PDA

View Full Version : Plug Needed in Shotgun??

PGKris
02-22-2006, 04:02 PM
OK here's a question that everyone has a different answer for. Most say yes, some say no. I thought I would put it to you all.
I just got my Remington 870 Wingmaster in .410cal. Without the plug, it holds 4 shells in the tube and 1 in the chamber. With the plug, it holds 2 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. My question is this:
When I am hunting UPLAND BIRDS do I need to have the plug in??
I am of the understanding that the plug only needs to be in when I'm hunting MIGRATORY WATERFOWL where you are restricted to having 3 shells in the gun. Is this wrong? Do I have to put the plug in? A .410 is obviously not a duck or goose gun. I can't seems to find an answer in the regs. Hoping someone can help me out here. Thanks
KRIS

CanAm500
02-22-2006, 04:12 PM
The law states that a shotgun can not hold more then 3 (2 in mag 1 in chamber). It should say somewere in the firearm laws.

Steeleco
02-22-2006, 04:24 PM
The law states that a shotgun can not hold more then 3 (2 in mag 1 in chamber). It should say somewere in the firearm laws.

Is that the law or the hunting regs??, when I carry my Mossy 500 it's full, no plug, if I need to shoot something that thinks I'm lunch 3 isn't enough.

I can't see why in a 410 you'd be limited to 3 when my 10-22 that I use for grouse carries at least 10 :confused::confused:

PGKris
02-22-2006, 04:33 PM
There is a federal migratory waterfowl act that limits hunters to 3 in the gun when hunting waterfowl but I am unclear on upland birds.

Boo
02-22-2006, 04:38 PM
In BC while hunting ANY game - waterfowl, upland or big game - your shotgun must be plugged to hold a maximum of 2 shells in the magazine.

PGKris
02-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Boo, no offense, but I want to read it somewhere. I don't want it quoted to me.

Boo
02-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Boo, no offense, but I want to read it somewhere. I don't want it quoted to me.

No offence but don't you ever read the regulations? :roll:

Page 17

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/documents/h&t_synopsis_05_06.pdf

PGKris
02-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Well that about covers it then don't it? Thanks. I dont know how I missed that. I looked 5 or 6 times in the regs.

boxhitch
02-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I dont know how I missed that. I looked 5 or 6 times in the regs
Thats the prob right there. Its all there in black and white.......somewhere...

CanAm500
02-22-2006, 08:05 PM
And this is why all shotguns will have plugs in them. All of our shotguns that we bought had a plug in the magazine.

Steeleco
02-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Mine's a short piece of wooden dowl, now where did I put it :?::biggrin::?:

PGKris
02-22-2006, 10:11 PM
LMAO! It came with the gun but I have to put it in still. Thanks

Gateholio
02-22-2006, 11:40 PM
2 things should be noted:

#1 At the last BCWF there was a resolution to make it so that UNLESS you are hunting birds, the plug laws should be relaxed (ie if you were hunting deer with a shotgun, you could fill p your magazine) DOnt know if that has become a lwa, though

#2 If you are carrying your shotgun for DEFENSE, like against bears...you don't need to follow the mag restrictions.

rollingrock
02-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Mine's a short piece of wooden dowl, now where did I put it :?::biggrin::?:

A chopstick could do.:mrgreen:

PGKris
02-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Yeah I know about that resolution Gatehouse but I don't know if it is law yet or not. Next year's regs will tell. They passed it, if I remember correctly, that the # of shells in the magazine be unrestricted when hunting upland birds/big game. Cant really remember that WAS last year after all. No consequence. 3 shots or 5, I'm still gonna down a lot of birds with this gun!

Walksalot
02-23-2006, 07:02 AM
By the wording in the regs, if one is using it for protection, one can remove the plug and load it to the nuts.

partsman
02-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Funny little story when I took my new to me Semi-auto shotgun to do some practise on clay pigeons out around ladner, I set up with my brother and proceeded to shoot and along comes the game warden, and he wants to check our firearms, well that is when I realised it was not plugged, had not thought of it till that moment, oops.

Well I very nicely and safely eject the three shells I have put in it, and pull out my license and he appears satisfied and off he goes, then I tell my brother and he can't beleive it, he figured I was darn lucky they did not physically check for the plug.
I was lucky I was used to only putting in three at a time when shooting.

Ronforca
02-23-2006, 09:16 AM
I have had my shotgun checked a few times in the Fraser Valley.The Game Warden inserts a piece of wood or something into the tube where the shells go into under the barrel.If it goes in too far you are in trouble.

bearbait
02-23-2006, 10:29 AM
My question is if I put a rifled barrel (with sights) on my 870 is it still considered a shotgun or a rifle? and then would the rifle mag restrictions apply?:-?

Gateholio
02-23-2006, 11:42 AM
My question is if I put a rifled barrel (with sights) on my 870 is it still considered a shotgun or a rifle? and then would the rifle mag restrictions apply?:-?

There are no rifle magazine restictions for a pump action rifle.

if you are HUNTING with your rifled tube 879, I think you woudl still be technically illegal.

If you were not HUNTING, you would be legal.

Gateholio
02-23-2006, 11:43 AM
By the wording in the regs, if one is using it for protection, one can remove the plug and load it to the nuts.

yes. Read my previous post.:shock:

bearbait
02-23-2006, 12:19 PM
There are no rifle magazine restictions for a pump action rifle.

if you are HUNTING with your rifled tube 879, I think you woudl still be technically illegal.

If you were not HUNTING, you would be legal.

Thanks for the reply Gatehouse, I was thinking thatway myself. Just throwing it out there.. I know a shotgun is a shotgun, but hunting with a firearm set up to shoot a single projectile (IE. a slug gun), shooting only slugs, isn't much different than heading out with a rem. 760 or a lever gun. I guess the best thing to do is ask the guy with the final say, the CO, what he thinks.

Walksalot
02-23-2006, 01:05 PM
yes. Read my previous post.:shock:

Well that just confirms it don't it.:-)

Gateholio
02-23-2006, 01:14 PM
HAHAHH

I just re read your post. I thought you were asking a question...and thought...Didn't I just post that?:-P :grin: :shock: