PDA

View Full Version : BC wolf cull?

Slee
02-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Any other info on the proposal of the wolf cull in southern BC??

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20100206/KAMLOOPS0101/302069981/-1/kamloops/provincial-government-looks-at-wolf-kill

BCLongshot
02-07-2010, 10:27 AM
If they'd take the drama out of it and just point some predator hunters in areas where we could quickly do the job it'd be over. Ranchers, farmers, Co's etc.

olharley guy
02-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Howdy,some of those added comments were sure made by people with no outdoor knowledge of game animals whatsoever. Farley Mowat readers for sure. Later

mark
02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Wow, there's talk of a heli-wolf kill, yet they wont even give us a wolf season in region 8??????

Summit 512
02-08-2010, 08:29 AM
I think the government should put a 500.00 dallor bounty on wolvies in bc.

amerikazmoswanted23
02-08-2010, 09:51 AM
no closed season across the the province

pete_k
02-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Wow, there's talk of a heli-wolf kill, yet they wont even give us a wolf season in region 8??????

Wolves are proposed for 8 in 2010/11.
I've never seen one yet after over 250 days in various parts of 8.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-08-2010, 10:36 AM

Head to the north Okanagan where they have become problematic for the ranchers.

SSS

horshur
02-08-2010, 04:59 PM

moore mountain and big white had depredation problems for ranchers this summer...one cow came back in rough shape ass ate pretty apparent it was wolves no calf either. a rancher from beaverdell way.

Monashee
02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
There is a breeding pack in 8-15 ,

mark
02-08-2010, 09:19 PM

I've been told, that its been proposed for the past couple years, just keeps getting shot down????
No closed season ever in BC would sure be a good start!

Ive never seen one either, but ive seen tracks that only fit the profile for wolves!

Johnnybear
02-08-2010, 09:28 PM
If they'd take the drama out of it and just point some predator hunters in areas where we could quickly do the job it'd be over. Ranchers, farmers, Co's etc.

Exactly. Always with the drama:-D. I sure wish they wouldn't "announce" these things! Alot more can get done without the consultation process:wink:.

silvicon
02-08-2010, 09:34 PM
the wolves (together with the indians) killed nearly all the moose
in region 5.
the wolves gotta go!
any way we can!

KB90
02-08-2010, 09:40 PM
in region 5.
the wolves gotta go!
any way we can!
5-2 & 5-15 NBL on wolves, get out there and shoot as many as your heart desires.

BlacktailStalker
02-08-2010, 09:45 PM
"BC Wolf cull"

Beautiful, those words are just, beautiful.

hunter1947
02-09-2010, 06:03 AM
I hate to say this but the wolves on Vancouver Island are multiplying by numbers as I speak http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif...

5 spike
02-09-2010, 07:24 AM
lots of wolf sign in the areas i hunt this year. more than i have ever seen

luckynuts
02-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I hate to say this but the wolves on Vancouver Island are multiplying by numbers as I speak http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif...

Could'nt be any worse than the late 80's :twisted: Sayward was infested with them.

W.

BlacktailStalker
02-09-2010, 10:45 AM
luckynuts; I'm willing to bet the numbers are at parr again or damn close. I was told of a pack of 14 this year, thats unheard of on the Island...

CanuckShooter
02-09-2010, 10:55 AM
in region 5.
the wolves gotta go!
any way we can!

Bullhooey. There are lots of moose in Region 5, I would wager there are even more moose than Indians. It's no wonder they put everything on LEH for us and only protect the allocations for the guides with this type of BS being spread around...killed all the moose, pathetic.

CanuckShooter
02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
lots of wolf sign in the areas i hunt this year. more than i have ever seen

x2...just wish I could see the wolves more often instead of just the tracks....:icon_frow

4 point
02-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Lots of wolves in 3-28 & 3-29. You see tracks, scat and kills all the time. They howl often as well. Only shot at 1 once and missed downhill at about 250 yards. Man he sure moved out so I must have been real close but unfortunately not close enough.

TPK
02-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Bullhooey. There are lots of moose in Region 5, I would wager there are even more moose than Indians. It's no wonder they put everything on LEH for us and only protect the allocations for the guides with this type of BS being spread around...killed all the moose, pathetic.

I have to agree with you ... lots of Moose. Also lots of unhappy Guide Outfitters at having their quota rolled back. Not sure how their appeal went ... and I believe they all appealed their Moose quota.

xtremearchery
02-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Just go in the late season between rock creek and midway and you'll find them. Bump into those pricks every year. This year saw 2 in two days and lots of tracks.

kebes
02-10-2010, 05:14 PM
"Do they by chance think that they are going to get approval from environmentalists?
Besides wolves kill the weaker animals, strengthening the future of the herd.
It's mans interference, that's the problem."

Farley Mowat indeed. What a bunch of garb.

gibblewabble
02-10-2010, 05:34 PM
"Do they by chance think that they are going to get approval from environmentalists?
Besides wolves kill the weaker animals, strengthening the future of the herd.
It's mans interference, that's the problem."

Farley Mowat indeed. What a bunch of garb.

Wolves also kill the fawns and will kill numerous animals leaving almost whole carcasses to move on and kill more, this behavior has been documented on numerous occasions. If we are to leave nature to self regulate all species then we need to remove ourselves from the equation(no mining, foresting, new sub-divisions and no hunting) and that isn't going to happen..........ever so we need to regulate population densities, its too bad we can't control our population. I agree your post is a bunch of garb, next you'll be saying that coyotes are a boon to all, when their numbers are higher than they have ever been.

chilcotin hillbilly
02-10-2010, 06:47 PM

You have no clue what your talking about. I will just leave it at that.

olharley guy
02-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Howdy, this wolf control situation comes up every few months.

I am not that computer savy but I would sure like someone to post the results from an Alaskan predator control program, showing how good the results are.

Maybe some of the lurkers that work for the gov't will get the idea how well this might work for B.C.

If someone could PM me with email address, I will send the information to post. Thanks Later

yukon john
02-10-2010, 10:19 PM
This is for olharley, good aritcles
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/wolves/story/410461.html (http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/wolves/story/410461.html)
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/wolves/story/934085.html (http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/wolves/story/934085.html)

olharley guy
02-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Howdy, thanks Yukon John for posting these links, I think they show what can be done successfuly with some predator control measures in B.C. Later

Look74
02-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Howdy, thanks Yukon John for posting these links, I think they show what can be done successfuly with some predator control measures in B.C. Later

We need to get this information to the Top of the ladder in Victouia, We can NOT get anything done if we just keep talking about the wolf population. We MUST get a meeting in Victoria with some of the wildlife managers and bring as much info from Alaska, Montans, Idho. Someone must stand up and start pointing fingers and make some demands. If the ranchers and guides along with the Wildlife federation would showed up in Victoria something would get done. All we need to do is control some of the wolves in a few small areas.

BlacktailStalker
02-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Good to see some management taking place.
I am curious though, if they remove "x" number of wolves from each pack they get a visual on or try to remove all members.
Its well known that taking an alpha wolf out of a pack creates chaos and results in a free for all of breeding and often several small packs forming, branching out and multiplying numbers faster than if the whole pack were left alone or all were taken out.

There is a good method to be done with baiting as well. Ideally baits should be well kept in winter and early spring when the wolves are most predatory. This helps with ungulate survival as well as offspring survival when they drop.
4 weeks before wolves are ready to have their litters, pull all the baits (obviously there is some sort of requirement of knowledge here)
Some packs become so reliable on these bait sets that they feed so regularly on, once regular food becomes an issue it results in inner pack predation (the number one killer of wolves as is known by wolf biologists) starts as the alpha female (when pregnant) will kill and eat lesser members (usually female, good, less breeders) to both provide for her brewing litter and to reduce the amount of food needed by the pack to survive when times are tough. Also when food is scarce or harder to get, they'll 'push' their territories in to neighboring packs resulting in fights, injuries/death.

Healthy wolves mean healthy litters (more pups) and less pack predation. Keeping the baits empty while pups are growing up surely results in a lower survival rate as well.
If you know where the wolves den and confirm the pups are on the ground, that is a good time to start baiting again and start trapping on those baits. Inner pack predation has likely already happened and each trapped wolf is a huge blow on the chances of survival for those pups.

I spoke with a very successful trapper/sheep outfitter in AB recently who was directly involved in a biologists several year study on a large number of collared wolves.
Of those wolves collars recovered, just one died of old age which they aged at 11 years old (found in its bed untouched) something like 15% died from apparent injury/trappers/hunters and around 30% were confirmed kills by inner pack predation or what appeared to be territorial fights.
Pretty interesting stuff.

This guy doesnt trap on his baits all the time, only when he feels he can 'do the most damage at once'
He hauls 20 tonnes of bait a month when the wolves are hitting them hard !

One 'myth' is that people seem to think only the alpha dogs breed, thats a load of b.s.
As put, " Think about it, does that female know not to come in to heat every 6 months because she isnt the alpha female lol ? No. If the alpha male who supposedly does the breeding doesnt breed her, do you think for a second the first unneuered (lol) male that gets a chance to slip in and do the deed isnt going to ? They are dogs, they eat, sleep and f&*K just like the ones in your back yard, theres no 'science' involved here !"
He's found denning sites with 15-20 pups clearly not all the same age !
To me, a lot of what I learned makes perfect sense
Its just too bad 99.5% of us dont have time (or the interest) to know that much about them and put any of this in to effect.

treeclimber
02-11-2010, 10:10 PM
A GOOD wolf is a DEAD wolf

olharley guy
02-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Howdy, just asking - but couldn't a little pressure be put on BCWF to bring things like this to Victoria and find out answers why it can't be done when it should be done without much questioning after seeing positive results in the Alaska article.

As member of BCWF I would like to see them put a little pressure on this matter but for sure it will have to wait for the Olympics to be over and done with re- no bad publicity for our foreign visitors/investors to read about. Later

BigfishCanada
02-12-2010, 01:15 PM
We have what i consider a problem with more than one pack near my Cabins, which I have seen alot of kill this year and track everywhere.

My question is how would you hunt these things? Can you call them out or is it just luck of the draw seeing one? Wolves are open until June 15, and it probably takes me a half day to find where they are hanging out but I have never seen one.

WOLF 3-12 to 3-20, 3-26 to 3-33 Sept 10 - June 15/2010 3

pete_k
02-12-2010, 02:09 PM
"Besides wolves kill the weaker animals, strengthening the future of the herd."

They don't kill the normal healthy ones? C'mon now.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-12-2010, 03:30 PM

That was a quote from the wolf-hugger types.

SSS

BlacktailStalker
02-12-2010, 04:03 PM
We have what i consider a problem with more than one pack near my Cabins, which I have seen alot of kill this year and track everywhere.

My question is how would you hunt these things? Can you call them out or is it just luck of the draw seeing one? Wolves are open until June 15, and it probably takes me a half day to find where they are hanging out but I have never seen one.

WOLF 3-12 to 3-20, 3-26 to 3-33 Sept 10 - June 15/2010 3

I've had no luck on calling them in but others have.

I havent tried enough to be discouraged about it though.
I've shot them off their own kills.
I would say the best strategy would be to sit on baits, especially a kill they made but havent finished.
However good luck finding one they dont finish in one sitting, the "super packs" that seem to be out there move across the country like a viral plague.

olharley guy
02-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I've had no luck on calling them in but others have.

I havent tried enough to be discouraged about it though.

I've shot them off their own kills.

I would say the best strategy would be to sit on baits, especially a kill they made but havent finished.
However good luck finding one they dont finish in one sitting, the "super packs" that seem to be out there move across the country like a viral plague.

Howdy, those ideas will all work but the best way I found was to use something called a "SUPERCUB" on skis- (LOL)-besides being super packs they get super smart with all modes of hunting them and sure like to spread out in a hurry when they hear you coming from a mile away in a Cub. Later.

BlacktailStalker
02-12-2010, 11:34 PM
lol hey I can only work with what I have access to but I'll gladly pay for fuel !

kwasky
02-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Tons of wolfs up here around Quesnel. I havent seen one yet but my buddy got one just north of town this fall and there are tracks everywhere you go.

hunter1947
02-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Could'nt be any worse than the late 80's :twisted: Sayward was infested with them.

W.
True but now that there has been a recovery of black tail deer in the last 10 years on the Island the wolf population will grow once more and from what feed back I have heard from Guides as from biologist the wolves are coming back in big numbers.

If we the trappers don't do something about it now we will be looking at a big reduction of BTD on the island in the next few years.

The deer population we hold in numbers now will eventually be back in numbers from what we had in the early nineties..

hunter1947
02-13-2010, 08:02 AM
We need to get this information to the Top of the ladder in Victouia, We can NOT get anything done if we just keep talking about the wolf population. We MUST get a meeting in Victoria with some of the wildlife managers and bring as much info from Alaska, Montans, Idho. Someone must stand up and start pointing fingers and make some demands. If the ranchers and guides along with the Wildlife federation would showed up in Victoria something would get done. All we need to do is control some of the wolves in a few small areas.

Very true and thats what we want to do as trappers http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

hunter1947
02-13-2010, 08:05 AM

Wolves will kill the strong as well I have heard stories from my trapper friend about moose that where the snow it was up to there shoulders and the wolves move in for the easy pickings how can a healty moose or other out run a pack of wolves in 4 feet of snow ??? ..

bridger
02-13-2010, 10:10 AM
most wildlife managers in the moe know we need a wolf cull. the decision is a political one not a mangement one. the way to get a wolf cull province wide is put political pressure on government.

pete_k
02-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Wolves will kill the strong as well I have heard stories from my trapper friend about moose that where the snow it was up to there shoulders and the wolves move in for the easy pickings how can a healty moose or other out run a pack of wolves in 4 feet of snow ??? ..

Thats what I figured.
My reply to the previous fellow as supposed to be sarcastic, but I guess that does not come accross as well in typing as it does with a real voice.:-D

Noname
02-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Hows this for a pack?

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs157.snc3/18439_299258249708_108245284708_3323847_6285478_n. jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2628889&id=108245284708)

BlacktailStalker
02-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Noname; any story with that pic, you take it ? Wow.

pete_k
02-13-2010, 05:24 PM
whoa....Nearly 2 dozen.
When? Where? Story to this?
Like to hear it.

olharley guy
02-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Howdy, that is a very large pack of wolves. I have only seen 2 packs with over 20 wolves- both on the Liard river.

Most packs were between 6 and 10 animals-but they were all 20 or so miles apart.

If the Alaskan studies are fairly accurate this works out to about-

240 moose
480 caribou
700 deer because they are smaller than the other 2 species in a year.

That is quite a few animals killed by them and as I and others have said they are not all sick or weak!

Good picture-can I ask where it was taken? Later

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2010, 07:18 PM
That's one massive pack of wolves!!

There were 14 spotted together right behind Peachland a few yrs ago and my buddy was guiding in the Chuckachida area and saw 23 bedded on an alpine hillside. At first he thought there were ewes and lambs.

SSS

hunter1947
02-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Hows this for a pack?

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs157.snc3/18439_299258249708_108245284708_3323847_6285478_n. jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2628889&id=108245284708)

This pack of wolves will really do some damage on the prey http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif very http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif picture..

bridger
02-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Idaho has experienced a real drop in the elk population and conducted a study on the effects of wolf predation on elk. they found that one wolf eats 16 elk a year. Pretty serious results.

hunter1947
02-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Idaho has experienced a real drop in the elk population and conducted a study on the effects of wolf predation on elk. they found that one wolf eats 16 elk a year. Pretty serious results.

I agree 100% on your post and thats what is happening on Vancouver Island right now ..

Noname
02-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Bridger you're completely right. This pic was take a couple of weeks ago outside of Jackson Hole Wyoming. There where over twenty in this pack. This is what happens when you protect these *******s and let them run unchecked. In idaho they have gotten so bad that in the last 5 years they have seen a 20-30% drop in Elk numbers alone. I some units you would see a dozen shooter bulls in a weekend now you are lucky to see one in a season. Now in Idaho you have a group of VERY LAW ABIDING HUNTERS that fully believe in SSS. the Governer of that state wants to reduce their numbers from 18 packs to 7 but the enviro who reintroduced and the US gov have not allowed ANY reduction in numbers until this last year. They are just now getting to allow hunting by draw permit only. The packs have spred into neighboring states and they are scrambling to come up with a solution. Idaho is now loseing millions in revenue and now beinng faced with law suits from cattle ranchers in the surrounding states.

Ltbullken
02-14-2010, 12:04 PM
During the long winter months when most of the major big game hunting is done and hunters are wondering how to keep that edge sharp, there is always 'yote and wolf hunting. C'mon BC hunters, let's do our part to help promote healthy ungulate herds in our province!! Get out there and collect a few dog hides! :-D