PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Depredation Permits?

IronNoggin
02-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Have a Buddy who posed a question I was unable to answer today. I DO know the answer for Alberta and Saskatchewan - in both those Provinces applications can be made for what is referred to as "Depredation Permits". These allow the limited removal (by direct landowner request/permitting) of various species when specific animals are targeting crops and/or livestock. I am uncertain of the rules as they may apply in this regard in BC.

The instance in question is a nursery that is positioned on the edge of an area that can be hunted. The nursery has taken significant steps to reduce the ongoing destruction of their crops, but even though being quite diligent, this has had little effect. They have approximately 26 "problem" deer that raid their operations daily (yes, bold enough to do this well into daylight hours). Their dogs are run ragged trying to keep them away, and recently one of them was clobbered up pretty good by a belligerent buck.

So, the question poised to me was can the nursery owner apply for a limited number of "cull" or "depredation" tags to deal with the problem directly? Or is this a case where Ralph Kline's motto (SSS) would apply?

The fellow involved is VERY straight-laced, and of course wants to stay within the confines of the Law. In other Provinces I would know the route he should go. Here in BC I am at a loss as to how to advise him...

Any and all informed answers would be sincerely appreciated!

TIA!
Nog

peterrum3
02-01-2010, 07:15 PM
A friend of mine has an orchard and he was having problems with the bucks hammering his apple trees especially when the ones he had just grafted. He called the local MOE office and they would not allow him to cull any of the deer and told him to fence. Thats what he ended up doing and now has little trouble. I am not sure of there is anything like a Depredation permit.

elkdom
02-01-2010, 07:22 PM
, no permits to shoot thieving deer:twisted:,

build fencing, check with Reg District and the MOE, there may be some Gov $$$ grants available ,,

brad ferris
02-01-2010, 08:02 PM
tell him to hang in there until the hunting season opens.i'm not a fan of high fence as a solution in general.also the dog issue is not such a good idea its a good way to lose a dog.also the c.o. s might hammer him for harassing wildlife.

hillclimber
02-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Where in BC is he? I'd be glad to go and take a deer out of the way during hunting season.

mark
02-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Where in BC is he? I'd be glad to go and take a deer out of the way during hunting season.

This is exactly what should happen! Any landowners having problems with crop raiders should invite hunters to deal with the issue! Its a win-win deal!

Swamp mule
02-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Not sure if there are anypermits but I do know that when we had bears in the corn field it was triple s time. (Shoot, shovel and shut up). I do know that the neighbour had called the CO to ask permission for me to come and shoot the bears for him> from what I heard that it was ok but only to bury them in the end. I never did get around to shooting them.

crazy ducker
02-02-2010, 06:50 AM
we can and do get permits for ducks and geese. I would think if it is fenced and they are still there then they have no choice but to issue a permit

yamadirt 426
02-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Get some tougher dogs ! That will keep everything away.

J_T
02-02-2010, 09:50 AM
This is exactly what should happen! Any landowners having problems with crop raiders should invite hunters to deal with the issue! Its a win-win deal! Isn't the Province moving forward with a coordinator for private land hunting? Targeting animals on farm/ranch land, seems having the Provincial private land hunting coordinator queuing up on these would be a solution to any socially unacceptable wildlife. Might have hunters perceived as the solution instead of the problem.

jml11
02-02-2010, 10:18 AM
The ministry does issue Sundry Wildlife permits for nuisance wildife but I don't know if you can get one for deer. Likely you would be advised to try alternative measures first.

Here is and excerpt from the page:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/wildlife.html#a8

Steps to Manage Nuisance Wildlife

(Permit type 2(b)(i) crop protection or 2(b)(ii) controlling wildlife populations – Applicable fee $55)
Authorizing a resident to hunt, trap or kill wildlife on his or her own property during the open or closed season, for the purposes of
Ensure that the following information is on the General Permit Application (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/docs/general_permit.pdf) [PDF 41KB]:

Street address and/or legal description of property where activity will take place
Number of individual animals to be hunted, trapped or killed
Hunting and/or trapping methods to be used
Preventative measures currently in place to deter wildlife
Compelling reasons as to why this permit is required<LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: -20px; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: none">Documentation to be attached to application:
Reporting requirements (if applicable)On property other than your own, for management of problem wildlife
(Permit type 2(c)(iii) – Applicable fee $110)

List of nuisance wildlife to be hunted, trapped or killed
Location (specific) in which activity will occur
Professional qualifications of all staff/employees/contractors involved
Hunting / trapping methods proposed
Disposition of wildlife trapped/killed<LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: -20px; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: none">Documentation to be attached to application:
Reporting requirements (if applicable)Visa/Mastercard Payment Authorization Form (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/docs/visa_mastercard.pdf) [PDF 133KB]
Questions regarding permit requirements that are not addressed within these pages or for contact information visit: Permit and Authorization Service Bureau (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/contact/index.html).

Bow Walker
02-02-2010, 10:28 AM
IIRC - a landowner can apply for a permit to the local authorities (municipal, district, city, etc) to "protect his/her crops" from wildlife depredation.

The way it works is, it is only do-able during legal hunting season(s), the hunters can only harvest within the legal bag limits, and the hunters are allowed to keep the harvests or share with the landowner.