PDA

View Full Version : mule deer

bushpig slayer
01-29-2010, 01:36 PM
i have never gone for mulies before and i wanted to take my son and my old man out since he is getting pretty old now and has never hunted them either.it's not a honey hole search i was wondering where would be a good place to start.hopefully a place where you can take any buck.thanks for your help on a start to a new hunting year.

blindguy
01-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Clearwater is as good a place as any.lol

CanuckShooter
01-29-2010, 02:40 PM
If your serious...you could start by telling people where you live??? What sort of hunting are you thinking about?? backpacking in or roadhunting?? you need to provide more info to get good answers.:-D

Jelvis
01-29-2010, 04:42 PM
If I was a road warrior searching for any buck in October would be my pick, drive around Tunkwa Lake on the border of MU 3-18 and Mu 3-19, absolutely gorgeous country to see and you can see young bucks and antlerless deer, of both kinds, mostly mule deer. Close to Lower Mainland, good roads, and there is a Tunkwa Lake Resort for a good place to stop and chew the fat.
Lots of picturesque scenery along the many back roads, and can see deer anywhere, anytime if you got some horseshoes and some good eyes..
Jel -- good luck with your friends and family for some surreal mule deer hunting country..

01-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Where do you think you might want to go?
Do you have an idea about an area that interests you?
around Williams lake and Quesnel there is some good area, lots of roads and lakes.
Tisdale lake by Horsefly has lots of fish and a nice camp. And there is deer around there.
I'm sure you could muster up a nice buck or 2 and a bunch of birds for the kid. You would get to do a few things at this spot.

hillclimber
01-29-2010, 05:20 PM
if your son is under 18 take him hunting during the junior season's. if your in the lower mainland the closest place would be reg 3 and 8.

tell us where you are located and that will help

Deadshot
01-29-2010, 06:51 PM
If your serious...you could start by telling people where you live??? What sort of hunting are you thinking about?? backpacking in or roadhunting?? you need to provide more info to get good answers.:-D
X2. Also pick your spot & throw some doe draws into the mix. If you draw, it'll be a gimme.

hunter1947
01-30-2010, 04:38 AM
I have to agree with Jel on the regions he posted..

nano
01-31-2010, 11:45 AM
If I was a road warrior searching for any buck in October would be my pick, drive around Tunkwa Lake on the border of MU 3-18 and Mu 3-19, absolutely gorgeous country to see and you can see young bucks and antlerless deer, of both kinds, mostly mule deer. Close to Lower Mainland, good roads, and there is a Tunkwa Lake Resort for a good place to stop and chew the fat.
Lots of picturesque scenery along the many back roads, and can see deer anywhere, anytime if you got some horseshoes and some good eyes..
Jel -- good luck with your friends and family for some surreal mule deer hunting country..

please give more in site into this area.

Thanks

nano

bushpig slayer
01-31-2010, 08:59 PM
thanks guys for the info i come from van island it will be more of a drive due to the old man isn't in great shape for long walks.and my son is only 5 it's more to have the 3 generations out together,one last time before my dad can't go anymore.thanks again

.308win
01-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Check out what regions have an any Buck season in Oct. pick a region you would like to go to, in Oct. hit the mid elevation cuts and slopes, should be able to find a nice little Buck for your first Mulie!!! All the best on your journey!!

Perry

MuleyMadness
01-31-2010, 09:37 PM
Jelvis does have a good idea there...here is a link to their site. I also THINK there is a provincial campground there, but again I am not sure. Either way it's close enough to Kamloops, Savona, and Logan Lake that you could stay at any three of them and be okay. Myself if I was doing some road hunting I would hit Greenstone Mountain like every one else...they go there for a reason, and the reason is tons of game...and tons of people too, but road hunting can be that way. Also the Shuswap area has a lot of deer, particularly on the North side of the lake and up Seymour Arm....closer to you guys Princeton would probably where I would head as there is a good mix of WT, mulie, some elk, etc...if you're not picky just get out there and look around, mulies are everywhere in the south central interior, just more abundant in some places than others.

http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com/

mr eagle
02-01-2010, 04:11 PM
I took my 7 year old son, my dad, and his elderly friend hunting in November, and stayed at Tunkwa. We had a great time, folks were very friendly.

More importantly we shot a small whitetail buck, and saw a few more bucks that were either too elusive or were mulies that didnt have 4 points. Also saw 2 cow moose and a small bull moose. It was my sons first trip, and he cant wait to go back!

02-01-2010, 04:24 PM
If you are going to camp where i said earlier is great for kids and grampas.
my dad takes my great uncle there for birds. Lotsa fish good birds and deer. The grampa im sure just would love to be out and shoot a bird or 5 and watch his grandson catch a fish. There are were a number of deer there two years ago, But dont just go deer hunting.You should add some dexterity in it for the kid. Keep him going in the afternoon with a fish.

Jelvis
02-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Try Mckinney Creek Adventure Cottage near Rock Creek, first choice is best, it's got a good reputation already for a hunting friendly atmosphere and good hunting opportunity all a round with a nice place to stay..they advertise on the site here, you'll love the friendly place..give this a try for some hunting adventure with your family stay.. and relax, you'll have it all right at your finger tips..awesome place..that mckinney creek adventure cottage in beautiful bc
jElvi$ ..