PDA

View Full Version : First hunting trip...

Albafly
02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Me and my buddy want to go on a hunting trip this year- a trip of up to a week long, our first trip dedicated only to hunting. I am unsure where we should go...

I'd like to go deer hunting- mule or whitetail, and would consider elk or moose, LEH dependant i guess.

I was considering the Kootenays, but i don't know this area well at all. There is a current controversial thread elsewhere on this forum talking about possible GOS for elk in that area. From reading the posts, it seems that there is very little land in that area that is not private and that it might be hard to go and hunt open land there? Especially if you don't know the area. As a result, I am a bit put off that area.

If you lived in the lower mainland, were a newbie hunter with a week to kill, where would you plan to go and why?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

bighornbob
02-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Me and my buddy want to go on a hunting trip this year- a trip of up to a week long, our first trip dedicated only to hunting. I am unsure where we should go...

I'd like to go deer hunting- mule or whitetail, and would consider elk or moose, LEH dependant i guess.

I was considering the Kootenays, but i don't know this area well at all. There is a current controversial thread elsewhere on this forum talking about possible GOS for elk in that area. From reading the posts, it seems that there is very little land in that area that is not private and that it might be hard to go and hunt open land there? Especially if you don't know the area. As a result, I am a bit put off that area.

If you lived in the lower mainland, were a newbie hunter with a week to kill, where would you plan to go and why?

The area you are talking about is the west Kootenays. Go to the east kootenays. They just anounced a anterless elk season and there will probably be an whitetail doe season too. Not sure when the dates will be.

Lots of elk, lots of whiteitails, bear, sheep etc. Lots of crown land to hunt.

BHB

02-05-2010, 11:19 AM
First if you want to go to the kootenays go. There is a tonne of area over there that is crown. I wont get into that thread but dont worry about it.
second it is hard to tell you where to go because it really depends on too many factors.
I have hunted quite a bit of bc and love each spot for its own thing. I have gone to places i had no previous experiance in a number of times and here is how i do it.
I think of what i want to chase. Then where i would like to chase it
step 1 is vauge but it is personal preferance.
then i go to google and map or earth it looking for cut blocks or mountains or swamps basically whatever terrain the animal you chose likes. start this now.
The quesion you asked is the hardest to awnser. just do your reaserch and go have fun. Learn from it and dont bit off more than you can chew.
if you have never hunted mabe high mountain elk or back country moose is out.
but lotsa deer in reg5 lotsa deer in reg 8 and 4 but go to the koots its where you initally wanted and you will always wonder if you dont

CanuckShooter
02-05-2010, 11:33 AM

My first bit of advice if your a newbie is to pick your spot and see if you can get an experienced local to help you out.....it could save you a lot of grief.

brian
02-05-2010, 02:48 PM
If you can't go with someone who is a more experienced local then I'd go someplace closer to the LML like Princeton. I would definitely go someplace where you and your buddy could do some preseason day trips to scout out where you want to hunt before committing to the area during your hunting trip. Going into places not having a clue of the lay of the land is a tough way to do it especially for us newbs. The more you know an area, the better.

moosinaround
02-05-2010, 03:00 PM
What area interests you? Do you want an easy road hunt, or a tough alpine hunt? Is it deer , moose, bear, elk you are after? What do you have for equipment ATV, wall tent camper?? Are you an experienced wilderness outdoors person? Now if I was to hunt elk, I would hit an antlerless season with lots of crown land to hunt, same with moose, a calf season where you can take a spike fork also. An any buck season would be a gooder to hit, chase a blackie while yer at it too!! Any questions that arise while planning google it or ask intelligent questions here!! I'll be glad to steer yah into a spot if you venture 8 hrs north of Vancouver!! Moosin

Albafly
02-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks a lot- i'm starting my research. I think i'm going to spend a few long weekends up in the Pemberton area which i can scout out before the season and a longer trip to the E Kootenys as well.

Moosinaround, In terms of the type of hunting i want to do, not too fussed to road hunt, and we have no atv's, but i'm not afraid of a long hike. I spend a lot of time alone in the bush (won't be hunting alone) for work, so I have a pretty good idea what i'm doing out there.

I guess i'm not fussed whether its elk, moose or deer i'm hunting, which may be a problem as I shoud focus on one species and associated habitat preferences?

Other question i had- does anyone know a good resource for finding out beforehand what land is private nad what is public?

Thanks