PDA

View Full Version : How do I get into hunting?

Backcountry
02-26-2006, 01:54 AM
Me and a friend of mine have just recently started thinking about getting into hunting, but we have no idea where to start or what even to hunt for. We dont know any friends who can show us how it's done and dont want to pay up hundreds to go on a guided trip.
Can someone tell us where we can learn and where we can hunt and what equipment we'd need to buy?
We live in the Vancouver area.
Thanks

Gateholio
02-26-2006, 03:17 AM
I'd sugest finding your local Rod & Gn club and go tor the next meeting.

Stand up.(don't be shy) and tell the folks there what you want.

YOu want to go hunting, you dont wan t an y "secret spots" you just needa hand gettig n to it,

Chances are, they will hel o you out.

Where are youy located? Maybe ther is someon here anyway..:-D

02-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Welcome to the site, and welcome to the world of hunting. :-D

What Gatehouse said X 2. You will be required to obtain certain paper work from various govts, to prove proficiency and an understanding of the legalities of what is all involved hunting in British Columbia. Don't be shy about asking questions here, as there is a wealth of info with the membership on this site.
Dropping in at one of your local gun shops could also be a valuable learning trip, as some of them are also qualified to teach what is required to be able to legally hunt in BC.
Its all worth it in the end for the enjoyment that comes from experiencing the back country and the satisfaction of setting your table with your own food.

lapadat
02-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Backcountry.

What do you intend to hunt?

lap

Ozone
02-26-2006, 08:33 AM
First course to take would be a C.O.R.E. course. It will teach you the basics about hunting and get you your B.C. hunter # card which you need to buy a hunting licence. Then you need to take a firearms saftey course to get a PAL wich you need to buy or borrow a gun.

tmarschall
02-26-2006, 11:39 AM
By all means... pick up some good recipes for whatever you are going to hunt. Eating the kill is one of the best parts for sure, and probably healthier than any store bought stuff!!!

moose hunter
02-26-2006, 12:17 PM
well u need the necessary courses if your around vancouver it would be most likely to start with deer and maybe get a 30-30 or a 30-06 just something basic you could get started soon on both courses and be ready for next hunting season good luck and welcome

youngfellla
02-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Also - spend lots of time shooting at the range. Find a gun that is inexpensive to shoot and practice shooting in different positions, standing off-hand, sitting, prone etc. Make sure you can place your shots on paper before you go after any game.

MichelD
02-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Do you have your CORE and PAL?

Taking those courses will give you a start because the instructor and other students will help kick-start your education.

Then of course at the range in Poco you will meet other shooters, many of whom are hunters, who will be happy to talk hunting.

Keep asking here as you develop more questions. Sure people won't give you specifics, but they might say"Clearwater" or "Little Fort area " or any one of a million other areas, then you get a backroads map book, and find logging roads in those areas, explore a bit, find clearcuts, look for deer tracks and does and fawns, and start hunting.

You're in Vancouver? Go to the main public library or look up hunting in the library's web site and take out some books. There are some specific titles on hunting mule deer and lots on witetails. Much of the info is geared to the U.S., but animal habits and hunting techniques are pretty well applicable anywhere.

How's that for a start?

qwerty
02-26-2006, 01:31 PM
does the CORE and PAL program certificates ever expire?
after the CORE and PAL program do you have to be atleast 18 years old to buy a gun?

kishman
02-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi Backcountry, welcome to the site, taking the 2 courses (p.a.l. & core) becoming active on sites like this will get you well on your way. I'm new to the sport as well and I have found it's game like wild turkey and waterfowl that have really got me "pumped" about hunting. If you need to find a course instructor just go to your local shop (Reliable Gun&tackle, Italian Sporting Gds. to name a couple in Van.) and ask them for info on core/p.a.l courses.

MichelD
02-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Once you get your BC hunter licence number that is good for life I understand.

The Federal PAL expires and must be renewed.

Ricky
02-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Where do you live?

dirtyharry
02-26-2006, 02:55 PM
When I started into hunting 10 years ago I knew nothing and no one I knew hunted.
Join your local gun club, then take the CORE and FSET. The courses are usually taught by the gun clubs and are cheaper if you're a member.
Then ask lots of questions. Most people don't mind and youll find it harder to get most to shut up. Over time you will figure out what gear you want or need. This sport can be as cheap and simple or as expensive and high tech as you make it.
Anyways after a short while I met tons of great people and learned lots. Now, friends of mine are getting into the sport and asking me questions, and I am only too happy to help.
Remember everyone was a beginner at some point. Without new people like you, taking an interest in our sport we will dwindle in numbers and be easier to marginalize.

Good luck, have fun!

Rob