PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal???

sammy-j-peppers
01-30-2010, 06:39 PM

yama49
01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
i would have to say yes, no diff then a hunting blind...

gibblewabble
01-30-2010, 06:48 PM
When sleeping in Grizz country one would be stupid to not have a loaded gun at the ready but I doubt you are allowed to have one loaded at the ready.....you might walk out of reach and then someone bent on breaking the law take it.

Ozone
01-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Im guessing you got 3 different answers

PGK
01-30-2010, 06:55 PM
How about

3) I don't care, I'm doing it anyway?

I'm fairly sure its illegal when you consider regulations considering safe firearm storage. But like I say, I'd rather pay the fine than not be able to shoot my way out of the bear burrito situation...

Gateholio
01-30-2010, 06:56 PM
If you are in an area where it is legal to discharge a firearm, it's legal to have a loaded firearm, s long as it is under your control. (You can't leave an unattended, loaded firearm in your tent)

The exceptions to this would be if there are other, specific laws that prohibit it (such as in your truck)

boxhitch
01-30-2010, 07:18 PM
IMO A tent is not a residence, so the same rules apply as in the outdoors.
Practice safe handling skills, muzzle control

On that line, being drunk in a tent would be the same as drunk in a public place ? Not a safe haven ?

.308win
01-30-2010, 07:26 PM
I said yes......interesting question!!! Should be some interesting comments on this one!

Perry

limit time
01-30-2010, 07:43 PM
If you are in an area where it is legal to discharge a firearm, it's legal to have a loaded firearm, s long as it is under your control. (You can't leave an unattended, loaded firearm in your tent)

The exceptions to this would be if there are other, specific laws that prohibit it (such as in your truck)

From the rcmp-grc,

UNLOADED non-restricted firearms can be kept unlocked:
temporarily if needed to control animal predators in an area where firearms can lawfully be fired ( amunition must be kept separate or locked up); or
in a remote wildernesss area (ammunition may be kept readily accessible).

As far as i can tell it can not be in the gun! Like Gatehouse say if you are lawfully hunting.

papaken
01-30-2010, 07:46 PM
After seeing videos of what grizzlies do to tents, I wouldn't go to bed without the riot gun right next to me. If I'm in the canopy or camper, gun beside me 3 slugs on the window sill. Better to be safe than eaten!

limit time
01-30-2010, 07:47 PM

On that line, being drunk in a tent would be the same as drunk in a public place ? Not a safe haven ?

Yes a TENT is your residence! It is leagel to drink in your tent, Not outside your tent.

Gateholio
01-30-2010, 07:50 PM
From the rcmp-grc,

temporarily if needed to control animal predators in an area where firearms can lawfully be fired ( amunition must be kept separate or locked up); or

That is storage.

If you are present it is not storage and it's under your supervision and it can be loaded and sitting in your tent.

[QUOTE]As far as i can tell it can not be in the gun! Like Gatehouse say if you are lawfully hunting./QUOTE]

You dont' have to be hunting to have a loaded firearm in your possession. You just ned to be somewhere that it is legal to discharge a firearm.

safarichris
01-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Especially in known bear country, I would be sleeping with my finger Crazy Glued to the safety.

limit time
01-30-2010, 07:55 PM
That is storage.

If you are present it is not storage and it's under your supervision and it can be loaded and sitting in your tent.

[quote]As far as i can tell it can not be in the gun! Like Gatehouse say if you are lawfully hunting./QUOTE]

You dont' have to be hunting to have a loaded firearm in your possession. You just ned to be somewhere that it is legal to discharge a firearm.

Yes..but when you sleep you are not attending, so it must be unloaded?

Brett
01-30-2010, 08:09 PM
maybe the guys at work are thinking Park (crown land)?

moosinaround
01-30-2010, 08:24 PM
I will continue to sleep in my tent in bear country with a loaded 12ga shot gun, or 300 win mag!! Any predator who is interested in snackin on me will get an unpleasent surprise!! Moosin

leadpillproductions
01-30-2010, 08:28 PM
if is not legal ill take the fine

Jagermeister
01-30-2010, 08:40 PM
How about

3) I don't care, I'm doing it anyway?

I'm fairly sure its illegal when you consider regulations considering safe firearm storage. But like I say, I'd rather pay the fine than not be able to shoot my way out of the bear burrito situation...
Works for me!

Big Lew
01-30-2010, 09:02 PM
If you are dead, you can't pay the fine!
I've not had a bear situation, but have had a cougar try to launch off a cutbank onto my horse and me....even with my saddle gun loaded but on safety, it took what seemed forever to get it out of the scabbard and the safety off....if I had to load it as well, triple the time. second incident, a large doberman attacked my horse, trying to grab it by the throat. I kept spinning the horse around while trying to get the same rifle out of the scabbard and reload it. I was only able to get one shell into the breach within a minute. By this time my horse had received several nasty scratches on it's neck. The owner finally called the dog off when he saw me take aim. To this day I wish I had left that gun loaded because I sure would have had the time to shoot that menace....I keep thinking if it had been a youngster riding along, what would have happened.
Illegal or not, your personal safety comes first, in my opinion, as I first stated...If you're dead, you can't pay the fine!

cainer
01-30-2010, 09:04 PM
after the brambles incident, i'd probably have 3 in the mag...but i feel pretty safe in my camper!

elkdom
01-30-2010, 09:09 PM
an unloaded rifle is a CLUB! :?, if a club comforts you?? have at it!:neutral:

as for Crown land or Private land?? if you are there within the law, then no worries,,,

limit time
01-30-2010, 09:09 PM

Not to hijack the thread, BUT... say supposed scenario happened; A huge Griz attacks your tent at night, and you are lucky enough to kill it.

Would you report this...:twisted:

Steeleco
01-30-2010, 09:16 PM

Ditto. As much as discharging a firearm within 1/4 mile of a rec site is unlawful. I'd still do it if defending me or mine, or anyone camped nearby.

Moose Guide
01-30-2010, 09:17 PM
From the rcmp-grc,

As far as i can tell it can not be in the gun! Like Gatehouse say if you are lawfully hunting.

I think this is for coyotes and dogs on a farm or predators at a community pasture(remote, wilderness)

landphil
01-30-2010, 09:17 PM

I'd have to agree, unless it's a forestry camp site (crown land, not legal to discharge a firearm in a forestry campsite), or you tent is inside your truck..., you are good to go.

Yes..but when you sleep you are not attending, so it must be unloaded?

So what happens when you fall asleep sitting up against a tree glassing for deer - are you a criminal at that point?:wink:

yama49
01-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Not to hijack the thread, BUT... say supposed scenario happened; A huge Griz attacks your tent at night, and you are lucky enough to kill it.

Would you report this...:twisted:

Yep and would have no problems tell them i slept with my gun loaded..

limit time
01-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Yep and would have no problems tell them i slept with my gun loaded..
I bet they would charge (or try to ) with poaching.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Aint nothing in this world more useless than an empty gun

when sleeping in bear country ... yep

Ozone
01-30-2010, 09:25 PM

Highly unlikely

limit time
01-30-2010, 09:42 PM

This is what I found on a tent. http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/freeside/--%20L%20--/Liquor%20Control%20and%20Licensing%20Act%20%20RSBC %201996%20%20c.%20267/00_96267_01.xml#section1

BOOTS!
01-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Here's noob's 2 cents.

If you're in a place where you're worried about being caught by some authority person with having a loaded firearm in your tent, then I would imagine there are more authorities than bears in the area.

I think it comes down to safe firearm storage. Is it safe to be asleep with a fully loaded firearm in your tent, that you are effectively leaving unattended? I would think not.

MuleyMadness
01-30-2010, 09:51 PM

It's perfectly legal to shoot a predatory animal that is attacking you in defense of your life. Cougars, bears, wolves and yotes are all fair game if they are trying to make a snack of you. As long as you disclose it you are okay...if you kill it and try to hide it and they find out, then your entire character comes into question, and everything you say will be looked upon with doubt.

MuleyMadness
01-30-2010, 09:53 PM
"residence" means
(a) a building or part of it, or a trailer, camper, manufactured home, tent or vessel that is genuinely and actually occupied and used by the owner, lessee or tenant solely as a
(i) private dwelling,
(ii) private guest room in a hotel, motel, auto court, lodging house, boarding house or club, or
(iii) private summer dwelling, or a private dwelling or living place used during vacation periods or a private lodge, or
(b) a building or part of it designated by the general manager in a permit or other document as a private dwelling

So according to that, it is a residence...idgaf anyways cause alive and wrong beats dead and right everyday and twice on Sundays.

landphil
01-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Here's noob's 2 cents.

If you're in a place where you're worried about being caught by some authority person with having a loaded firearm in your tent, then I would imagine there are more authorities than bears in the area.

I think it comes down to safe firearm storage. Is it safe to be asleep with a fully loaded firearm in your tent, that you are effectively leaving unattended? I would think not.

I agree with your first statement, but not your second. Here's some good reading if you want to know why. No doubt caution is in order with ANY loaded rifle.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40606&highlight=grizzly

boxhitch
01-30-2010, 11:23 PM
"residence" means
(a) a building or part of it, or a trailer, camper, manufactured home, tent or vessel that is genuinely and actually occupied and used by the owner, lessee or tenant solely as a
(i) private dwelling,
(ii) private guest room in a hotel, motel, auto court, lodging house, boarding house or club, or
(iii) private summer dwelling, or a private dwelling or living place used during vacation periods or a private lodge, or
(b) a building or part of it designated by the general manager in a permit or other document as a private dwelling

No distinction between temporary or permanent
How private is a tent on public lands ?

then add the part you omitted

together with the land appurtenant to it that is essential or appropriate for the convenient use, occupation and enjoyment of a private dwelling or private summer dwelling;Points to titled or permitted lands maybe ?
Maybe applies to a pay-for-use site
But a temporary tent in the wilderness ?

Hank Hunter
01-30-2010, 11:39 PM
I was talking with a few guys at work about this one and no one could agree on the answer. I have already contacted the Co's RCMP and the head of firearms canada a few months ago and they all gave me the same answer. Just wondering how many guys on here know...... Ill give this one some time before I give the answer.

Not sure why anyone even asks this ? Are you just bored or maybe ???????????

Gateholio
01-31-2010, 12:13 AM

HAW HAW HAW

Good one....
:mrgreen:

I'm envisioning the rifle jumping up from beside your sleeping bag and start shooting people...
:wink:

MuleyMadness
01-31-2010, 12:25 AM
No distinction between temporary or permanent
How private is a tent on public lands ?

then add the part you omitted
Points to titled or permitted lands maybe ?
Maybe applies to a pay-for-use site
But a temporary tent in the wilderness ?

Sorry I didn't mean to omit anything...I actually don't have an opinion on it either way, was just pasting the info from the link that was posted earlier...however

living place used during vacation periods

That to me is what makes me think the law sees it as a residence, unless they are actually indicating 'private living place used during vacation periods' it would omit a tent in the woods...however they didn't use the word private in that portion of the statement, yet they used it in the remainder.

What it comes down to is...I have no goddamn clue if it's legal or not, even after reading the law lol...I choose protection, and iIFit is a private residence, I guess any CO or RCMP officer would require a search warrant to enter it, because they need have probable cause to enter it otherwise, and as there is no proof you are doing anything illegal, NOR any proof you have a stored firearm, then I guess it's something of a moot point. :confused:

Hank Hunter
01-31-2010, 12:30 AM
Here's noob's 2 cents.

Sleep well, you know you wont fart and your gun wont kill you
We all know about air triggers

HAW HAW HAW

Good one....
:mrgreen:

I'm envisioning the rifle jumping up from beside your sleeping bag and start shooting people...
:wink:
Happens all the time

Hank Hunter
01-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Anyone who hunts and sleeps in remote areas should ask a couple of members on this site if they think a loaded gun is necessary

Gateholio
01-31-2010, 12:33 AM
'Hello in the tent! This is the RCMP"

"What can I do for you officer?"

"Sir, are you sleeping with a loaded firearm?"

"No Officer. I am wide awake with a loaded firearm"
:mrgreen::-D

Hank Hunter
01-31-2010, 12:37 AM
lmao, happens every time I go hunting :wink:

guntech
01-31-2010, 12:37 AM
I agree with Gatehouse.

If the tent is pitched where it is legal to discharge your rifle, you can have it loaded in the tent.

Personally I would not have one in the chamber.

It would not bother me to have the magazine loaded while I sleep. No one is going to be able to approach and zip my tent open and reach my rifle before I do.

hunter1947
01-31-2010, 05:08 AM
I don't see anything in the regs stating you can't have a loaded gun in your tent ,my vote was yes..

ratherbefishin
01-31-2010, 06:48 AM
I do-but probably only to make me feel better-chances are if a grizzly actually collapsed the tent in the middle of the night I wouldn;t be able to see it or get a shot off with all the canvas down around me-plus the risk of hitting one of the other guys who was in the tent with me-tough call.If anything this makes a case for a heavy caliber hand gun which is more maneuverable in that situation.We got one of those mossberg pumps with the pistol grip handle ,loaded with buckshot to keep under the campcot.Probably should get a tactical light to mount on the barrel rather than trying to find my flashlight

I can recall one time in the kootneys I awoke to hear heavy footfalls approaching the tent,and lay there thinking maybe I should just pull the sleeping bag over my head,when I heard a knicker-it was some horses lan outfitter left to graze.....scared the crap out of me...as we had just talked to a guy camped 1/2 mile away who had a bear had rip apart a trailer to get at an elk carcass inside a couple of days before

My neighbour tells me of sleeping out in a dome tent on a full moon night and seeing the shadow of a bear against the tent wall that stood up and ran his paw down the tent fabric-next morning they saw where he had disturbed the hoarfrost.He said they lay quiet and held the loaded shotgun pointed at the shadow of the bear,who eventually wandered off .....I got a camper this year, not that it will keep a bear out -but that it would give me maybe a couple of minutes to get a shot off

thunderheart
01-31-2010, 08:05 AM
'Hello in the tent! This is the RCMP"

"What can I do for you officer?"

"Sir, are you sleeping with a loaded firearm?"

"No Officer. I am wide awake with a loaded firearm"
:mrgreen::-D

plain and simple if you ask me .. no sir i am awake ..lol lol

really when it gets right down to it i wouldnt sleep with out the hallway clearer loaded beside me ..is it legal? .. like one of the members said ... i'll take the fine

SHAKER
01-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Ask my friend brambles about that question LOL. My tent is my property if you don't have a warrent then go away!

BCBRAD
01-31-2010, 10:17 AM
this is a silly conversation, I camp in a tent alot there is always a fire arm present and loaded, doesn't matter were I am, in populated parks discreteness is a must as the other campers fear the site of a firearm as much as an enraged penis. while travelling the bush roads there is a short shotgun in the cab, while not loaded can be loaded in seconds this is from a lesson learned ( in the early 80's two sruffy hillbillies stopped us in the middle of the road and asked for our spare tire, I said no and would call someone to come rescue them when I got back to town, that was not good enough but the sight of the double 12 gauge on my lap kinda ended the thought of getting the spare tire, in the end they did not want me to call a friend for help.

Slee
01-31-2010, 10:33 AM
this is a silly conversation, I camp in a tent alot there is always a fire arm present and loaded, doesn't matter were I am, in populated parks discreteness is a must as the other campers fear the site of a firearm as much as an enraged penis. while travelling the bush roads there is a short shotgun in the cab, while not loaded can be loaded in seconds this is from a lesson learned ( in the early 80's two sruffy hillbillies stopped us in the middle of the road and asked for our spare tire, I said no and would call someone to come rescue them when I got back to town, that was not good enough but the sight of the double 12 gauge on my lap kinda ended the thought of getting the spare tire, in the end they did not want me to call a friend for help.

I dont think its that silly, Obviously there are few guys out there that dont know all the laws while they are out hunting/camping..... Its always good to learn more about a sport you like.

deerstocker
01-31-2010, 10:48 AM
i always have one in the tent --- its to late to ask ? when theres something scratching outside and believe me what ever is scratching dont care if u r or r not aloud

BCBRAD
01-31-2010, 11:06 AM
I dont think its that silly, Obviously there are few guys out there that dont know all the laws while they are out hunting/camping..... Its always good to learn more about a sport you like.

its true that it is a must to know the laws of the land and your activity in particular, however, all laws may not pretain to your situation. Sorta who are you going to call 911 or 357. Use your own sense and weigh the risks against the rewards and even though a firearm may be just a feel good device in some circumstances it is better than the feeling of defenselessness.

BOOTS!
01-31-2010, 11:23 AM

nyuck nyuck nyuck..... yes we all know guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Nevertheless, i don't think it's safe to have a fully loaded firearm in your tent while you're sleeping. Firearms are dangerous things and the only way to make them safe is to unload them.

Would you take a 12guage, fill it full of 000 buck, and leave it on your coffee table while you took a nap? You're leaving a firearm in a dangerous state completely unattended. When you're asleep you have no control over it.

Certainly in the woods, hungry bears coming in to camp would be a problem. But not big enough a problem to leave a fully loaded gun laying around camp.

Or maybe I'm getting the concept of 'loaded' wrong here? Forgive my noob ignorance. Wait a minute! I'm a hunting noob, not a gun noob! A fully loaded firearm is one that has a full magazine and one in the chamber. A firearm with rounds in the mag but none in the chamber is not fully loaded.

So best practices here would be to take your shotty, put four in the tube, put the safety on, and then put it in a case inside your tent. That way you know where it is in the event you need it, and there isn't a shell sitting in the chamber waiting for an accident to happen.

Slee
01-31-2010, 11:24 AM
its true that it is a must to know the laws of the land and your activity in particular, however, all laws may not pretain to your situation. Sorta who are you going to call 911 or 357. Use your own sense and weigh the risks against the rewards and even though a firearm may be just a feel good device in some circumstances it is better than the feeling of defenselessness.

Very true, Im just on the thought that its a nice one to know. If your camped on the side of the road somewhere and you a CO pull up, you dont have to worry that you have one in the tube.....

BCBRAD
01-31-2010, 11:28 AM
would an 870 with 4 rounds in the magazine, chamber empty, and tucked into your sleeping bag with you be politically correct...........of course instructions must be given on with trigger the gf or wf is allowed to touch

mcrae
01-31-2010, 11:40 AM
This past fall I had a black bear climb into the back of my truck attempting to take my hard earned deer away. I had my deer hanging on a rack in the back of the box.

I fumbled around in the tent looking for my rifle and I ended up getting pissed off and grabbing my hatchet. Tossed it at the bear and smoked it in the ribs. Never seen a bear run so fast...

The morale of my story, a hatchet is an effective bear defence tool on a very SMALL bear, but from that point on the rifle was right beside me as was my head lamp. I left the bolt closed and the magazine full but I did not keep one in the chamber.

Moose Guide
01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
A couple in Alaska were camped by a river(in the arctic, not a salmon stream), they had a 457 alaskan co-pilot loaded and ready but never got off a shot, the bear attacked so fast and violently that both died without getting a shot off!!! Mine is loaded, don't jump on my tent!!!

Gateholio
01-31-2010, 06:40 PM
nyuck nyuck nyuck..... yes we all know guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Nevertheless, i don't think it's safe to have a fully loaded firearm in your tent while you're sleeping. Firearms are dangerous things and the only way to make them safe is to unload them.

Actually, the only way to make them safe is to NOT violate one of the 4 safety rules.

Would you take a 12guage, fill it full of 000 buck, and leave it on your coffee table while you took a nap?

Yeah, sure I would, if I felt the desire or need to use it in a hurry.

You're leaving a firearm in a dangerous state completely unattended. When you're asleep you have no control over it.

How exactly is someone going to break into my tent without me knowing about it?:confused:

Certainly in the woods, hungry bears coming in to camp would be a problem. But not big enough a problem to leave a fully loaded gun laying around camp.

How is it that myself and millions of others have doen just this for many years without the gun in question jumping up and shooting people?

Or maybe I'm getting the concept of 'loaded' wrong here? Forgive my noob ignorance. Wait a minute! I'm a hunting noob, not a gun noob! A fully loaded firearm is one that has a full magazine and one in the chamber. A firearm with rounds in the mag but none in the chamber is not fully loaded

Makes no difference for "legal" questions.

So best practices here would be to take your shotty, put four in the tube, put the safety on, and then put it in a case inside your tent. That way you know where it is in the event you need it, and there isn't a shell sitting in the chamber waiting for an accident to happen.

Why woudl you put the safety on if there wasn't a shell in the chamber?

boxhitch
01-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to omit anything...I actually don't have an opinion on it either way, was just pasting the info from the link that was posted earlier...however

living place used during vacation periods

That to me is what makes me think the law sees it as a residence, unless they are actually indicating 'private living place used during vacation periods' it would omit a tent in the woods...however they didn't use the word private in that portion of the statement, yet they used it in the remainder.

You supplied a good link, good info.
I picked it apart for shitzengiggles.
I suppose they had to write it that way as somewhere someone does use a tent as a primary permanent residence.

Myself, I load up the chamber as soon as I get off the plane, and 10 weeks later it gets emptied. Usually not the same rounds as at the start though ;)

BOOTS!
02-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Actually, the only way to make them safe is to NOT violate one of the 4 safety rules.

Rule #3 is muzzle control. How can you control the muzzle if you're sawing logs in your tent? I don't know about you, but when I'm asleep I'm asleep. Out cold. I roll around in my sleep too, I suspect you do too. Tents are usually tight spaces. I don't want to be rolling around in a tent with a fully loaded shotgun, put it in a case.

How exactly is someone going to break into my tent without me knowing about it?:confused:

'cause you're asleep? Maybe you're a light sleeper, I don't know.

How is it that myself and millions of others have doen just this for many years without the gun in question jumping up and shooting people?

Because -you- are probably a responsible firearms owner and so are your friends. However spend one saturday at the PoCo range and you wil see that there are a LOT of gun numpties out there, that really shouldn't have more supervision.

Why woudl you put the safety on if there wasn't a shell in the chamber?

To prevent an accident. Since we're talking about bear defence, we'll work with the concept of a 12ga. The 12ga, with either slug or 000/00 buck inside, is a devestating weapon. When it goes off, anyone hit with it at close range is goine to die, period. Getting hit by 2 to 5 >.32 caliber pellets in the centre-mass/torso will kill you, maybe not instantly but soon enough you will be dead. Getting a full load of buckshot won't even give you time to think about how much you wasted your life, you will be dead before that happens. Shotguns are the most dangerous of all firearms because of this, and need to be treated as such.

Leaving a shotgun -fully- loaded, 4 in the tube one in the chamber, and just relying on the saftey being on is just plain dumb. I don't care what the law says, it's a bad idea. The 870 has a cross bolt saftey, but the mossy 590 is completely different, and the winchester 1100 is another design or maybe you have an Ithica? What about all these cheapo chinese clones people are buying? Are you going to rely on that saftey being on and that it's a completely 100% working saftey? N-F-W says I. Leave one out of the chamber until you are ready to shoot.

Putting just 4 in the tube, none in the chamber and leaving the saftey off is still not making the weapon safe. By turning the saftey on you're making the gun as safe as possible given the circumstances. If it's your gun, you know the condition of it. But your buddy doesnt know. Maybe you have the gun rigged to slam fire. Maybe the firing pin is sticky. Maybe, maybe maybe. Too many variables for such a dangerous weapon.

By leaving one out of the chamber and the saftey on, it's also far better to articulate the conscientious descision to shoot. In order to fire the gun, you had to rack the action, turn the saftey off, aim and squeeze. There's no denying you made that conscientious decision to shoot Yogi. For somebody else, using it in a panic, they can pick it up and it won't work until they slow their thought process down enough to rack the action, turn the saftey off and shoot. If Yogi's mauling me, I don't want some nervous nelly to be shooting, I want someone who's calmed down enough to figure out how to work the damned gun.

For bear defence, this is an emergency saftey device. I wouldn't leave somethign that my life depends on unattended or in a state where another person could alter the condition I left it in. When you loaded the shotgun, you knew what ammo you put in it. Some people like to put a sock round or a banger in the tube first, others like straight slugs, or a mix of slug and buck, or just buck. Point is, if you're loading that gun for your own defence you better know what the hell is in that thing, and be double damn certain nobody's monkied with it since you loaded it. The last thing I'd want is to have Yogi mauling my buddy, then go to fire off what I think is a 1oz slug and all that happens is "bang-screech-flash" coming out of the gun.

Poop happens. We all know this. When it does, I like to be ready for it and not bubmling around wondering where I left my gun and not being certain of the condition it is in. I want it in a place where I know it is, where I know what ammunition is in it, and in a state that is safe to pick up and use in a critical stress situation.

But that's me, I'm not a hunter (yet).

Hank Hunter
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
:wink:BOOTS, you have much to learn about reality and not just text book quoting and all the rest of that mumbo jumbo what if crap :mrgreen:

.308cal
02-01-2010, 03:03 PM
While I'm in the tent the shotty's on my bag under my cot .
Mag full of slugs, chamber empty, safety off.
When I'm not in the tent I'm hunting so I have a loaded gun in my hands.
Then the shotty's empty and locked up.

yama49
02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
:wink:BOOTS, you have much to learn about reality and not just text book quoting and all the rest of that mumbo jumbo what if crap :mrgreen:

i agree x2

KB90
02-01-2010, 03:14 PM
When are we going to get the answer?

Hank Hunter
02-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Phone the CO's you will have your answer right away :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Slee
02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Old gatehouse has it spot on. It is a 100% legal to have a loaded firearm inside your tent (even while sleeping) As long as you are in an area that allows legal discharging of a firearm. A tent is not considered a residence. It is a temporary shelter. (examples tent, hunting blind, tarp, ...)

This question came up after those guys had a grizzly jump on their tent in the east koots this last fall. The one guy told the news he was now going to start to keep his rifle loaded while he sleeps. A coworker made a comment about how silly he was being telling them he was going to do something illegal.

As mentioned at the begining I called the RCMP, two local CO's and talking to someone at the chief firearms office. They all gave me the same response.

it was already given.......

BOOTS!
02-01-2010, 03:29 PM
hehehe. Like I said, I'm not a hunter. Yet. I'm learning.

But I'm also not one of these losers who has to qualify myself with a little resume before stating my opinion. As a person who is 6'4, I can tell you that I need a longer inseam to my trousers than someone who is 5'8". I hate those people.

So let's just say, I'm not giving the 'textbook' answer about tactitcal shotgun, and leave it at that. :)

Hank Hunter
02-01-2010, 03:32 PM
But I'm also not one of these losers who has to qualify myself with a little resume before stating my opinion. As a person who is 6'4, I can tell you that I need a longer inseam to my trousers than someone who is 5'8". I hate those people.:)

What !!!! that's relevant ? How? :confused:

Gateholio
02-01-2010, 04:01 PM
]
Rule #3 is muzzle control. How can you control the muzzle if you're sawing logs in your tent? I don't know about you, but when I'm asleep I'm asleep. Out cold. I roll around in my sleep too, I suspect you do too. Tents are usually tight spaces. I don't want to be rolling around in a tent with a fully loaded shotgun, put it in a case.

Point it in a safe direction before going to sleep. It's not going to jostle itself into pointing at your ear.

Because -you- are probably a responsible firearms owner and so are your friends. However spend one saturday at the PoCo range and you wil see that there are a LOT of gun numpties out there, that really shouldn't have more supervision.

We aren't talking abotu the PoCO range...

To prevent an accident.

But if you have an empty chamber, and put your gun beside you and go to sleep, it's nto going to chamber a round by itself...

Since we're talking about bear defence, we'll work with the concept of a 12ga. The 12ga, with either slug or 000/00 buck inside, is a devestating weapon. When it goes off, anyone hit with it at close range is goine to die, period. Getting hit by 2 to 5 >.32 caliber pellets in the centre-mass/torso will kill you, maybe not instantly but soon enough you will be dead. Getting a full load of buckshot won't even give you time to think about how much you wasted your life, you will be dead before that happens. Shotguns are the most dangerous of all firearms because of this, and need to be treated as such.

Leaving a shotgun -fully- loaded, 4 in the tube one in the chamber, and just relying on the saftey being on is just plain dumb. I don't care what the law says, it's a bad idea. The 870 has a cross bolt saftey, but the mossy 590 is completely different, and the winchester 1100 is another design or maybe you have an Ithica? What about all these cheapo chinese clones people are buying? Are you going to rely on that saftey being on and that it's a completely 100% working saftey? N-F-W says I. Leave one out of the chamber until you are ready to shoot.

Putting just 4 in the tube, none in the chamber and leaving the saftey off is still not making the weapon safe. By turning the saftey on you're making the gun as safe as possible given the circumstances. If it's your gun, you know the condition of it. But your buddy doesnt know. Maybe you have the gun rigged to slam fire. Maybe the firing pin is sticky. Maybe, maybe maybe. Too many variables for such a dangerous weapon.

By leaving one out of the chamber and the saftey on, it's also far better to articulate the conscientious descision to shoot. In order to fire the gun, you had to rack the action, turn the saftey off, aim and squeeze. There's no denying you made that conscientious decision to shoot Yogi. For somebody else, using it in a panic, they can pick it up and it won't work until they slow their thought process down enough to rack the action, turn the saftey off and shoot. If Yogi's mauling me, I don't want some nervous nelly to be shooting, I want someone who's calmed down enough to figure out how to work the damned gun.

For bear defence, this is an emergency saftey device. I wouldn't leave somethign that my life depends on unattended or in a state where another person could alter the condition I left it in. When you loaded the shotgun, you knew what ammo you put in it. Some people like to put a sock round or a banger in the tube first, others like straight slugs, or a mix of slug and buck, or just buck. Point is, if you're loading that gun for your own defence you better know what the hell is in that thing, and be double damn certain nobody's monkied with it since you loaded it. The last thing I'd want is to have Yogi mauling my buddy, then go to fire off what I think is a 1oz slug and all that happens is "bang-screech-flash" coming out of the gun.

Poop happens. We all know this. When it does, I like to be ready for it and not bubmling around wondering where I left my gun and not being certain of the condition it is in. I want it in a place where I know it is, where I know what ammunition is in it, and in a state that is safe to pick up and use in a critical stress situation.

But that's me, I'm not a hunter (yet).

I have a feeling you may be over thinking this....:wink:

Gateholio
02-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Why do I think of these sort of shotguns when I read this thread?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/tactical20shotgun.jpg

gibblewabble
02-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I am with Gatehouse on this Boots, there is safe handling and then there is blindly following the gun laws, what we are doing is legal and anyways I would rather be alive to pay a fine than dead and not able. By the way boots are all that would be left is a pile of clothes and an empty gun oh and your Boots.

brenden
02-01-2010, 07:48 PM
If it were 100% illegal to have a loaded gun in a tent then I would break the law deliberately. Only a fool would camp in a backpack tent without a loaded gun anywhere I hunt. If the weather is right I will sleep with the door wide open for a quick exit. My two favorite hunting spots, (sand creek, iron creek) have some of the highest inland grizz population densities in the province. You guys saw Rattlers tent. It happens.....

Brenden

Cole
02-01-2010, 08:50 PM
If you are dead, you can't pay the fine!
I've not had a bear situation, but have had a cougar try to launch off a cutbank onto my horse and me....even with my saddle gun loaded but on safety, it took what seemed forever to get it out of the scabbard and the safety off....if I had to load it as well, triple the time. second incident, a large doberman attacked my horse, trying to grab it by the throat. I kept spinning the horse around while trying to get the same rifle out of the scabbard and reload it. I was only able to get one shell into the breach within a minute. By this time my horse had received several nasty scratches on it's neck. The owner finally called the dog off when he saw me take aim. To this day I wish I had left that gun loaded because I sure would have had the time to shoot that menace....I keep thinking if it had been a youngster riding along, what would have happened.
Illegal or not, your personal safety comes first, in my opinion, as I first stated...If you're dead, you can't pay the fine!

You should have shot the bugger. I would have , law or not. Dog, that is.

silvicon
02-01-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't give a hoot if legal or not!
I keep my gun loadet.
BC is grizzly country, countrare what the antis say.

hunter1947
02-02-2010, 04:27 AM
I was glad that i had my defender loaded up with 7 slugs in it with a flash light on the barrel that one dark night at 12am when Mr Griz made a visit into our camp ,I really don't care about legal or illegal the gun stays loaded buy my bed at all times during night time when I am in Griz country..

Mr. Dean
02-03-2010, 01:26 AM
BOOTS;

Everything in your post seems well thought out AND, IYO,,,what should be done. This is good!

But...... What YOU feel should be done doesn't change the fact that a legal act, is legal and is a great example of how GREAT our society is; we still have *some* freedom of choice in our lives - Not a lot, but some.

ChilliwackWinchester
02-03-2010, 02:55 AM
I do like the idea of the first round being a banger. It's a pretty tough call... that first round might be the only shot you get, but at the same time, that first round might be the panicked accidental fumble and unintended discharge in a full tent.
When we head to Prince George or the East Kootenay's, we usually have 6 sleeping in our tent. Doesn't leave a very large margin for error.
That being said... until the day where a banger is available for a rifle (maybe it is already) The 300wm stays loaded and ready.

bwanadick
02-03-2010, 05:22 AM
I was talking with a few guys at work about this one and no one could agree on the answer. I have already contacted the Co's RCMP and the head of firearms canada a few months ago and they all gave me the same answer. Just wondering how many guys on here know...... Ill give this one some time before I give the answer.

Oh course it's legal Jesus how can anyone be so dumb what will you do when a Grizzly stands on the tent go to your safe
Dick Cameron