PDA

View Full Version : hardest shot/animal

nolan-sawka
01-29-2010, 04:50 PM
whats the hardest animal and or shot you have taken??

01-29-2010, 04:53 PM
hardest to kill moose, sometimes they just dont want to die.

hardest skill 3pt island blacktail

hardest physical mountain mulie

little moose
01-29-2010, 05:09 PM
my hunting partner shoot a white tail ,7mm hart shot . ran 50 yards where it ran out of blood .and went another 300yards on empty just to make the drag that much harder

MikeH
01-29-2010, 05:27 PM
moose can be hard to kill dropped some with one bullet others ran.

hillclimber
01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
i'll probably get a bit of flack for this but i took a headshot at a buck early seaon. he was just peeking over a hill and could just see his head from his eyes up. ya i missed the first shot but then i crested the hill and he was just standing on the other side and then he dropped with a neck shot

jml11
01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
hardest to kill moose, sometimes they just dont want to die.

Funny, I would have said the complete opposite, the bigger they are...the harder they fall...

I've shot 7 bull moose and not one took more than 2 steps after being hit, most dropped on the spot...guess i've been lucky . I certainly would have appreciated it if a couple could have ran a bit closer to the road though:-D.

I don't think any animal wants to die...I would be careful what people post on this topic, I could imagine some of the stories could be pretty barbaric which would only fuel the anti's that lurk on this site.

SHAKER
01-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Hardest to kill............ bears that already have a hole in them.
Hardest phisicaly........ Big Muley bucks\ Cougar
Hardest mentally........ Sheep, if you screw it up you'll never live it down from your friends.

betteroffishing
01-29-2010, 05:33 PM
my first kill was by no small measure my hardest. i took a fork deer with my 30-06 and for propably the first time with any meaning , i gave humble to my creator.

betteroffishing
01-29-2010, 05:34 PM
"humble thanks " i meant to say

showtimebc
01-29-2010, 05:37 PM
pound for pound i'd say mountain goat is the toughest to knock down.

moose2
01-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Of all the species I have hunted the hardest animal to kill was a big bull bison. It sucked up 3 200gr 300win mag. If it wasn,t for the frost flying off its hide when I hit it I would have thought I missed. Skinning showed all three were in the boiler room with 2 head shots to finish it.
MIKEhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/bison_1996.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=17867&ppuser=13763)

deeks1989
01-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Coyote at 695 yards on a frozen over lake.
My buddy ranged it at 450 I missed 2 times then figured out how high I had to shoot and wammy down he went!

bruin
01-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Hardest to kill= wounded bears, goats
Hardest physically= sheep
Hardest mentally= big muley buck or a big sheep

Steeleco
01-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Bears that would rather eat me than be eaten by me!!! I've had 2 like that, only one ended in a draw.

Gateholio
01-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Hardest shot was at a California Bighorn. I was 400 yards above him and I didn't hold rigth to compensate for the angle. Shot over him- twice. Worst part was that he jumped down into a little gulley and I thought I had nailed him, so stopped shooting.

Possibly worse was that I am entirely capable of making that shot, I just forgot to play it out in my head before I shot.

Definitely worse was that Gilmore witnessed it.

Oct 20, 2006. Last hour of the season...:icon_frow

Amphibious
01-29-2010, 06:08 PM

mountain goat.

Sitkaspruce
01-29-2010, 07:48 PM

mountain goat.

X2

In my opinion, the mt. goat is the hardest to kill. They have a tenacity to want to live and if you do not break their shoulders, they will jump off a cliff.

My hardest shot was my Rosie elk. Est. 400 + yards down hill. First shot right over his back, then I told myself to settle down and aim low, next shot dropped him and one more kept him there.

Toughest to hunt is the high country animals, the sheep and goats. You can be in the best physical condition, but if you are not mentally prepared for it, you will have a crappy hunt.

Cheers

SS

hardnocks
01-29-2010, 08:20 PM
toughest for me has been turkey with a bow.

Kody94
01-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Hardest animal for me was an elk that I shot 31 kms from my truck. Took 5 days for my buddy and I to pack it out (no horses).

gamehunter6o
01-29-2010, 09:01 PM
A walking red deer stag when your bullet didn't make contact because you shot a tree instead.:cry:

leadpillproductions
01-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Hardest to kill do far was an elk two years ago first shot threw the shoulders 250 gr lapua ran away like it wasnt hit . Tracked him down buddy poped him 2 inches from the first , one in the next from me again . Still had to hit him between the lookers 1000 grains of lead in total .

hunter#1_300
01-29-2010, 10:06 PM
elk for sure are the hardest to kill they defintly can take a smack exspecialy if you ad -40 degree weather and they dont leave a blood trail to track if you first shot isnt perfect and drops them.They dont go far if you neck shoot them tho. The goat i got last year was also a tuff animal hit it twice threw the engine room and had to give it one more in the neck befor it dropped

hunter1947
01-30-2010, 04:32 AM
I have to say the hardest shot was the 7x7 RME elk I took out at 500 yards one late evening in Oct ,I shot this elk in the chest he was facing straight on to me..

This elk then run over a cliff and died it was a hell hole to get this elk back up the cliff...

300rocknroll
01-30-2010, 09:04 AM
my vote is for those monarchs of the high peaks, mountain goats.

Moose Guide
01-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Elk, three shots through the lungs at 40 yds.(.338 wm-250 gr. np)He never even wobbled, ran about 60 yds and went down, all shots standing or walking!

Slee
01-30-2010, 11:56 AM
For me it was a west koots black bear. Hit it 3 times with my 300wby 180grn failsafe. I found one drop of blood 50yds from where I saw him last. I looked for 2 hours that night and couldnt find him. I came back the next day with my buddies hounds and looked for anouther 4 hours and never found the thing. I knew I hit him with all 3 shots because he droped 3 times and got up and ran after every one. last time I have shot failsafe.

elkdom
01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
For me it was a west koots black bear. Hit it 3 times with my 300wby 180grn failsafe. I found one drop of blood 50yds from where I saw him last. I looked for 2 hours that night and couldnt find him. I came back the next day with my buddies hounds and looked for anouther 4 hours and never found the thing. I knew I hit him with all 3 shots because he droped 3 times and got up and ran after every one. last time I have shot failsafe.

X2 on the "FailSafe" crappolla bullets,

a few years ago, shot a standing still Bull Moose at 200 yards, 3 shots with .338Win Mag with 225 grns "FailSafe crappolla bullets"

a 3 shot group forming a 3 inch triangle right in the shoulder blades, all 3 bullets, thru and thru's, no more damage than if they had been FMJ bullets:shock:

the moose just stood there!:? I finally put a shot in his head below his ear, that shot dumped him, Immediately!,
once I skinned him out, it was obvious, he was DEAD on his feet! from any of the first 3 shots, but there was no shock damage or tissue destruction other than tiny thru and thru holes,
never purchased FailSafe ammo again:evil:, used the rest for shooting yoties!

karlgotch
01-30-2010, 12:41 PM
I had a client on a grizzly one time, first shot 90 yards broadside with a 375 H&H dumped him, but he wouldn't stay down. 2 more solid hits from that H&H and the bear finally came for us. The younger guide that was with us ended up stopping hiim at about 20 yards with a good shot from a 458 WM.

All three hits from that 375 were through the boiler room and broke one shoulder. I was centering on his chest with my 338 Win Mag when I heard the 458 touch off, hit him in the hump and broke his back while he charged. Glad that young fellla could shoot

mark
01-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Shot wise.... 460 yards on a moose....took a few rounds to geterdun!

Packing out....was an alpine muley, when we were too young and dumb to debone.
We figured since we could see the truck at the bottom of the mountain, and it was all down hill, that just dragging would be easiest???? Nope!

Mentally....was exploring some new alpine turf this past summer.
The climb up and in was way tougher and farther than anticipated, the alpine was not as open as I figured. (made navigating tough)
I only packed enough water to get to a lake I had seen on GE, well I just barely made it to that lake at dark and was dam thirsty.
(considered turning back many times)
On top of that there was giant holes everywhere, where grizzly's had been digging out marmots, didnt sleep worth a dam!

Seen lots of big bucks so it was worth it! :-D

MacMtnHunter
02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
I would have to agree with showtime here...have killed two goats myself and been in on another two goat kills. They sure can pack the lead and are by far the toughest animal that I have ever killed. Just look at where they live...

Mountain Hunter
02-02-2010, 01:29 PM

I agree....shot one at 15 yards with 180 gr nosler partition and the bullet struck shoulder bone and never exited. The goat tipped over but we still had to restrain it from kicking itself off the cliff before it expired.

Kudu
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Toughest animal anywhere on the planet that I have come across has to be the blue wildebeest - it simply eats bullets and poops lead.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/Wildebeest.jpg

Smartest animal - has to be the Greater Kudu, try walking and stalking one in the bush....... Then try and do it with a bow

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/52inchKudu.jpg

The hardest animal I ever killed tho' was the Cape Buffalo with a bow, kill it or it will kill you - simple

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/Dahgabow.jpg

Darksith
02-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Toughest animal anywhere on the planet that I have come across has to be the blue wildebeest - it simply eats bullets and poops lead.

Smartest animal - has to be the Greater Kudu, try walking and stalking one in the bush....... Then try and do it with a bow

The hardest animal I ever killed tho' was the Cape Buffalo with a bow, kill it or it will kill you - simple

This is a hunting bc forum isn't it? I hope none of you worldly hunters are complaining about guides in BC.

Dropped a moose twice this year and it got up both times and then walked into the bush.

Kudu
02-02-2010, 05:06 PM
[/center]

This is a hunting bc forum isn't it? I hope none of you worldly hunters are complaining about guides in BC.

Dropped a moose twice this year and it got up both times and then walked into the bush.

Complain about BC guides - Me? - never!

The reason I posted what I did? - simple - the world is a hell of a lot bigger than BC - Just look around you eh?

Blinkers perhaps........

Or has this board now become a BC only board?

Where exactly did Nolan-sakwa say BC only animals - am I blind or did I miss something?

Bow Walker
02-02-2010, 05:49 PM
[/center]

Relax puppy, no need to get yer knickers inna knot...:wink:

There is a big, world-wide hunting community out there ya know. Yes, this is a BC hunting forum but our membership isn't just restricted to BC. http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sHa_thumb3.gif

timbermilton
02-02-2010, 06:12 PM
hardest animal i have ever taken was a black bear down in washington state, 6 years ago. i was up hunting in the hills above baker lake. heard a bunch of shooting over the ridge, so i went and had a look see and found 3 guys shooting over the bank down in the (old)clearcut. heard them talking bout how they aint going after it, it was to far. they left before i made it to them. i heard the dang thing down the hill about 3ooyds. so i started stalking looking for it. (eats me up when guys wound them and leave them) anywho, i got to within 150yds of wear it was making noise and realized i hadn't seen this thing and dont know how big it is. so i sat on a stump and waited about 4 min.(half a cigarette) when he came walking-ish out. i popped him from 140yds with my .444 marlin. 1 shot. then i drug him for 5 hours back to the road and got the truck. when i skinned him out there were 8 holes in him plus the head shot i made. toughest to shoot, mental and physical for me. all on one animal.

pescado
02-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Goats seem to be the hardest to lay down, there just tough.

Bugle M In
02-02-2010, 09:07 PM
In North America, pound for pound....a goat!

Told by a few old timers, once you shoot at a goat, don't watch, just reload and fire again.

Seabass
02-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Racoon. It took one shot from a 45/70, (I could have missed the first shot?) then it charged, then took another bullet 10feet away stopping him. Tough little rascal.

gibblewabble
02-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Wolverine back when I was 15, we had a trapline just north of Tweedsmuir Park, dad has his line and I had mine to check and I had caught a wolverine in a leghold I had put out beside a connabear (didn't want to pack it all the way down the hill). The wolverine had eaten the backside of the critter in the connabear and then got stuck himself and man was it pi$$ed, soaked up 7, 22 short hollow points to the neck from about 30 feet before I sat down and had a cup of hot chocolate and watched it die. Had a bit of sewing to do that night but luckily no through and through's. Those are tough little buggers, especially when they can put the run on a bear. That is one of those memories burned forever into the mind.

Ddog
02-03-2010, 10:20 AM
[/CENTER]

What? thats kinda weird, the question was simple and it asks what was the toughest or hardest shot ANIMAL, not just in BC.
Umm,,yes this is a hunting BC forum , what does that have to do with anything?

Anyways,,,,,those are some good looking animals Kudu, and good going with a bow to boot.

I have not any input on which was the hardest for me, i have taken deer (WT, BT and mulies) 3 bear and 2 elk and a number of coyotes with my bow and all seem to have died when they were supposed to, however i did take a 6x5 Wt at 5 yards from a treestand and he went about 150 yards uphill before he expired, it was a double lung passthrough shot.

Darksith
02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
leave it to me to stir the pot! haha, just having some fun with ya. Its b/c Im jealous you know.

Kudu
02-03-2010, 01:04 PM
leave it to me to stir the pot! haha, just having some fun with ya. Its b/c Im jealous you know.

No worries mate - no offence taken, I should have realised you were just taking the mickey.

gamehunter6o
02-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Those African beasties are hard to drop from where I'm sitting.
It's a bloody long shot from NZ.:lol:

nolan-sawka
02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
keep em coming theres gotta be some more

BlacktailStalker
02-11-2010, 12:30 PM
I've seen a lot of "standing dead" elk that won't go down.

bighornbob
02-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Wolverine back when I was 15, we had a trapline just north of Tweedsmuir Park, dad has his line and I had mine to check and I had caught a wolverine in a leghold I had put out beside a connabear (didn't want to pack it all the way down the hill). The wolverine had eaten the backside of the critter in the connabear and then got stuck himself and man was it pi$$ed, soaked up 7, 22 short hollow points to the neck from about 30 feet before I sat down and had a cup of hot chocolate and watched it die. Had a bit of sewing to do that night but luckily no through and through's. Those are tough little buggers, especially when they can put the run on a bear. That is one of those memories burned forever into the mind.

I would say a goat for sure but my dad would agree with you. He dealt with one (and he said his last one) in the Yukon in the late 60's. It's a long story, but it was finally killed in his basement by him and a buddy using their knives while the thing was half skinned and hanging from the basement roof by a hind foot.:eek:

BHB

j270wsm
02-12-2010, 08:43 PM
3pt moose, sucked up 4 arrows ranging from 10-40yds.

I personally find goats easy to kill, all the kills I have been part of have been one shot kills.

The Hermit
02-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I was in grade 2 and cornered a big ugly river rat that I stoned to death... must have taken thirty rocks! That thing scared the hell outta me! lol