PDA

View Full Version : Prince George

BCHoyt
02-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Just wondering how many are from the PG area... My wife has a possible job up there and we may be moving in the fall... Just wondering what its like up there? I would assume its great for outdoor activities and such.. Seems like housing is pretty cheap... We are probably coming up in Aug to check out the area and see what we can find for places to live..

peashooter
02-08-2010, 08:15 PM
did you say moving TO prince george? usually people are going the other direction. seems like its a love it or hate it place. lots of outdoors to explore. bring your bug spray and nose plugs.

andyp007
02-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Many excellent moose hunting areas within an hour or less.

KB90
02-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Not my favorite town. Stuck here for school, but hey it's a heck of a lot better than the LML.

moosinaround
02-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Born and raised in PG. On a bad day it gets a little smelly. Find a place west of town and out of the bowl and you don't have to worry about the smell. Hunting 10 minutes from town in any direction. Affordable housing, a university, college and many private schools. Lots of recreational opps as well. Good choice if you like the cold and the snow, 5mnths of winter!! PM me if you need more info. Moosinaround

Bowzone_Mikey
02-08-2010, 08:36 PM
I live here ... Its not terrible
Between Husky and the Mills .. it has a tendency to get smelly ... the odd morning I gag on my way into town ...but that why I live out of the Valley or Bowl as most call it .... Dont expect the alignment on your truck to last long around here tho

BCHoyt
02-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I grew up with my dad working at a Pulp Mill and spent a lot of time there... The smell doesnt really bother me all that much.. We would probably be living outside of town.. Probably rent a place for the first lil while til we decide what area we would want to buy in and of cource find a place..

lightmag
02-09-2010, 12:13 AM
born and raised for 35 years, love it!! if you like hunting, fishing, camping , hiking , quading, etc.. you can't beat it!! big city businesses, less traffic, better quality of life!! come on up.

stick to the hart hwy area and west of town, beverley/collage hts and you will have no concerns with pulp mill smells either.

CanuckShooter
02-09-2010, 08:09 AM
If you have kids you'll want to watch where you buy because they can't seem to keep schools open for long. I personally wouldn't buy west of town because it's too busy....but that would be your personal preference. Stay out of the bowl and you should do fine.

Buy beer, and the locals will tell you all the good hunting and fishing spots!!:mrgreen:

Flingin' Sticks
02-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Hunting 10 minutes from town in any direction. Affordable housing, a university, college and many private schools. Lots of recreational opps as well. Good choice if you like the cold and the snow, 5mnths of winter!! PM me if you need more info. Moosinaround

X2

Moved here for school 5 years ago, and am trying to find ways to not leave for any longer than I have to. Once you get used to the smell (smells like money, but that's just me) this place just grows on a person. best way I can describe PG is a medium size city that still has a hick town mentality. shoot out a PM if you'd like some more questions answered.

mxracer328
02-09-2010, 10:11 AM
i like it here, has everything you need without the lineups and traffic. like everyone else is saying stay out of the bowl, my folks live out west of PG and i love it, except for the drive once in a while. the summers are alright, dont get the long heat spells like farther south, and the winters can be on the chilly side, (but not this winter). hunting and fishing within minutes or at your door step. good on finding a place you like, and on the move, i think youll like it up here.

338 winmag
02-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Left the Okanagan to come here , best move i ever made.

Caribou_lou
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I live within 4 hours drive, I like PG, but its a bit big for me. Use to go there alot in my younger days. many beautiful ladies in PG!!

barry1974w
02-09-2010, 11:57 AM
I like it in P.G. Things are a bit slow right now, but hopefully they get better soon. Like everybody else says, stay out of the bowl. I live north west of town, no smell up here, four minute walk to the school (for now), five minute walk to the lake, seven minute walk to the liquor store, fifteen minute drive to Timmy's, twenty minutes to down town. Takes a while to get to WalMart though, but I can live with that. If you're coming up to look around, shoot me a PM, if I'm around maybe we'll get together for a beer and a bullshit.

7mag700
02-09-2010, 02:18 PM
PG City - Hole
Surrounding Area - Heaven

7m7

4 point
02-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Left PG in 76 and it was booming. Went to Cranbrook now that's a great town and area. Back to Kamloops in 78 and been here since. Home is were you make it and for hunting & fishing many places in the BC interior are great.

jml11
02-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Not my favorite town. Stuck here for school, but hey it's a heck of a lot better than the LML.

and Quesnel :-D

ryanhuntslots
02-09-2010, 05:31 PM
look for a place at the top of the hart hwy and the pulp mills wont bother you,, not to many rubby dubs up here either,,, guess the dont want to ride the city bus to town,,my wife and son and I have taken 7 moose in 7 years all from 17 minutes of our door.. the fishing is fan-freakin-tastik for trout, whitefish, char,bulltrout, lingcod, grayling and brookies. I was born here,,, lived here for all but 3 of my 35 years and the only move i would make is to go farther north,,, if you have work you wont regret the move..... just stay out of my hunting spots,,,,,, you can probably follow moosin into his,,, i bet he'll share

SLIK
02-09-2010, 05:44 PM
OHH NOOO don't live in the bowl it's horrible. The smell it's......it's stinkee...

It ussually only smells about 2 days a week and only sticks around for a couple hours. I find it's the worst when there's high humidity and no wind.
And as far as the bowl being a hole. There's a couple areas you want to stay out of. But there's alot of nice older neighbourhoods around. I know most of my neighbours, we have bbq's in the summer and look out for each other/help each other out with gardens and such.

And crime.....I grew up in Surrey, Prince George isn't worth complaining about. I've been broken into once in 4 years. They stole my playstation, when I woke up from my nap they ran out the front door. Big deal, except I really want my memory card back.

And ya I do plan on moving out of the bowl, but for now it's the most convenient place to live. I only drive an extra 10-15 minutes fro hunting, I walk to work and I don't need to buy a snowblower.

ThinAir
02-09-2010, 06:15 PM

Ha ha thats what I thought!

Beardy
02-09-2010, 08:06 PM
I miss Prince George! But yeah, stick with what the others are saying, the Hart is by far the best place to live!

goon
02-09-2010, 08:18 PM
if you dont mind 3 weeks of extra winter

kako
02-09-2010, 08:23 PM
would give anything to live up there...any work?

moosinaround
02-09-2010, 08:41 PM
look for a place at the top of the hart hwy and the pulp mills wont bother you,, not to many rubby dubs up here either,,, guess the dont want to ride the city bus to town,,my wife and son and I have taken 7 moose in 7 years all from 17 minutes of our door.. the fishing is fan-freakin-tastik for trout, whitefish, char,bulltrout, lingcod, grayling and brookies. I was born here,,, lived here for all but 3 of my 35 years and the only move i would make is to go farther north,,, if you have work you wont regret the move..... just stay out of my hunting spots,,,,,, you can probably follow moosin into his,,, i bet he'll share
Hell if he is buying the beer and gas i'll share in a heart beat!! Oh and you still ain't shown me where those big Freakin dollies were caught, I can't find "Zippermouth Creek"!!!!

KB90
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Ha ha thats what I thought!

Hey now!? Quesnel is way better than this hole :mrgreen: I love it there.

sako7mm
02-09-2010, 09:01 PM

Your living in the bowl, huh? I lived in quesnel before, I live here now:tongue: and enjoy the area, the town is okay but LOVE the country :mrgreen:

moosinaround
02-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Quesnel is just a smaller Prince George!! Stinky mill town striving to lose the stereotype image!! Yah sure you golf 3 weeks sooner, big deal!! Does Quesnel have an airport? A university? A community college?....opps it does have that!! It also has an enourmous mulie buck that lives next door to the McDonalds!! Holy crap he was a HUGE bugger!!! Quesnel is an alright little town, it does have mutant rainbows in Dragon too!!!:wink:Moosin

KB90
02-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Quesnel is just a smaller Prince George!! Stinky mill town striving to lose the stereotype image!! Yah sure you golf 3 weeks sooner, big deal!! Does Quesnel have an airport? A university? A community college?....opps it does have that!! It also has an enourmous mulie buck that lives next door to the McDonalds!! Holy crap he was a HUGE bugger!!! Quesnel is an alright little town, it does have mutant rainbows in Dragon too!!!:wink:Moosin

Yeeeeeah Moooooosin.

It is an alright town:mrgreen: I think I like it more cause I know the country, and there is less people :)

landphil
02-09-2010, 09:16 PM

HAHA, funny stuff! I'll add my two cents though, QuesnHell still sounds better then Pig's Gorge. :mrgreen:

moosinaround
02-09-2010, 10:12 PM
HAHA, funny stuff! I'll add my two cents though, QuesnHell still sounds better then Pig's Gorge. :mrgreen:
Man I tell ya I hate "The PeeG" what a fricken stupid nickname!!! Even pig's gorge is better than "The PeeG"!!!

killman
02-09-2010, 10:28 PM
It's like any place, it's what you make of it. Houses are cheap, pay is good, lots to keep the kids busy if you choose. Although every time I go back to Enderby where I grew up I think I should move back, that is until I grab a Real Estate guide...

PgHunterKid
02-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Prince George is decent... You can get a nice house for a good price in town or out. Great hunting and fishing all around.

TARCHER
02-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Sent you a PM. Moved the family from Victoria 10 years ago. Great opportunities for quallified proffessionals. An outstanding place to raise a family. Get involved with x country skiing at ottway, some snowshoes, the silvertip archery club and your set. Judy Russells for the girls who like dancing, all kinds of stuff to do. We live in college heights area, close to dam near everything. Hunting is fabulous. Can't sy enough about the people here. 3 hrs east you climbing mt robson. A best kept secret. I could go on and on. Do miss steelhead fishing in the south van island rivers but no crowds here. Stay out og the bowl your ok. Even then lots of days a slight breeze carries the smell of $ away. PG is a great place if you get involved. .

XMD70
02-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Moved here "for just one year" in 1974. Fill the freezer every year, usually less than 30 minutes from home.

Krico
02-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Well I live in the "horrible" bowl...and am happy to say the hospital, government agencies, aquatic centre, coliseum, CN Centre, grocery stores, restaurants, and countless other handy little bits of civilization are about 5 minutes from my house. 40 yards out my back door and I'm walking the dogs along the Nechako River. Never been broken into, and the elementary school 2 blocks away is not closing anytime soon, so my Kindergarten and grade 3 aged kids don't have a shitty bus ride twice a day for 13 years straight... Try finding that anywhere in the beloved outskirts so many here are convinced you must live in. There are nice neighborhoods all over the city...just rent for a few months and decide for yourself where you want to live.

If you do have little kids, or plan to, (or even if you don't!) the one place I would recommend you not live is in the VLA. Carney Hill Elementary is going to be an "aboriginal choice school" and is the absolute last place I would send my children. But that's a conversation for another day.

LYKTOHUNT
02-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Man I tell ya I hate "The PeeG" what a fricken stupid nickname!!! Even pig's gorge is better than "The PeeG"!!!
Well how about ***** smell

yukon john
02-10-2010, 01:00 PM
PG City - Hole
Surrounding Area - Heaven

7m7
My thoughts exactly, there is some real nice farms out buy nukko lake for dirt cheap

timberhunter
02-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Been in PG for just about two weeks now. Gonna be hard to head home. If I could line up an electrician job I wouldn't be heading home. Just phone the wife and tell her to pack up the house we're moving.

Any electricians on here from PG?

fester
02-10-2010, 09:45 PM
If you have kids you'll want to watch where you buy because they can't seem to keep schools open for long. I personally wouldn't buy west of town because it's too busy....but that would be your personal preference. Stay out of the bowl and you should do fine.

Buy beer, and the locals will tell you all the good hunting and fishing spots!!:mrgreen:

When we moved here last year we looked at some places along the Blackwater road. They were nice but we chose for the north chief lake highway 97 area. It is so busy out west. I could not imagine if we bought out there.

BCHoyt
02-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Well I was born and raised on the Island but have lived all over BC, and I am just totally sick of the Island and Victoria especially.... Its just too busy here and everyone is way too clicky and stuck up... Drivers are horrible here, and If I stay any longer Im gonna end up driving someone off the road! lol I lived in Fort St. John for a little and now that is a HOLE.. lol Passed thru PG on my way to there and it didnt seem to bad then.. We are definately coming up that way in the Summer to have a look around and hopefully Ill have some interviews lined up!

We are gonna start out renting a place until we decide what exact area we want to buy in.. We dont have to worry about being around schools as we dont have any kids and my wife cant have them anyways.. So our kids are our pets...

We are actually really looking forward to haveing real winters with SNOW!!! So tired of all the rain here!! Want to get into snowshoeing for sure. Wife Ski's and I board so thats perfect! We both love fishing, hiking, camping etc.. I love to hunt... 4X4, quad, you name it! Anything outdoors!

So Ill definately post up when we are coming up and hopefully get a chance to meet some of you guys! Otherwise Ill meet ya after we move! lol... Could use some hunting and fishing buddies for sure! lol

swampthing
02-10-2010, 09:54 PM
I am one year new to PG. Everybody says the huntin is great but where are the deer. I think you need to know a local because I cant hardly find a place to ride my quad let alone my new dirt bike. Lots of work though.

eaglesnester
02-11-2010, 08:27 AM
They got moose walking down the street in some of the residential areas. Just grab your bow and shoot one in your front yard. Got to watch for em when driving around the outskirts at dusk and dawn. Folks hit em all the time with their cars. I guess they like the populated areas as they know they are safe.

billjc33
02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Timberhunter what kind of electrical do you do? There are a couple of companies hiring but it usually means you'll have to work outta town a bit until things pick up a little more.