PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Gun Bearer

KodiakHntr
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Who uses one? And do you have any picturers of it in use, or close ups of it?
Likes, dislikes?

Kind of curious, thanks.

Gateholio
01-29-2010, 03:24 PM
I've got one. You have to play around wiht it to make sure your rifle is sitting well, but it's a system I like.

Bighorn hunter
01-29-2010, 03:32 PM
I have two of their packs. The spike camp and the long hunter guide. Didn't like it on the spike camp.I thinck the pack is to short to make it work well. Or it may have been me and didn't give it a quality try. Used it a fair bit on the long hunter and liked it. The only downside was the barrel is right there in you field of view. On the upside the barrel right there is a good stablalizer for your binos when glassing.

cheers
bh

KodiakHntr
01-29-2010, 03:37 PM
On the upside the barrel right there is a good stablalizer for your binos when glassing.

cheers
bh

There's a point I hadn't considered.

So, how does the barrel strap work? Quick release buckle? What does that strap hook to? The sternum strap?
Kifaru's website doesn't really show it very well at all.

Gateholio
01-29-2010, 03:57 PM
You attach the "holster" part to your hp belt, and the QR barrel strap to your shoulder strap.

KodiakHntr
01-29-2010, 04:05 PM
No real downside to them then Gate?

When you are using it have you pulled off the rifle sling completely and left it behind?

Thanks.

Devilbear
01-29-2010, 04:09 PM
There is another option, David, it is the "Gun Corral" TOPSTRAP assembly of their quite interesting system. I have GBs on pretty well all of my packs, far too many packs.... and, they do work quite well, when you get used to them and adjust them to suit your physique and basic hiking style.

I am probably the first guy to put them on MR packs, as I had among the very first of the NICE and other newer MRs shipped to Canada and, it is a "marriage made in heaven", WHEN you tune things right. Here is my system and it is as good or better than anything I have tried in 45+ years of packing guns in BC bush.

1. Universal waistbelt strap-LONG repeat LONG. DO NOT merely thread this through the Molle webbing on your waistbelt, NO MATTER WHAT some say as it WILL rip. Carefully wind it AROUND your entire waistbelt and snug it tight with the velcro.

2. Use the COMBAT gunbearer bottom, much stiffer and better for heavier rifles, remember that this was originally designed for Patrick's U/L rifles and the Combat version is more for sniper rifles, etc.

3. Install the Universal top strap and carry a spare in your pack somewhere as there are times when this really is the best method of carry, as in dense re-gen or Lodgepole or "Mariana".

4. Get an Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling and the Gun Corral top and put IT on the opposite shoulder strap to your K-topstrap and use it as you find convenient; this will unclip and ride in your pack until wanted, but, it is strong and keeps your rifle in front of you in bear country.

Just play with it in the bush a bit and you will find the adjustment best for you. It is a simple but very effective design and FAR better than "Safari" slings, "BooneyPackers" or those gawdam foam stretchy abortions that will give you a sore neck that will damm near cripple you for a week, if you pack a big gun on them.

Finally, get Gatehouse to pack out all your game, he never seems to mind and a few dozen beer keeps him happy!

Kody94
01-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I haven't figured out how to get accustomed to using the GB and hiking poles together. The butt of the rifle seems to always be in the way of the poles, unless your out in a field.

Gunner
01-29-2010, 04:18 PM
There is another option, David, it is the "Gun Corral" TOPSTRAP assembly of their quite interesting system. I have GBs on pretty well all of my packs, far too many packs.... and, they do work quite well, when you get used to them and adjust them to suit your physique and basic hiking style.

I am probably the first guy to put them on MR packs, as I had among the very first of the NICE and other newer MRs shipped to Canada and, it is a "marriage made in heaven", WHEN you tune things right. Here is my system and it is as good or better than anything I have tried in 45+ years of packing guns in BC bush.

1. Universal waistbelt strap-LONG repeat LONG. DO NOT merely thread this through the Molle webbing on your waistbelt, NO MATTER WHAT some say as it WILL rip. Carefully wind it AROUND your entire waistbelt and snug it tight with the velcro.

2. Use the COMBAT gunbearer bottom, much stiffer and better for heavier rifles, remember that this was originally designed for Patrick's U/L rifles and the Combat version is more for sniper rifles, etc.

3. Install the Universal top strap and carry a spare in your pack somewhere as there are times when this really is the best method of carry, as in dense re-gen or Lodgepole or "Mariana".

4. Get an Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling and the Gun Corral top and put IT on the opposite shoulder strap to your K-topstrap and use it as you find convenient; this will unclip and ride in your pack until wanted, but, it is strong and keeps your rifle in front of you in bear country.

Just play with it in the bush a bit and you will find the adjustment best for you. It is a simple but very effective design and FAR better than "Safari" slings, "BooneyPackers" or those gawdam foam stretchy abortions that will give you a sore neck that will damm near cripple you for a week, if you pack a big gun on them.

Finally, get Gatehouse to pack out all your game, he never seems to mind and a few dozen beer keeps him happy!Can't say it better than DB,I've used one for years.It took awhile to get it correctly adjusted,and I do carry a spare strap in my pack,but even on my Kifaru Day Hunter it is very solid and has never dropped my rifle. Gunner

Devilbear
01-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Geezuz, Chris, even I can do that!!! :)

What you want to do is to attach it further to the rear of your waistbelt and as HIGH as you comfortably can, then, you might want to use black cloth hockey tape to tighten it all up. I have always modded and tuned my packs and it does take time to get it "tickety-boo".

ALL of these recent, highend, heavyduty internal frame packs take serious "breakin" and getting used to, but, if you experiment, you will get it right....even a forester..... ;)

KodiakHntr
01-29-2010, 04:53 PM
I actually go by Dave, Mr Rie..., but you probably already knew that.......grin

Thanks for the tips though, I appreciate it. I'll check out the Gun Corral now.

Devilbear
02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Nope, but that's good and I have another suggestion for you and the others here who have or are contemplating getting MR NICE rigs.

I put various extra pockets from the Kifaru military production on all of my MR and original Dana Design-Bozeman/Baja packs and also from a company called "Brigade Quartermasters" in Georgia. These guys are not the sort of hokey little wannabe "black gun commandos" that Vancouver is now infested with, they are the real deal and very good to de business with. They offer a whack of different pockets of all types/sizes that can be adapted to your MR and make it just that little bit better in overall function.

You guys might want to "Google" them and see what they have. Again, it takes a little while to "tune" and "breakin" on the these NICE rigs, but, any pack that will allow an old phart like me to comfortably carry 100 lbs. has got to be a good one.

Tank
02-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I bought the Kifaru system last year and took it on one trip into the mountains. It takes a considerable amount of playing with to get a fit that is tolerable. The hands free/instant access aspect of the set up is great...but there is forever a barrel looming near your head....and during the inevitable slip or trip when climbing through crud going up the mountain the barrel has a nasty habit giving its owner a knock to the noggin.
My dad was with me on that trip, using the Eberlestock Dragonfly pack with the built in rifle sheath, which performed very well and seemed like a much better way to go...

KodiakHntr
02-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Tough to carry a dragonfly underneath a MR 6500 though.......grin