PDA

View Full Version : Pink Mountain Area - Help?

BeerBaitnAmmo
01-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey guys, my Father and I are planning a trip to the pink mountain area this fall. We have never hunted that far north, and are unsure where to start or when to go. Looking at the synopsis, it appears that the last week of august would be good as it is open to any bull (moose) and 6 point or better elk. Is that a good time to go? or is the rut not quite happening yet? Also is there an area that we should look at or a rivier that we can cruise? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be bringing a good size river boat (outboard), but no quads. Thanks guys...
BBA

KB90
01-31-2010, 10:50 PM
This is all I can contribute:

I would say that the rut would not be happening yet in August.

Also a heads up The daylight hours are quite long at that time of year ie: 10pm= daylight. It can make hunting a bit trickier.

O and it can be very warm 20c+ as it is summer, so be prepared to have a way to deal with your meat so it does not spoil.

Beaverhunter
01-31-2010, 11:08 PM
I have been going in August for 10 year now and have had good success.
Kyle is right though i have seen temps above 20C which make a miday hunt pointless. Expect to get up at 4:30am and get back to camp at 10:00pm which makes for long days. Also when shooting a moose at 9:30pm be prepared to be out till 2:00am or later. If you want more info PM me.

elkdom
02-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Hey guys, my Father and I are planning a trip to the pink mountain area this fall. We have never hunted that far north, and are unsure where to start or when to go. Looking at the synopsis, it appears that the last week of august would be good as it is open to any bull (moose) and 6 point or better elk. Is that a good time to go? or is the rut not quite happening yet? Also is there an area that we should look at or a rivier that we can cruise? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be bringing a good size river boat (outboard), but no quads. Thanks guys...
BBA

EXPECT the UNEXPECTED! Aug 15 and on, you can have 30+ Celsius, as has happened several times the last few years, you can also wake up to a foot of heavy new snow over night, even tho it was 30+ Celsius the day before, if it is a rainy/wet fall , you will fight MUD like you have never experienced before, if you dont like bugs?? be warned! take gallons of Deep Woods repellent, you like Bears?? more of the same, be prepared, lots of Grizz and even more Blackies!, keep a clean camp, be BEAR AWARE, and use extra caution after you kill a moose or an elk, gun shots and blood scent, like ringing a dinner bell for the local GRIZZ populations, as for boating the rivers, most rivers in the PINK area are fast and shallow and dangerous, a jet is better, but still dangerous and some local river knowledge is paramount! you have lots of time to gather info, do your home work, and if possible have at least one good 4x4 quad in your camp,,,

hunter1947
02-01-2010, 05:08 AM
I have never been up to F Nelson hunting but If I was headed up that way with a river boat I would launch my river boat just outside Fort Nelson and head up the Muskwa river drainage.

I believe from what I have heard that there is a lunching place along the river just a few miles north of FT Nelson.

The important question is do you have a river boat that can handle these rivers ???? if so then you would be good to go..

Regarding elk it really don't matter that much if the elk are into the rut or not ,the last week of Aug they will be around and if you work hard enough you will see lots of them.

If you do go do lots of research in this area this will go a long ways and take lots of extra fuel to drop off at locations along the river..

I would say that the rut will be started for sure in the last week of Aug if it where me going that is the time when I would hunt this area ,the last two weeks of Aug ,good luck with your trip http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif...

tackdriver
02-01-2010, 10:03 AM
I have been going in August for 10 year now and have had good success.
Kyle is right though i have seen temps above 20C which make a miday hunt pointless. Expect to get up at 4:30am and get back to camp at 10:00pm which makes for long days. Also when shooting a moose at 9:30pm be prepared to be out till 2:00am or later. If you want more info PM me.

x2 but weve been going for a little over 20 years. can be hot, can be cold, and if it rains my god there WILL be LOTS of MUD, we have always brought at least one home. :wink:

pete_k
02-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Bring a small freezer and genny if you have the room.

deerstocker
02-01-2010, 10:20 AM
was there 2 years ago no rut on then bulls r still in velvet and very warm very hard to hunt at that time of year and most moose r not in the open unless u have horse shoes and the horse up your ass happy hunting

elkdom
02-01-2010, 11:56 AM
I have never been up to F Nelson hunting but If I was headed up that way with a river boat I would launch my river boat just outside Fort Nelson and head up the Muskwa river drainage.

I believe from what I have heard that there is a lunching place along the river just a few miles north of FT Nelson.

The important question is do you have a river boat that can handle these rivers ???? if so then you would be good to go..

Regarding elk it really don't matter that much if the elk are into the rut or not ,the last week of Aug they will be around and if you work hard enough you will see lots of them.

If you do go do lots of research in this area this will go a long ways and take lots of extra fuel to drop off at locations along the river..

I would say that the rut will be started for sure in the last week of Aug if it where me going that is the time when I would hunt this area ,the last two weeks of Aug ,good luck with your trip http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif...

there is a good and VERY popular boat launching area right at the bridge on the Alaska Hwy just a couple of klms before you get to downtown Ft Nelson, and that parking area along the river will have hoards of trucks with boat trailers parked there, the rivers,Prophet, Muskwa and Tuchodi etc are like the freeway at rush hour with jet-boat traffic, the epitome of GONG show!, camping along the rivers is far from serene! for a elk/moose hunt for first timers, hunting the valleys and muskegs and doing so by camping off oil and gas roads( 1000's of O+G roads, 100,000's of klms to explore), working the cut lines is most likely to pay off in a moose or an elk, not to mention the logistics of being on the "river" early August at temps from +20 as high as +32 Celcius, if you have a downed big game animal, you want in the cooler ASAP, tough to do with a small boat and an outboard power,

myself 30 plus years hunting those areas in 7B, my best advice would be to hunt by camping off O+G roads using cut lines, the proven easiest access method by moose /elk hunters since the building of the Alaska Hwy,,,

Bear Chaser
02-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Good advise by Elkdom & probably the best way to get to know the area firsthand. Mile 156 & 171 will provide opportunities but lots of hunters that time of year.

gamehunter6o
02-01-2010, 05:08 PM
If it rains, the oil and gas roads around Pink Mountain will surely test your driving skills. Oiled glass is the best description.:shock:

BeerBaitnAmmo
02-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I agree maybe the best thing for the first year up there is to start on the O&G roads, and tempt the river later. My major concern now is a cooler, genny i got. How about meat cooler or cutter in the area? This is the best time to plan for the season, so I will be doing my research on the area. I appreciate all the help. I really don't expect anyone to give up their honey holes, but its hard for a guy to drive up there and find a spot to start. Thats why this website is great. Also, if anyone wants to trade cabin/special hunting area around pink mountain, we have a nice cabin on rail lake near lac la hache that produces nice mulies and blackies and we could work something out. Thanks again...
BBA

elkdom
02-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I agree maybe the best thing for the first year up there is to start on the O&G roads, and tempt the river later. My major concern now is a cooler, genny i got. How about meat cooler or cutter in the area? This is the best time to plan for the season, so I will be doing my research on the area. I appreciate all the help. I really don't expect anyone to give up their honey holes, but its hard for a guy to drive up there and find a spot to start. Thats why this website is great. Also, if anyone wants to trade cabin/special hunting area around pink mountain, we have a nice cabin on rail lake near lac la hache that produces nice mulies and blackies and we could work something out. Thanks again...
BBA

the Pink Mountain Gen store-Gas Bar, liquor store,gas,diesel and propane and Cabins has a meat locker/cooler, some years it is full the second day of moose season, then you drive to FtSt John(1 hour) or maybe even Dawson creek, and if you use a public meat cooler, take along some heavy zip ties and make up your own tags to identify your own meat( you want your own meat when you leave),

Statler
02-01-2010, 08:17 PM
There is a cooler at Pink Mtn. and another further along at Sikanni Chief at the gereral store camp ground on the left at the bottom of the hill. Was about $20 per day 2 yrs ago.