PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss 20-60x85 Diascope / Spotting Scope With Lotutec

The Hermit
01-31-2010, 11:32 AM
What is the word on this scope? Good? Too heavy? I'm certain the optics are awesome...

I have a chance to pick one up for a great price but I don't know much about them... might buy to flip.

yukon john
01-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Awesome scope! if you have a good price pick it up, its easier to carry 1 extra pound for 30 miles than carry 80 lbs for an extra 2 miles because you have to get closer. Personally I like the Zeiss over all the competition. The big advantage they have over swarovski is that the focus is a very small dial and the swarovski focus is so big that you bump the scope off when you adjust it. When you are 50 yards from a ram it can make all the difference.

bigwhiteys
02-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Excellent Scope.... The Lotutec coating helps shed water off the objective and ocular lenses. I picked up my Zeiss 85mm for $1000 BRAND NEW ( I traded some website work for partial payment)

From what I was told wholesale cost on a Zeiss is actually somewhere around $800. I don't even think about the weight... It's over 3 lbs, but sure saves on a lot of walking.

Carl

gbear
02-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Buy it!!! You can't go wrong with that scope. Sure it is a bit bigger and heavier, but in the long run, it will save you miles. I have one and have taken it on sheep hunts and do not regret it one bit

Maxx
02-01-2010, 07:12 PM
they are great scopes...fyi- zeiss is launching their new models with magnesium body, rubber coating, and a new eyepiece that will be maximum 56 power for the 65mm , and max 76x for the 85mm....and the new eyepiece will work on the older scopes...

The Hermit
02-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Excellent Scope.... The Lotutec coating helps shed water off the objective and ocular lenses. I picked up my Zeiss 85mm for $1000 BRAND NEW ( I traded some website work for partial payment)

From what I was told wholesale cost on a Zeiss is actually somewhere around $800. I don't even think about the weight... It's over 3 lbs, but sure saves on a lot of walking.

Carl

Whoa!!! $1000 brand new? Is that with or without the eye piece? Either way it is a great deal!!

The Hermit
02-01-2010, 10:28 PM
WOW again. $1000 with the eye piece is crazy! They sell for $2499 at Cabelas in the US today and are way more than that up here! How old is yours and does it have the Loutec coatings and FL lenses etc? Good on you!!!

goinghunting
02-01-2016, 09:59 PM
Anybody still liking these zeiss diascopes in the 85mm 20-75x or have the new swaro atx/stx's blown them out of the water?

goinghunting
02-05-2016, 09:40 AM
does nobody still have a zeiss spotter?

Sharpish
02-05-2016, 09:50 AM
I have a zeiss dialyt. I think it's awesome but it probably doesn't compare to the diascope or Swarovski.

bigwhiteys
02-05-2016, 10:05 AM
Anybody still liking these zeiss diascopes in the 85mm 20-75x or have the new swaro atx/stx's blown them out of the water?

I've still got my Zeiss Diascope in the 85mm but it's 20x60 power. The 60 power has only ever been useful under pristine conditions and most of the time doesn't get used anyway. If they have figured out how to eliminate heat waves at the higher magnification then the 75x would be interesting.

goinghunting
02-05-2016, 07:31 PM
I've still got my Zeiss Diascope in the 85mm but it's 20x60 power. The 60 power has only ever been useful under pristine conditions and most of the time doesn't get used anyway. If they have figured out how to eliminate heat waves at the higher magnification then the 75x would be interesting.

Have you had a chance to look through a new swarovski to compare your zeiss to? How do you find your zeiss at low light for fine detail?

Kootenay Logger
02-05-2016, 09:28 PM
I have a new zeiss diascope and my son has Swarovski, anyone who can tell the difference looking through them has better eyes than me! But I do like the focus on the zeiss better, can't go wrong with either scope.

goinghunting
02-05-2016, 09:35 PM
I have a new zeiss diascope and my son has Swarovski, anyone who can tell the difference looking through them has better eyes than me! But I do like the focus on the zeiss better, can't go wrong with either scope.

Thats interesting. Do you know what size swarovski your son has?

RiverOtter
02-06-2016, 11:15 AM
While we're on the subject, has anyone here compared the latest Leica top end spotter to the Swaro and Zeiss stuff?
Read a review from a guy in the US who claimed the new Leica was the new "Grail".

Weatherby Fan
02-06-2016, 11:29 AM
While we're on the subject, has anyone here compared the latest Leica top end spotter to the Swaro and Zeiss stuff?
Read a review from a guy in the US who claimed the new Leica was the new "Grail".

Funny you say that, I spoke to several salesmen about spotting scopes in the last 6 months and everyone said if you have the money and want the best go with the Leica......I use their binos and cant say anything bad about them !

Kootenay Logger
02-06-2016, 08:35 PM
My son has the 60x Swaro and I have 75x zeiss, never tried the Leica spotter, but I wanted a 75x and they didn't have one when I bought mine, when sheep hunting the higher power does make a difference, you do have heat waves but in the morning it is crystal clear and would never do without 75x again!

goinghunting
02-07-2016, 08:17 PM

Ive looked through the new leica's and there really nice but to dark at low light for my eyes.

goinghunting
02-07-2016, 08:20 PM
My son has the 60x Swaro and I have 75x zeiss, never tried the Leica spotter, but I wanted a 75x and they didn't have one when I bought mine, when sheep hunting the higher power does make a difference, you do have heat waves but in the morning it is crystal clear and would never do without 75x again!

This is why im interested in the zeiss, that 75x power is appealling. I looked through one just momentarily a couple years ago but kind of remrmber the field of view was really small. You ever noticed this kootenay logger?

Brew
02-07-2016, 08:47 PM
I have the 65mm and I really like it. I too picked it up at a steal brand new for 1200$. I'd get it if I was you. I only bought mine because of the price and was pleasantly surprised at the quality.