PDA

View Full Version : Feed Lots???

Mulehahn
02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
My wife's cousin has a few sections of land a east of PG that he raises cattle and hay on. But with all the pine beetle he has cleared alot more land than he needs, or wants put the time into harvesting so we were joking he should put some deer feed lots out, the kind that are always advertised in american hunting mags with special clover, etc designed to increase antler growth. I have a couple of questions though. Are they even legal in BC? Would they work with mulies? Would they be considered baiting, any more so than crops used for silage? It was more a less a joke by me so I could get a trophy animal while sleeping in a real bed, but it got me thinking? Thanks.

lip_ripper00
02-08-2010, 12:14 PM
The only animal your not allowed to bait is bear, go figure:confused:

Gateholio
02-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Baiting deer is completely legal. Grow whatever you want.

MuleyMadness
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
It's legal and it's not baiting...clover regenerates nutrients into the soil and allows fields to improve yield through lying fallow! ;) Alfalfa, hay, clover, mulies will eat it just fine, don't you worry about that, particularly in areas where there is a lot of snow and the forage foods are under a lot of the white stuff, they will come to your crops as they are high nutrient without being any more work to get at. Also, unless I'm mistaken, there are plenty of whities east of PG as well are there not? They likes the clover. Most importantly though, is ensuring they aren't pressured too much there...if they're pressured it will be like any other farmer's field...in after dark, out before light.