PDA

View Full Version : Pre-ranging

mikeinajeep
02-05-2010, 05:42 PM
I glass using my range finder on scan and make a list of known ranges. 24 yards to the stump and 46 to the stick that looks like a snake. then I put away the finder and walk untill I run out of known ranges. How do you guys do it? Between 10 and 25 yards the crossbow shoots so close to flat that I think I am safe shooting anything that close but farther than that I feel I need the range finder. I know some of you guys eye ball it, but I don't find my shooting that good when I do that.

peterrum3
02-05-2010, 07:35 PM
I use a compound and range whenever I stop to take a break or sit tight for a bit. I will take a look left, forward, and right, and estimate where 20-30 yards is all around me, then I use my rangefinder to confirm if i am right or wrong.

mikeinajeep
02-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Good idea! I will try it.

Bow Walker
02-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Guess-timate first and then confirm with the range finder. It will build your skills.

MikeH
02-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Guess-timate first and then confirm with the range finder. It will build your skills.
agreed, guess timate I like to go out and stump shoot and practice without a rangefinder that builds the skill ,sometimes you don't have time to range.:wink:

Kirby
02-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Guess first, then range. If I am on a stand I range everything a couple of times over the first 30 minutes, just to get it all fixed in my head.

Kirby

oldtimer
02-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Always guess first. I even do it just walking down a trail, I will pick out a object , guess, then confirm. When sitting I always range a maximum shot object like a tree or a stump then work my way in from that. Mike

Big Lew
02-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Always guess first. I even do it just walking down a trail, I will pick out a object , guess, then confirm. When sitting I always range a maximum shot object like a tree or a stump then work my way in from that. Mike
x2! Gives you more confidence when you haven't time to range on that quick shot.

02-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Attend as many 3D shoots as you can. A great way to hone yardage estimation skills.

I do find, however, that a deer I see bowhunting always appears farther away than it really is (thus I have shot over the backs of 2 whitetails in the last couple years). Interesting phenomenon.