PDA

View Full Version : Finally took the leap!

Alex
01-31-2010, 09:48 PM
I just came back from Boorman Archery in New Westminster. I ordered a PSE stinger package, it should be in on Wednesday. My long term plan is to get the feel for the bow, if I get into it, I'll buy a recurve in a year or two and take advantage of a permission I have on Bowen Island (recurve only island). More short term, I think I'll try for a bear on Van island this spring.

BTW. Anyone has experience with this bow? Seems like a good starter bow to me.

Looking forward to seeing you guys at the range and in the field!

Alex

Kirby
01-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Welcome to the addiction.

The stinger is a nice set up, never owned it, but have shot several, good purchase. Also don't be afraid to change up the rests/sights and see if you can tweak it more to your liking, its like reloading but for archery.

Kirby

hardnocks
01-31-2010, 10:55 PM
a stinger is a real good bow.the package has a good rest pretty good sight. will kill anything in the prov.

The Hermit
01-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Hopefully the shop will set up your bow and tune it to you as part of the deal! Island Outfitters did that for me when I purchased a compound rig. It was a HUGE bonus... I left the store hitting the bull at fifteen yards every shot!

Alex
02-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Hopefully the shop will set up your bow and tune it to you as part of the deal! Island Outfitters did that for me when I purchased a compound rig. It was a HUGE bonus... I left the store hitting the bull at fifteen yards every shot!

Yes, I went a few times before I purchased it and talked to Ron the owner. They are going to do the setup and on top of that take me to the lanes downstairs and show me the basics. I checked with Cabela's and they sell the package for considerably less even with shipping but I figure that I'm getting great customer service and I'm helping out the little guy.

Oh, I'm also getting six carbon arrows instead of the four that come with the package AND they will buy the bow back minus fifteen percent within the first year when I decide to upgrade. Not bad...

Alex

02-01-2010, 08:52 AM
I have a Stinger, which is now my "back-up" bow. It's a great bow, and very accurate. Good purchase for sure.

Bow Walker
02-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Alex - welcome to the "Up-close-and-personal" side of hunting. Good for you.

Service like that (from Boorman's) is a huge reason to buy local. Not even WSS in Nanaimo would give you service like that. Plus, buying the bow back within a year is over the top!

Red arch
02-03-2010, 10:52 PM
I personally shoot a Stinger. It is fairly accurate and great for a beggining archer or one with little disposable income.(only reason i shoot the Stinger as I have been in archery since the age of 4) However I would use it for a hunting bow if i get a upgrade. This year at the B.C's Largest indoor I shot a 148 sunday morning, first round of the day. that being said I did it with a 30$ WB and a Fletcher .44 caliper with no D-loop, so yah they're an excellent bow for the money.

Stevem63
02-10-2010, 08:38 AM
I have shot my Stinger since I bought it new in Jan '08 and have not regretted it for one second. I think that you should be very happy with it.

Alex
02-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Well, I just got my bow. I'm very satisfied, I went out twice already to the range (Bby lake) and I just can't believe I waited this long before getting into it. Ron at Boorman sold me a membership to the range, so if you're a member you'll probably see me there often. Here's one of my first groups @ 20 yards. I have since adjusted the sight.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4364058690_c78c3241fe.jpg

Alex

The Hermit
02-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Well, I just got my bow. I'm very satisfied, I went out twice already to the range (Bby lake) and I just can't believe I waited this long before getting into it. Ron at Boorman sold me a membership to the range, so if you're a member you'll probably see me there often. Here's one of my first groups @ 20 yards. I have since adjusted the sight.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4364058690_c78c3241fe.jpg

Alex

Important hint... animals do not have targets on them so don't practice shooting at rings. Pick a tiny spot on the bare target, stump, whatever and have at it!

Alex
02-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Great tip; thanks Hermit!