PDA

View Full Version : Bird dog opinions wanted

model88
01-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Hey guys, have decided that I want to get a bird dog. Have been hunting pheasants in AB for the last few years with a couple of friends who have dogs. After seeing the pride that they take when the dogs do their job, I now want my own. Grew up with Brittanies and have owned a lab.

I have kinda narrowed it down between a Britt or a GSP. Any advice good or bad on either breed or maybe another breed that I should be looking at would be welcomed. As well as any breeders that you may have dealt with. Thanks

Blacktail
01-29-2010, 09:58 PM
I have owned both

Brits are great dogs more flushing than pointing

There is nothing like a good trained GSP
eager to please...lots of energy ( be prepared :wink: ) ....most have hot noses....and will hunt forever until you tell them not too.

If you are wanting a dog that you might want for water work the GSP can be hit and miss on wanting to enter the water (mine always did) and you might want a dog that will weather the cold a little better.

Barring that my preference would be the GSP over the Brit for pheasant and quail or even good grouse hunting

If you are hunting in a lot of colder weather or wet weather you could even go with a wirehair pointer or get a good cover for your dog.In colder weather hunting remeber they will also need to fed more to compensate for the higher activity level and calorie burn

dutchie
01-29-2010, 10:36 PM
I got me a DK...

It is the German GSP.

Less energy, more controlable and the breeding standards are unreal. If you ever want to meet my pup, you are more then welcome to PM me and you will see what he is like.

THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GSP AND THE DK!!!

Dutchie

LOC
01-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Can't go wrong with a good Brit or GSP/DK. Brit's do tend to be more flushing than pointing dogs, but they can be trained to point.

Either breed you choose find a good breeder and you'll be set.

dutchie
01-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Either breed you choose find a good breeder and you'll be set.

well said... do lots of rearch, phone LOTS AND LOTS of breeders and have set questions for them... the good breeders will question you on the reasons you want this breed. Some of them may even try to sway you away from the breed to see what your real intentions are.

Dutchie

garyp
01-31-2010, 07:57 PM
I hunted my GSP's in the Brooks, AB area for years. They were fine in temps to about minus 10 C. Never had a GSP that didn't like water. I hunted with a guy with a Britt. I preferred my pointer for energy, durability and personal bias.

I have PM'd Dutchie and done a little research. I would agree that the DK breeding program is producing superior dogs. Expect to pay more for a dog with excellent breeding.

Few things are as marvelous as working a GSP to a rock steady point then dropping a rooster.

Good Luck

model88
01-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys, will be starting to do my research shortly and making phone calls. Still undecided which breed to go with, so will be calling breeders of both.

Next question, I am leaning towards a female, not for breeding purposes, but just from past experience, I like the temperment of a female dog better. SO, any opinions of male or female??

Kody94
01-31-2010, 08:19 PM
88, have you seen Flash's GWP?

LOC
01-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Neither my GSP or my Britt were females. My folks own a female CBR and she is stuborn as all heck, but that might be more from the breed than her sex :)

The female Britt's and GSP's I've seen work or at the park have been good dogs. I'd be worried about having a female if she wasn't fixed. I couldn't deal with having her come into heat...

dutchie
02-01-2010, 12:47 AM
I hunted my GSP's in the Brooks, AB area for years. They were fine in temps to about minus 10 C. Never had a GSP that didn't like water. I hunted with a guy with a Britt. I preferred my pointer for energy, durability and personal bias.

I have PM'd Dutchie and done a little research. I would agree that the DK breeding program is producing superior dogs. Expect to pay more for a dog with excellent breeding. The DK's that are marketed to NAVHDA sell for the $1700-$2000 range because that is what the NAVHDA guys pay. The guys in the NADKC, make almost nothing on each litter because it is not about the money for them... it is about the dogs and the breeding program. PLUS it is what makes them tick.

Few things are as marvelous as working a GSP to a rock steady point then dropping a rooster. AMEN!

Good Luck

My DK was $800, Angel's (depending on the breeder) will be in between $800 and $900.

I have never hunted pheasent but my pup on grouse gave me goose bumps when he was pointing grouse (when he figured out how much fun these birds are to hunt!). When you see how the dog works with you, there is nothing that can discribe that feeling, it is one of a kind!!!

I also do not think the sex of dog matters on the drive they have to hunt. The female dogs are usually a little smaller, but will hunt just as good as a male. There is no difference between the male and female for quality of hunting IMO.

Dutchie

1/2 slam
02-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Female English Pointer.....Elhew blood lines. I have 2 for upland. Great dogs. I wouldn't use them for waterfowl.

garyp
02-01-2010, 11:06 AM
My experience in females vs males as well as the experience of a few other GSP owners is pretty consistent. Males and females are the same in hunting ability. Males are slightly bigger. Having a huge female and a normal sized female I can say that smaller dogs are easier to transport etc. My smaller GSP and English pointer can run smoothly through dense bush whereas my mutant large female tends to be a road/trail hunter. Females are more eager to please and are more trainable. Some males can be pretty stubborn and figure they are out there to hunt for themselves.

Females are a problem if not fixed. They will always go into heat during hunting season (Murphy's law applies here)

My current models are all fixed females.

model88
02-01-2010, 05:35 PM
88, have you seen Flash's GWP?

No I havent, might have to give him a call. Thanks SSSSter.