Never by boat. I would suggest doing most of your traveling on the lake early morning....The lake seems to blow up through the late morning/early afternoon....I have seen it get pretty nasty in a hurry! Sweet spot to do some fishing though!

B.C.Boy(100%)
02-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Hunting would be a side line on this trip.

I am a hydrographer and there are plans to do a complete mapping of the lake:mrgreen:. It hasn't been awarded yet but if it does I will be looking for a bigger boat 26-28 foot. Sounds like I'll have to have a Jag of props to get though the project if I am involved.

Thanks.

MTW

Sounds like I'll be changing some props for you, and should bring a wetsuit & surfboard.:mrgreen:

elkdom
02-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Sounds like I'll be changing some props for you, and should bring a wetsuit & surfboard.:mrgreen:

and TWICE as much FUEL as you THINK you will need!:shock:

Mooseter
02-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I have been on the lake at the north end and up the Finlay and Akie also the Ingenika as far as Wrede Cr. All by jet boat. The lake is very tempermental and can have calm in one arm and huge waves in the main lake or sometimes the other way around.

I have not seen a lot of debris at that end but hear there is lots in other places.

Be very aware and careful about weather and wind.

Also FNs have placed some special conditions on the area so I go no more.

B

sako_300
02-10-2010, 09:14 PM
It's not for the tame of heart... nuff said.

02-10-2010, 09:22 PM
The only body of water I've ever been on that had me scared. Nasty with lots of dead-heads and sudden squals. Also, very few places to hide if the wind starts. I wouldn't want to spend 6 days on that lake, let alone 60.

Mtn Wonderer
02-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Definitely be looks to be one of our more burly projects, But I have done some time in the big stuff offshore so as long as we have the right carft we should be fine. One of the toughest parts if not the toughest of the project will be logistics, fuel, Housing, Food Etc..

I want to thank you guys for the insite up there!!!

MTW

Mtn Wonderer
03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Well the contract has been let, 3 -4 months work for 8-10 people. Unfortunately we were not successful in the bid, No 2 on the list.

I wouldn't be writing this but what bugs me is an American firm won the the Bid from BC Hydro. We have the skills here in our own province and now a Million dollars will be goiing state side!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!

I hope the weather is the shts for them!!!

MTW!!!

bowhunterbruce
03-31-2010, 09:07 PM
well hey, on the bright side i highly doubt the american firm know what they are going to be in for up there and they should spend more then a few dollars locally getting thier boat fixed all the time.maybe start a prop repair business up that way and charge them double what any local would pay.lol thereby bring some of that cash back into bc'ers pockets

sneg
04-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't be writing this but what bugs me is an American firm won the the Bid from BC Hydro. We have the skills here in our own province and now a Million dollars will be goiing state side!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR!!!
sad

BCrams
04-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Its not the first time and it won't be the last time this sort of thing happens. BC Hydro even awarded a contract for a boat launch to a company that has designed major marina's around the world like Dubai....when there were plenty of smaller contractors fully capable of the job at half the cost. BC Hydro tends to put image etc on who does works for them.

B.C.Boy(100%)
04-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Darn I was really looking forward to being up there with everyone, would have been a blast.