PDA

View Full Version : FSR VHF radio

okanagan hiker
02-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi all...

I have tried to do Google searches on this subject, but I having little luck.

I was wondering if there is a reasonably priced hand held VHF reciever that I could get to monitor FSR logging truck traffic.

Also, do I need a liscence for a hand held VHF reciever?

Thanks,
OKH

FLHTCUI
02-08-2010, 07:22 PM
yes you need a license to monitor those freqencies.
Logging companies pay big dollars to have those frequencies for their equipment operators and drivers and ground crew to work in and around the forest to be safe.
You generally need an Amateur Radio Lic. to buy a radio that is or might be able to operate on those frequencies.
It does not mean you will not find someone that is breaking the law by selling one to you.
Just be aware that operating one of those radios with out proper lic. is illegal and/or operating one of those radios that has been altered to operate on those said frequencies is illegal to have in your possesion.
So, enough of my negativity and let the others who know more than me chime in.
Rob

Mik
02-08-2010, 07:31 PM
As far as I know you Do Not need a licence to monitor. If you decide you need to "call" then you would require a "radio operators licence"

SUAFOYT
02-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi all...

I have tried to do Google searches on this subject, but I having little luck.

I was wondering if there is a reasonably priced hand held VHF reciever that I could get to monitor FSR logging truck traffic.

Also, do I need a liscence for a hand held VHF reciever?

Thanks,
OKH

No problem- PM me if you wish and I can point you to a Van retailer that sells hand helds.

okanagan hiker
02-08-2010, 07:37 PM
I should have been more specific... "do I need a liscence for a hand held VHF reciever?"... I meant to say - do I need a liscence for a hand held SCANNER?

Thanks

Barracuda
02-08-2010, 07:37 PM
no liscence is needed to just monitor. I normally use a scanner for that

vortex
02-08-2010, 07:39 PM
With the new Industry Canada Reg's, you actually need permission in writing to have any of the owners frequencies entered in a 2 way radio (eg. MOF, logging companies, S&R etc.). Front programmable radios are somewhat difficult to obtain now although they are still available...almost black market like. Radios and frequencies have become WAY more regulated in the last couple of years.

gwillim
02-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I work in the forest industry, and have run into people who have rented radios with the forest company frequencies programmed in to the set. From a forestry worker point of view it is a lot nicer to have the recreational users on the same channel as us (prevents scary encounters).

FLHTCUI
02-08-2010, 08:45 PM
I work in the forest industry, and have run into people who have rented radios with the forest company frequencies programmed in to the set. From a forestry worker point of view it is a lot nicer to have the recreational users on the same channel as us (prevents scary encounters).

I would agree with your statement about knowing who is coming around the blind corner at 23km mark at Zipper Lip mountain.
But as OK Hiker has mentioned , he wants to just monitor via scanner and no paperwork is needed for Scanners.
Better Safe Than Sorry.
Rob

uraarchr
02-08-2010, 08:52 PM
don't the signs at the start of FSR's state that users of fsrs should have radio on??

madrona sh
02-08-2010, 09:00 PM
You do not need a radio.There is no such thing as a radio controlled road, no matter what the signs say. You just drive with caution with your lights on under the speed limit.

ufishifish2
02-08-2010, 09:03 PM
As far as following the rules to a "T" - FLHTCUI is totally correct if you were to get a VHF radio for your vehicle or a handheld. With that said, I run a couple pickups in the bush and have a bunch of vhf handheld radios, and none have ever been licensed. If you were driving a logging truck across scales with associated inspections, etc... then I would license it. Other than that, buy one at a local radio shop or even e-bay for that matter, and rest easy knowing that the chance of getting caught with it is about 1 in a million, and really, how many years will you spend in jail for having an unlicensed radio with channels only for monitoring logging roads??
I picked up a couple new Kenwood handheld VHF radios with about 100 channels on each for about $400.00 a few months ago. They are cheap compared to the accidents you could get in not having one............
Now go do the right (but wrong) thing!!

ve7iuq
02-08-2010, 09:39 PM
1) You do not require a licence of any type, to use a receiving only radio, and monitor the logging frequencies.

2) The FSR radios are the wrong frequency range for the logging frequencies.
Logging frequencies are in the VHF (Very high frequency) range while the FSR radios are in the UHF (Ultra high frequency.)
BIG difference.

Get a scanner. Not too expensive, learn how it works, then set it to the frequency which will be posted on a sign when you enter a controlled logging road.
The truck drivers will appreciate that you have some way of knowing where they are.

madrona sh
02-08-2010, 09:56 PM
I think he means forest service road when he says FSR. But good point.

KodiakHntr
02-08-2010, 10:48 PM
You do not need a radio.There is no such thing as a radio controlled road, no matter what the signs say. You just drive with caution with your lights on under the speed limit.

Well, you are 100% wrong there....There are several areas with radio controlled roads...

okanagan hiker
02-08-2010, 11:45 PM
1) You do not require a licence of any type, to use a receiving only radio, and monitor the logging frequencies.

2) The FSR radios are the wrong frequency range for the logging frequencies.
Logging frequencies are in the VHF (Very high frequency) range while the FSR radios are in the UHF (Ultra high frequency.)
BIG difference.

Get a scanner. Not too expensive, learn how it works, then set it to the frequency which will be posted on a sign when you enter a controlled logging road.
The truck drivers will appreciate that you have some way of knowing where they are.
---------------------------
By "FSR radio is in the UHF..." did you mean FRS radio???

madrona sh
02-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Sorry Kodiachntr You can call your road that on your private property. But on crown land that public can access there is no such thing. Ask Worksafe BC The radio controlled thing has been abolished long ago.

Drillbit
02-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Just buy a radio. If you want a handheld, Icom f14's are around 300 bucks. If you get the big antena mounted on your truck it will have way better range and will be usefull, a handheld won't have much range inside the cab of a truck. Learn the radio talk so you know what to say and the guys on the road know what you are saying (1701 empty pick-up, or 1701 up). Remember you are communicating for safety only, don't talk when you don't need to (don't call every km), don't try to be funny, don't let kids play with it .
Find out the frequency's you need for the roads you want to be travelling on and get them programmed into the radio and have the list with the radio.

You are supposed to have a radio licence to operate these, and the last time I checked it was fairly cheap around $50 a year. The only people that may check for that are DOT, but they usually don't worry about pick-ups. If you are worried about being by the book, get the permit. You don't need the radio, but they are nice to have not only for traffic safety, but even for breakdowns, or getting stuck. Scanners won't help you out with that.

KodiakHntr
02-09-2010, 05:34 AM
Sorry Kodiachntr You can call your road that on your private property. But on crown land that public can access there is no such thing. Ask Worksafe BC The radio controlled thing has been abolished long ago.

Well, considering roads and road use is a big part of my every day job, I'm fairly confident that there are still some radio controlled roads in existance.

A couple Mining roads come to mind right off the bat.

Not that it matters though, as this has pretty much zero to do with the OP's question in the first place. So disagree if you like, I really don't care.

Cub Driver
02-10-2010, 12:10 PM
I have a Icom hand held model IC-W32A FM Transceiver. This radio will recieve/transmit either UHF of VHF. You can program repeater channels with off set. Will also transmit on some avaiation channels. This radio is user programmable. This radio was about $850 new. However, I Icom as a similar model for about $400.

Stresd
02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Front programmable radios are somewhat difficult to obtain now although they are still available...almost black market like.

The radios we have been using for years with excellent success is the Icom 2200H. Are they what you would consider a black market front programable?? Still available as far as I can see. we use them with great success.

vortex
02-10-2010, 09:32 PM
The radios we have been using for years with excellent success is the Icom 2200H. Are they what you would consider a black market front programable?? Still available as far as I can see. we use them with great success.
Someone can correct me if I understand the rules wrong but the recent Industry Canada regs don't allow VHF FM radio dealers in Canada to sell front programmable radios unless the front program function is disabled. You may still be able to buy a radio off ebay or wherever (non-dealer) and the old radios will still work provided they can be narrow banded (12.5 MHz spacing capability) for repeaters. The old radios won't be a problem unless you go to get a radio licence. Trust me, Industry Canada guys have been in our shop checking that ALL the field programmable features of the handhelds and base station radios are disabled. Literally radio police. As for recieving or scanning, its not an issue, transmitting is their beef.

T300WSM
02-10-2010, 10:46 PM
The laws may have changed but in the past you could have a base or truck vhf radio and recive but not transmit without a licince. This meant you could have a truck vhf radio in your truck or home as long as the mike was not attached to the radio, you could have the mike with you just not attached to the radio. It was legal to listen but not to brodacast or transmit. I may be wrong. Also with hand held radios or base or truck modles, you did not need a licince if the radio is 5 watts or under, most hh radios are 5 watts or under. Most truck radios are 40 watts and up. Again i am not sure if the laws have been changed but thats what they were.

okanagan hiker
02-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Anyone have any experience with this? - RadioShack® 200-Channel VHF/AIR/WX/UHF Handheld Scanner... $99.99 US

Stresd
02-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Someone can correct me if I understand the rules wrong but the recent Industry Canada regs don't allow VHF FM radio dealers in Canada to sell front programmable radios unless the front program function is disabled. You may still be able to buy a radio off ebay or wherever (non-dealer) and the old radios will still work provided they can be narrow banded (12.5 MHz spacing capability) for repeaters. The old radios won't be a problem unless you go to get a radio licence. Trust me, Industry Canada guys have been in our shop checking that ALL the field programmable features of the handhelds and base station radios are disabled. Literally radio police. As for recieving or scanning, its not an issue, transmitting is their beef.

Just checked and still available in Canada from a multitude of dealers. Found them priced as low as $209 . ctcss capable toneable channels so even the newer forestry channels they tested on the island will work.
http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/ftp/DSI/external/!publish/Road_Radio_Pilot_DSI/Industry_Canada_PRC_07-1.pdf

Rod
02-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I have been looking for a front programmable radio since my old one was stolen, not knowing anything about what I need can anyone point me at a radio model that would allow me to program FSR frequencies?

I have looked at a couple and I am unsure if they are what is required but here is a link. http://www.nevesuniforms.com/productdetail.asp?groupnumber=1468 these are a couple of hundred $ US.

I would go with a pre programmed radio but I now hunt, travel and haul my horse trailer on FSR's from the LM to PG and the Okanagan so I am assuming I will need a wide range of frequencies and I might only travel a certain road once so why pay to program in that frequency..

I know this is somewhat of a questionable practice but I think toeing the line for the sake of my safety and thet of my horses and the other users on the roads justifies it..

gibblewabble
02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
I was told in 2008 that they were changing to 30 channels for the whole province to simplify things, that would be nice.

Samsquantch
02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I picked up a handheld horizon HX370S when i first moved to terrace cause i hated running into loaded trucks up the copper on blind corners, and im sure they hated me. The reception is good, the transmission power is shit (The copper FSR also has many dead spots) but it does work for monitoring other users and calling klicks when people are hauling. Programmed 40 of the Terrace/Nass/Hazelton roads on it and it has all marine channels as well. $337 three years ago. At least this will give you an idea of what price to pay for what functions.
Overall im happy with what i got for what i paid.

madrona sh
02-11-2010, 12:09 PM
You can buy a radio and get the local radio service company to install the frequency s you need on it for a small fee. You do not have to buy a programmable radio. Just tell them what you want it for they will be happy to help.and you can walk out the door with what you need in 15 min.

Drillbit
02-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Truck VHF's

For a cheap way to go
TAD MD 150 40 channel. They are programmable. Google dealer programming tad radios. Should be able to find one for 200-250.

For a great radio a TAD M10 is great 400 channel with better readouts and scan, but they cost over $500 for a used one. Self programmable.

There are programmabe ICOM's and kenwoods but I don't know the models.

moosinaround
02-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Truck VHF's

For a cheap way to go
TAD MD 150 40 channel. They are programmable. Google dealer programming tad radios. Should be able to find one for 200-250.

For a great radio a TAD M10 is great 400 channel with better readouts and scan, but they cost over $500 for a used one. Self programmable.

There are programmabe ICOM's and kenwoods but I don't know the models.
Yup what he said! Hit a Ritchie brothers auction. You can usually buy Tads or Kenwoods for at least half the price if not more of a new one. You will probably get it with the antenna and brackets too. They will have handhelds also, usually preprogrammed with the bush channels. I have a Kenwood 99 channel that has a wired in plug for 12V, like a lighter plug. Get a magnetic antenna, run it through the rear slider window a whoola, portable, no drilling of the dash!! Mount it in a brief case or build a box for it, and it can ride on yer quad too! I bought the licence when I was consulting cause the forest company wanted to see it, but I never renewed it. Moosin

Dukeofearle2000
02-14-2010, 01:14 AM
We use these icom h-16 programables. Worked on industrial roads all over Canada. Simply program in the frequencies that are usually posted at the start of the road, or contact the area office for the roads you are going to be on. Never had a licence and never had a complaint from a driver that knows we are coming lnstead of being surprised. But remember having a radio does not mean you are safe to fly around on the roads-others still do not have them. Here is a good deal.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/11270703

Sitkaspruce
02-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Check out this info.

http://www.bcforestsafe.org/forestry_trucksafe.html

Go down to the two paper, discussion and full report.

it will give you some insite into what will be happening.

I have TAD programable 99 channel and it works great.

Cheers

SS