PDA

View Full Version : Good boots for Sheep Hunting

180grainer
02-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi everyone. I'm in the market for a pair of boots and thought I'd ask what everyone else is wearing out there. Will be used primarily for sheep/goat hunting and long backpacking trips in fairly rough country. Anyone have any suggestions on which brand/type of boot I should be looking at?

madrona sh
02-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Scarpa's are a great alpine boot.

waistdeep
02-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Hanwags are as good as I have found.

ElkMasterC
02-08-2010, 10:17 PM
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk210/heitor_punker/facepalm02.png

Do a quick search, there's TONS of threads on this site about boots.
EMC

BromBones
02-08-2010, 10:24 PM
I currently own a pair of Scarpas, AKU, and Lowa boots.

The AKU's are my favorite. 3 seasons of hard use, never had wet feet, and they are still in great shape. The Lowas are very nice and required very little break-in, very comfortable boot, but haven't had them on a long hunting trip yet, just day hikes around home.

The Scarpas have been okay. Nothing wrong with them, but nothing outstanding either - more of a backup boot for me.

Will never trust a pair of Meindls again...

snareman1234
02-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Just got a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400's

Very nice looking boot, has full grain leather unlike some others, seems to be very well built, I am impressed,

got them from over the line, total cost 307

ElkMasterC
02-08-2010, 10:31 PM
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/SheepinBoots.jpg

leadpillproductions
02-08-2010, 10:40 PM
i have and love asolo boots

yukon john
02-08-2010, 10:48 PM

Very nice looking boot, has full grain leather unlike some others, seems to be very well built, I am impressed,

tried meindls, irish setters and danners, they all failed on the sheep mountains. i love my kenetreks super comfortable I would recommend them to anybody. Different boots fit different people so no matter what you hear try them on if they dont fit send them back.

Everett
02-08-2010, 10:54 PM

The soles on my Kenetreks lasted exactly 63 days of hunting they are currently at Kennetrek hopefully being resoled under warrenty with vibram soles not the crap they have been specing. In their defense the most comfortable boots I have ever owned but very little ankle support. Personaly don't consider them a sheep hunting boot. I was told there will be new model on the market this year for sheep hunter that deals with the problems of the current models. My advise is send this pair back and buy the new version when it hits the market.

Johnnybear
02-08-2010, 11:02 PM
What EMC said. Do a search here and research all the boot threads. TONS of info. Good luck on your boots:-D.

bruin
02-09-2010, 12:30 AM
Spent 75 days sheep hunting in a pair of Kenetrek's this season and I loved them. That pair is done but I have never had any boot that will last more than a season. I bought the non-insulated because my feet sweat like crazy and they were very comfy and extremely light. I will be getting another pair for this season. Don't bother with Meindles.

kootenayelkslayer
02-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Spent 75 days sheep hunting in a pair of Kenetrek's this season and I loved them. That pair is done but I have never had any boot that will last more than a season.

That's because you've never tried Diotto's ;). That is the only boot I've had that lasted more than one season. I just don't know where to find them anymore. They are alot like the Kenetreks, just with a higher quality leather and a vibram sole.
I have the Kenetreks now, and I do like them alot, but the soles wear out very fast. The first season I had them, I wore holes right through the toes into the interior of the boot. I sent them back, they wouldn't replace them, but rather, re-soled them. When I took them back to work the next season, the soles started pealing off within the first 4 or 5 days. Wasn't happy. I'm going to send them back again this year, and if they don't replace them, I'll take my business elsewhere.

So, to answer your question on sheep boots, I'd try looking for the Diotto's that I speak of.

Ps. Does anyone know where to find Diotto's nowadays????:???:

Jordanna The Terrible
02-09-2010, 02:06 AM
I would go for Meindles or Hanwags. Hanwags seem to be a superiour boot, however a lot of people use Meindles and seem to get by okay. I would go with either or. Just make sure you try them both on and see what foot type you are.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-09-2010, 05:56 AM
That's because you've never tried Diotto's ;). That is the only boot I've had that lasted more than one season. I just don't know where to find them anymore. They are alot like the Kenetreks, just with a higher quality leather and a vibram sole.
I have the Kenetreks now, and I do like them alot, but the soles wear out very fast. The first season I had them, I wore holes right through the toes into the interior of the boot. I sent them back, they wouldn't replace them, but rather, re-soled them. When I took them back to work the next season, the soles started pealing off within the first 4 or 5 days. Wasn't happy. I'm going to send them back again this year, and if they don't replace them, I'll take my business elsewhere.

So, to answer your question on sheep boots, I'd try looking for the Diotto's that I speak of.

Ps. Does anyone know where to find Diotto's nowadays????:???:

Robertson's Clothing in Kelowna carry them..or at least "did" carry them fairly recently.
A buddy who's tough on boots had a pair of Diottos and preferred them over his new Kennetreks.

SSS

bigwhiteys
02-09-2010, 11:03 AM
I've put a few hundred miles on my Hanwags now between training and hunting and they are still in good shape. The rubber rand has taken an ass-kicking from all the scree and shale but it's not peeling or coming apart yet... Soles are still in good shape, lots of tread left and the leather is still good and keeps the water out. I'll probably continue buying Hanwag.

Carl

kootenayelkslayer
02-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Robertson's Clothing in Kelowna carry them..or at least "did" carry them fairly recently.
A buddy who's tough on boots had a pair of Diottos and preferred them over his new Kennetreks.

SSS

Hmm thanks, I'll look into that. They use to carry them in Cranbrook, but I'm pretty sure the store burnt down and never re-opened.

Buck
02-09-2010, 07:24 PM
The AKU's are my favorite

I will second that mine are very comfortable and well made.They hold my foot well in the boot no matter the grade up or down.Mine are non goretex leather and my feet don't sweat in them.Currently Looking for some AKU Vertigo GTX with Goretex i have gone through 2 pair of Meindles the Aku fit me a bit better.

bruin
02-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Is this the diotto model you're talking about?

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/3/533//CANADIA000001.jpg (javascript:showEnlargedView('', '');)

Everett
02-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Looks identical to my kennetreks what sole are on them.

kootenayelkslayer
02-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Is this the diotto model you're talking about?

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/3/533//CANADIA000001.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:showEnlargedView('', '');)

Ya that looks roughly like the one. The pair that I had was from about 4 years ago. So assuming the quality has changed in that time, I'd definitely be interested in buying another pair. A bit more expensive than the Kenetrek, but worth it if you can get a few seasons out of them.

bruin
02-09-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't quite understand. It says they have a vibram sole just like a kenetrek boot and the set up is the same. Other than the tongue style I don't see much of a difference.

Everett
02-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Kennetreks do not have a vibram sole which is there biggest problem from my perspective. I assume both are made on the same production line in italy.

brenden
02-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I work in the forestry industry and put on the miles. I am currently wearing scarpa liskamms and they are a good boot but I absolutely love my Canada Pros by Meindl. For sheep country the Scarpas have the edge but for day to day the higher cuff and comfort of the meindl are my personal favorite. The best boots are the ones that are the most comfortable and functional for what you do. The Liskamms are more boot than 90% of hunters need. The Canada pros are my recomendation for a high end all purpose boot.

Brenden

Maxx
02-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Kennetreks do not have a vibram sole which is there biggest problem from my perspective. I assume both are made on the same production line in italy.

I agree with you totally about the vibram sole lacking on the kentrecks, they are great boots but the soles of my meindls are much better.

kootenayelkslayer
02-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't quite understand. It says they have a vibram sole just like a kenetrek boot and the set up is the same. Other than the tongue style I don't see much of a difference.

Hmm well the Kenetreks don't have Vibram soles, the Diotto's do. But what I remember most about the Diotto's is how well the leather lasted. I always treat and waterproof the leather on my boots, religiously you might say. The leather on the Diotto's stayed in great shape for 2, almost 3 years. I find the Kenetrek leather starts going bad pretty quick after one year.

mark
02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
I work in the forestry industry and put on the miles. I am currently wearing scarpa liskamms and they are a good boot but I absolutely love my Canada Pros by Meindl. For sheep country the Scarpas have the edge but for day to day the higher cuff and comfort of the meindl are my personal favorite. The best boots are the ones that are the most comfortable and functional for what you do. The Liskamms are more boot than 90% of hunters need. The Canada pros are my recomendation for a high end all purpose boot.

Brenden

Brendan, you must have one of the old stock models! The canada pros made in the past 3 years are crap! I bought a pair about 3 years ago and they leaked like slippers, feet wet in under an hour! Took em back, got another pair, basically the same thing! (and yes I know how to take care of, and grease boots)
Over $400 and wet feet, even from melting snow or wet grass, and I live in the driest climate in the province!
There has been many threads on this topic, I wouldn't recommend Meindles to anyone!

Im in the market for new boots, Ill check into them Diotto's at robertsons this week and let you guys know!

Islandeer
02-11-2010, 07:59 PM
I went thru the boot shop last season and after much research and testimonials I settled with a pair of Hanwags,Alaskans. Great boot,comfy out of the box. Vibrum sole,gore tec lined. tough and comfy. got them from Monrods. A few guys have them here,do a boot search for more info.

BCrams
02-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I went thru the boot shop last season and after much research and testimonials I settled with a pair of Hanwags,Alaskans. Great boot,comfy out of the box. Vibrum sole,gore tec lined. tough and comfy. got them from Monrods. A few guys have them here,do a boot search for more info.

You can't go wrong with the Alaskans from Monods. I've owned a pair as well as the Alaska Top GTX (Monod does not carry) Yukons, and Trapper Top GTX (the Hanwag pair I last owned).

I just went through a pair of Lowa's after a disastrous try out of the Meindle Canada's on a sheep hunt.

My two top picks are the Lowa Sheep Hunters and the Trapper Top GTX. The Lowas I just went through went through 3 sheep hunts (1 stone and 2 dall trips including the rock pit where the boots really took a beating) and a tonne of use in between for recreational hiking and for fall hunting. A lot of mileage!!

Slee
02-11-2010, 08:44 PM
The best boots I have ever used in the mountains was a pair of Koflach Alaska hunter boots. They were a pair of plastic double boot. Nice and light, kept my feet dry and took a beating. I had one pair for 8 years and just replaced in inner booty a couple of times. Never even had to get them resoled.

BlacktailStalker
02-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Kennetreks are made by the old owner/maker of schnees now I'm told and apparently has upped the quality even more, not that they were a poor choice before.
I'll echo, Meindls are GARBAGE and I have had 3 pairs in 3 different models now that 2 broke down/failed within 3 months of use and the one set that was "ok" was ruined by them on a warranty return and then proceeded to tell me I 'neglected' them and was S.O.L :roll:

I would like to buy hanwags but I have a REAL hard time buying from the same people who make Meindls.
I will likely buy a set of kennetreks and one other brand which is still to be determined and report back to hopefully help as a future reference for the hard decision of boot shopping (one of the hardest IMO)

Kody94
02-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Its a real shame that it seems Meindle has gone for a crapper. My old Meindle Super Cracks are some of the best boots I have ever owned.

I am currently using Lowa Sheep Hunter GTXs. I am very pleased with them so far. They are a long way from being worn out at this point.

mark
02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Im in the market for new boots, Ill check into them Diotto's at robertsons this week and let you guys know!

Just for anyone interested, Robertsons in Kelowna still has some Diotto's left but says they can no longer get them!
I tried on a pair and loved em, bought them on the spot!

Hotshoe
02-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Curious to hear more from everyone regarding the problems with meindle. I bought a pair directly from Meindle about 5 years ago, put them through numerous sheep hunts, moose hunts,etc. (guiding) and they never gave me any problems. Still waterproof, had to shoe goo the soles this past year, but other than that I thought they were god's gift to foot wear! Are the bad ones perhaps the cheaper models made in conjunction with Cabela's?

budismyhorse
02-12-2010, 08:52 AM
To answer the original question differently, get a pair of Full Shank boots with high, waterproof uppers. Make sure you walk them out before you go sheep hunting with them.

hotshoe,

you are for sure right about the Cabelas Meidls however the problem goes further than that. Do a quick search on this site and you'll find some "fun filled" threads about the problems. Pictures and everything!

or better yet, ask BCRams to forward you the links.

For what its worth, I bought a pair of Canada Pros in 2004 and they were absolutely awesome!

Devilbear
02-12-2010, 09:35 AM

Brenden

Where in BC can you find Scarpa Liskamms, I want a pair of these badly.

swampthing
03-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I have the Kenetreks and love them. I have done mostly deer huntin in them but have done one goat hunt. Mine seem to be holdin up well. I will keep an eye on the soles. I personally dont like vibram soles. Not much traction and noisy but not quite as noisy as my worn out knee. Crunch, Crunch. The bobsoles that come on Danners are the best traction you can find. A bobsole on a pair of Kenetreks would be the ultimate.

Krico
04-01-2010, 07:31 PM

I know the Valhalla Pure Outfitters in Smithers used to carry them, I tried them out when out there for work. They did not fit my feet right. Haven't stopped in there for a while but I would imagine they can bring them in if not still stocking...

kennyj
04-01-2010, 08:19 PM
I've been wearing Schnees Hunters with the boob sole for years and I love them.
kenny

Slee
04-01-2010, 08:34 PM

These will be my next pair of mountain boots. I have seen them at MEC and VPO......