Something to pass the time. One month

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/Jan%2031st%20Brant%20(4).jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/Jan%2031st%20Brant%20(6).jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/Jan%2031st%20Brant%20(5).jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/Jan%2031st%20Brant%20(2).jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/Jan%2031st%20Brant.jpg

01-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey you Brant guys....
Why is it brant are only open in one area? What makes them special?
Why is that area special?

ps i will never hunt them i am just curious on the species and why they are so limited

Gunner
01-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Brant ARE special,but not as special as BRANT HUNTERS!!!! Gunner

fowl language
01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
gunner, i believe there to be some truth in that considering the cast of characters. i guess c farmer must have a lot of respect for kelly, not wanting to identify him and all ...good pics.farmer.....d

Crazy_Farmer
01-31-2010, 06:18 PM
gunner, i believe there to be some truth in that considering the cast of characters. i guess c farmer must have a lot of respect for kelly, not wanting to identify him and all ....fowl

ohh just figured he ends his posts always with it, so why not. :confused:

f350ps
01-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Nice pics CF, when were they taken? K ( as in Kelly, the secrets out.) :wink:

f350ps
01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Ya, Special alright??? K

Crazy_Farmer
01-31-2010, 06:53 PM
This morning. Made the drive out,when I left here it was rainy and foggy, but it opened up for just a bit as the tide was dropping when I got there.

f350ps
01-31-2010, 10:16 PM
I see that on the FUGE you were saying that you got a new lens. How far away from those birds were ya? K

Crazy_Farmer
01-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Atleast 100-120 yards were the closest. They normally come more in but the tide was a bit too low so they were out further. Also the images are cropped down for a closer look, sortof a compromise between sharpness and it'll get too soft when too cropped.

Ian F.
02-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Now that gets the blood pumping! Reminds me of some of Hagerbaumers work..

Any more one the water shots? Always looking for decoy poses...

BiG Boar
02-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Why do you hunt these? Do they taste good? Are they rare? Do you mount them? What is awsome about these?

02-01-2010, 09:39 AM
seems its a secret

Ian F.
02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I can only answer for myself as to why I hunt them...

Living most of my life where Brant were rare, non-existant, or extripated they have a shine to them that most other waterfowl do not. You cannot go down to any old shore or park and find Brant, no you must know what to look for, where and when and you still may not find them. To me they are an elegant bird that at first glance seems a simple black and white, and then on closer inspection there is much much more then that. Add to this the writings about them, my friendships with old time brant hunters in the US and there uniqueness grows. Having chased almost every species of waterfowl in Canada, I like things that are different and I like the challenge of new things in new places. I love a good mallard shoot, but a hunt that you must plan and prepare for, sometimes months in advance, to specifically target a species is something I enjoy.

Next you must want this bird, you can not hunt them (effectively) without a rig of Brant dekes, and you can not easily purchase Brant blocks so it adds to the challenge. Being a carver, having a need for a rig is a wonderful thing! Someday it will all be hollowed cedar and oils, hopefully numbering 48. Having the chance to add to the rig each year adds an element for me. Having held Brant decoys by Bicknell, Olivier, MacDonald and others of BC’s past… Having hunted over Hagerbaumer, Pinches and Newell birds in the States, I feel part of a continuum that may have it’s end in sight.

Brant are an open water bird, something that I spent most of my life chasing before moving here so they take the place of Eiders of divers. You must be willing to put your boat a float and spend the time away shore in pursuit of Brant, and you must be willing to sit at the launch as “the red gods” tell you, you wont hunt this day if you wish to remain among the living. Mathewson wrote of hunting sea ducks as being a true wilderness experience. That is, if things go wrong the only person you have to help you, is yourself! Brant offer this surrealistic experience; albeit with other gunners around should things go bad.

Then there are the people who are Brant hunters, they are different, different because they too have sat in a boat for an entire day and not fired a shot. They too have been chased by the tide and even lost the battle a time or two. They too have been stuck at the launch and know what is like to be given a hand, and they too know what it’s like to be asked and share their story from the day. Put in the time, have a rig, chase the birds even though success can be rare, days long and only 10 days a year, with 2 birds per day. Most wouldn’t bother putting the effort forth, Branters do!

Then there is the tradition, rigs are passed down through families, boats are known like heritage homes. I’m an upstart on our waters; most have cut their teeth chasing this little sea goose and can remember their first as if it was yesterday. Lets face it, there are not many things left that we do that are connected to how they where done decades ago, chasing Brant still has that, at least for me.

Brant are special in and of themselves, they are special because they are hard to attain, and they are special because you have only 10 days to chase them in a year, they are special to me, and maybe now you know why, maybe not, either is fine.

Very best,

Ian

02-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the reply Ian.
It just seem's they are quite an exclusive bird.because there are
not many hunting them and only one area to do it in.
You see canadas every where and can hunt them every where, but i dont think i've ever seen a Brant and i've spent all my life here on the island. As a duck hunter myself the species seems interesting and i was more getting at why are they special to that one M.U and not any where else. Again im just wondering about the bird not how where when to hunt them

crazy ducker
02-01-2010, 02:07 PM
835 Go To Parksville Or Quilicom There Are Lots There ( Brant Festival)

02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
huh?
there so cool they have a festival?
in all seriousness though why arent we abel to hunt them here then?

Ian F.
02-01-2010, 02:50 PM
It is my understanding, that as the pacific brant population changed, reduced numbers and altered migration patterns the season has been reduced to what it is now (10 days). Only 5-7 days in Wash depending on an aerial count that has a minimum of 5000 birds.

Coupled with this has been a reduction in locations where once can persue the birds, all in an effort to protect the population. Historically, from what I have read, Van Isle was "the place" to hunt brant. Changes in the food source (brant are very picky eaters) through pollution, and alterations affects. Combined with an increase in shoreline development are the chief factors.

There was and is a lot of work and study on black brant to help with the population recovery.

Very best,

Ian

02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
So i guess they are not adaptive, like all the other ducks.
I guess their migration route is quite specific, I have never seen or herd of them on the WCVI

f350ps
02-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Washington needed 6000 birds in order to get a season, they had 6002, hmm, interesting ain't it? Kinda makes ya wonder who does the counting or maybe they just stop counting when they hit the magic number. K

FLHTCUI
02-01-2010, 07:49 PM
http://brantwildlifefestival.blogspot.com/
Here is some info for the 2010Festival.
Most that go are Bird Watchers and Tree Hugger types and us Hunters as well, so if you go in camo be prepared for the standoffish types and the occasional confrontational type.
Been there seen all three, You need to watch the tides and of course be in the right place at the right time.
If you know what Brant sound like, imagine 30,000 of them on the beach !!!
Really a sight to behold !
Thanks Ian for your perspective on Brant Hunting and Brant, also the biology lessen was pretty spot on coming from a Hunter who does just more than kill I wished I could have said that to the few who chose to harass me in the past.
Robert

Gunner
02-01-2010, 07:51 PM
So i guess they are not adaptive, like all the other ducks.
I guess their migration route is quite specific, I have never seen or herd of them on the WCVII have seen many Brant in the Long Beach/Tofino area,usually during the spring migration.Some have been as much as 5 miles offshore,all headed north.There are a few small wintering areas on the coast,but in the fall the largest part of the brant population flies directly from Izbek(spelling?) Refuge at the base of the Aluetian Peninsulsa to central Baja.Some also winter in the Sea of Cortez.The birds we see in the spring are moving north.The wintering population in Boundary Bay has increased to about 2,000 birds I believe,Brant hunting is no longer allowed from the beach in BC,so the outlay for a proper boat and decoys is substantial.I sold mine when I moved to the Interior! Gunner

Duckman
02-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Most brant winter in Baja, but California still gets some too. Mainly in Morro Bay, but San Diego Bay gets a few too.

Crazy_Farmer
02-01-2010, 08:20 PM
You're right on locations Gunner for their migrations. But it should be mentioned that some brant are now no longer migrating south. They have found in the last couple years birds have stayed up in alaska only moving a few hundred miles south, and they had plenty of eel grass and the waters stayed open year round so they didnt head south.

So theres a bit of a shift there, same goes for possibly the island, here and even QCI the birds may short stop from going even further south and winter here. This has been a trend for along time with other geese and birds aswell. Cackling geese used to winter in the California Valleys then they pushed up into Oregon from farming practices and pressure, same thing with the wrangel snows. A vast majority used to winter in Cali, now its shifting to more then normal numbers wintering on the BC/WA side.

Kelly, I agree on the Wa numbers they stated 6002. Either thats very lucky or coincidence that they need 6000 to get a season. And they only hunt in Samish or Padilla Bay.

f350ps
02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Something else that kinda blows me away is when they leave Isembec they'll fly non stop for about 50 hours to the Gulf of Mexico or the Baja. Pretty tough little bird! K

Crazy_Farmer
02-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Was looking through some more photos and got a few others. Also the last picture is really dark but one the pair of wigeon to the right, the drake you can see the red head, didnt think I'd catch a euro wigeon in with the bunch. crazy.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/Jan%2031st%20Brant%20(9).jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/Jan%2031st%20Brant%20(10).jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/Jan%2031st%20Brant%20(11).jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/Jan%2031st%20Brant%20(12).jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/Jan%2031st%20Brant%20(7).jpg

fowl language
02-01-2010, 09:41 PM
saw them 50 mi. offshore straight west of sitka in the middle of a nasty storm one april about 6 or 7 yrs. ago, they carried on like it was business as usual.tough maybe isnt a strong enough word k... good write up ian, you have said what a lot of us just think....my reason for brant hunting... i,d be your 3 rd generation brant hunter and probably to stupid to know better or maybe i,m in need of an intervention..fowl

Gunner
02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
You're right on locations Gunner for their migrations. But it should be mentioned that some brant are now no longer migrating south. They have found in the last couple years birds have stayed up in alaska only moving a few hundred miles south, and they had plenty of eel grass and the waters stayed open year round so they didnt head south.

So theres a bit of a shift there, same goes for possibly the island, here and even QCI the birds may short stop from going even further south and winter here. This has been a trend for along time with other geese and birds aswell. Cackling geese used to winter in the California Valleys then they pushed up into Oregon from farming practices and pressure, same thing with the wrangel snows. A vast majority used to winter in Cali, now its shifting to more then normal numbers wintering on the BC/WA side.

Kelly, I agree on the Wa numbers they stated 6002. Either thats very lucky or coincidence that they need 6000 to get a season. And they only hunt in Samish or Padilla Bay.There used to be a good number of brant wintering in Masset inlet in the QCI,but they are gone.Also a lot used to stay on the inside at Tofino,huge eelgrass beds,and a herring spawn in March,just like Qualicum.The East Coast of the Island was always the centre of hunting pressure(except for Boundary Bay).That's how Slaughter Point at the mouth of the Englishman's River got its name! Gunner

Fred H
02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Nice pictures and nice text Ian. Where I am from (marine estuary of St-Lawrence river) we see some in the spring but almost none in the fall during hunting season. I like them very much too, they are like ghosts on the sea. Here are some shot from a few springs ago:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/beauderek/mi-avril072c.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/beauderek/mi-avril096c.jpg

branthunter
02-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Those are some really nice pics Adam---I might have to go down and polish up some decoys tomorrow.

dutchie
02-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Those are great photos of some awsome birds, What kind of Camera are you using?

Dutchie

Crazy_Farmer
02-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Canon 40D w/ Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L series lens

Setup I shouldnt be able to grow out of any time soon. Most anything wildlife I want to do I should be able to except closeups but thats what other lenses are for.

I guess I shouldnt complain about the price as to go to fixed lens of equal length or longer then the price really jumps. But lets just say the camera would be seeing any time in the boat on the water.

f350ps
02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Quite a few Grey Bellies in those first few pics. K

Crazy_Farmer
02-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Yep, actually a higher percentage of grey bellies then normal blacks. The other fellow watching them agreed on that. May just have something to do with washingtons seasons. Those two bays have a higher average of western High Arctic grey bellies that winter there. So they may of pushed north from pressure, who knows though for sure.

02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info guys
I was just curious. Seems like Brant hunting is to duck hunting what fly fishing is to fishing. Just another level in the climb to the top of learning about what we do.

crazy ducker
02-03-2010, 12:36 PM
we should try and get the e-caller to hunt brant and then that will bring more people out to hunt brant. can you get on that fowl.

f350ps
02-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Don't give him no ideas, let a sleepin dog lie! K

02-04-2010, 09:46 PM
looks like brant fever is heating up. one more month guys. hopefully you get a better opening day than the last one.

fowl language
02-05-2010, 08:52 AM
what do yo think crazy ducker,should i abandone my pursuit of getting the richmond foreshore re open to spend all my time getting an ecaller for brant. maybe you,d be interested in going to all the meetings in my place.just let me know and ill bring you up to speed....fowl

SHAKER
02-05-2010, 10:18 AM

What you trying to say???................ Some of us just recess mentally farther from the nutso activity of Brant hunting and get some hounds! I sure like that one bird with the light belly and neck streched on the left of that picture.

less then a month eh boys........ give e'm hell and take some pics to make me wish I was getting pelted with salt water again.

crazy ducker
02-05-2010, 06:28 PM
oh fowl it was a joke relax and take a pill. It was more to get at kelly than anyone

f350ps
02-05-2010, 07:57 PM
oh fowl it was a joke relax and take a pill. It was more to get at kelly than anyone
It'll take more than that feeble attempt! But all kidding aside, would we even need Richmond open, just get a bigger amp for our ecallers and call them over the river. :-D K

02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I saw a brant last time I went out duck hunting with Bob in november I think. the bird passed about 15 yards away. at first I did not recognize the call. those are some cool birds.