PDA

View Full Version : Halfway River

Mooseter
02-04-2010, 05:43 PM
I have an old friend who has hunted moose with me for years by jet boat and wants me to take him into the 3 pt / cow elk area around FSJohn.

Probably his last year as he has bad diabetes and legs hardly work.

Can anyone tell me if it is feasible to hunt the Halfway by boat. I have 30+ years of jet boat experience on many small rivers around BC.

If not, any ideas how i can put him in front of an Elk. He has never got an elk and does not care about any thing but the meat.

Jetboater
02-04-2010, 05:50 PM
I have always seen a a few boats at the launch there.....dont know if they are going down into the peace or up the halfway....

Riverratz
02-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Haven't done Halfway so can't help. Bridger or Rock Doctor are good sources of info. and may be able to provide you with some advice.

bridger
02-04-2010, 06:49 PM
the half way is a good bet but so is the peace. if you have a good boat and used to running shallow water the halfway will get you into elk. the peace is much larger and easier to run and has good elk as well.

Mtn Wonderer
02-04-2010, 10:26 PM
The halfway from the bridge up 4-5k is a little skinny and braided to a few channels. I went up this summer in August working, it was a little bit of a bump and grind. However that said it was looking better around the five mark. All I remember is when leaving the bridge stay close to the right bank when the river braids you want the left one from then on it wasn't too bad.

MTW

Mooseter
02-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Hey Thanks to you all for the info. I think I will take him up there and give it a try this fall. After all its mostly about the experience. meat is a bonus.

I am new to this site and am really impressed with the commadry.