PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Hunting Partner Search

alderwillow
01-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Hello there,

I've read the forum for a while but this is my first post. Like most of you, I am a lifelong and enthusiastic hunter. Like all of you, I dream of the outdoors and never wear out of talking about it.

I am 39 years old and in good shape. I don't drink/smoke/do drugs in hunting camp. The latter two I just don't do. I am not religious, but don't mind listening to someone who is. I am married, and have two very young children < 3 years old.

I have worked as an assistant guide for caribou, moose and dall sheep. I have also hunted myself for caribou, moose and black bear. I own some excellent equipment, wall tent, optics, etc.

I am looking for hunting partner who is willing to hold a Permit to Accompany for me because I am a Non Resident of BC. I am not looking to be a "client" in any way and I am not looking for a guide but I am willing to pay for transport services on a drop hunt.

My goal would be to do a hunt for a bighorn sheep.

I would be pleased to speak or meet if anyone is interested. I'll be in Vancouver at the end of Feb for 3 days on business and for the olympics so would be great to grab a beer and meet. I would be interested to talk about a spring black bear or another type of fall hunt if we wanted to kick the tires before we tried a bighorn. I'm pretty open to any suggestions.

Below are the specifics as they appear re Permit to Accompany in the regs in case you are interested.

Good hunting and thanks,

Dan

Big Game Accompanied Hunts

4A non-resident of BC who is a resident
of Canada or a Canadian citizen may be
accompanied by a resident of BC who holds
a Permit to Accompany. Only one Permit to
Accompany will be issued to a person in a
licence year.

4The BC resident applying for this permit
must be a Canadian citizen or permanent
resident of Canada who has held a BC
hunting licence and a big game species
licence for 3 of the 5 years preceding
application (or 2 of the 5 years preceding
application if the applicant has completed
C.O.R.E). This person must obtain
the required permit at least one month
prior to hunting. Applications for permits are
available at Service BC offices, the Permit &
Authorization Service Bureau, or electronically
from the MoE website: www.env.gov.
bc.ca/pasb/applications.html. (See
Wildlife Permits & Commercial Licences
article, page 63.)

4The non-residents must show the Permit to
Accompany or a copy indicating the name of
the permittee when purchasing their big game
species licences.

bigwhiteys
01-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the site! This topic has been brought up a few times and permits to accompany for sheep are very few and far between if any are issued out at all. They must be approved by the regional manager.

You would have a much better chance with the Black Bear I think...

Carl

Darksith
01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
good luck, make sure you don't mention alcohol...that ruffles some old turkeys feathers round here! Oh crap you already said the word beer! Run for the hills man, its not safe in these woods!

Blainer
01-29-2010, 10:53 AM
As bigwhitey indicated,I'm thinking sheep won't be an option with an Accompanied Hunt.

bighornbob
01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Welcome to the site. Unfortunately, although you have listed the regulations for the Rules to Accompany, they apply to sheep in the province. The rules dont specify that sheep are not allowed but you will not be granted one for sheep as its a sort of unwritten rule by the ministry. As Grizzly bears are all on draw, they are out too.

Bear, deer, moose, elk, caribou and even mountain goat are allowed in certain regions that have open season, but sheep is a definate no.

BHB

alderwillow
01-29-2010, 11:08 AM
I did not know, so thanks for getting me up to speed. Makes sense to me. Sheep and grizz are precious resources and I'd hold on to them pretty tight if I was a steward of them myself I guess.

No matter. I'd like to restate my goals then for any and all of the black bear, deer, moose, elk, caribou and mountain goat hunters out there.

thks for the speedy replies.

Moose Guide
01-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Welcome to the site. Unfortunately, although you have listed the regulations for the Rules to Accompany, they apply to sheep in the province. The rules dont specify that sheep are not allowed but you will not be granted one for sheep as its a sort of unwritten rule by the ministry. As Grizzly bears are all on draw, they are out too.

Bear, deer, moose, elk, caribou and even mountain goat are allowed in certain regions that have open season, but sheep is a definate no.

BHB

I had the local game warden see if he could find a way to get a permit for sheep and after a week of trying he said not a chance for either sheep or caribou! Who ever holds the permit must hunt with you (within yelling distance)

GoatGuy
01-29-2010, 04:38 PM
I had the local game warden see if he could find a way to get a permit for sheep and after a week of trying he said not a chance for either sheep or caribou! Who ever holds the permit must hunt with you (within yelling distance)

Only run into problems for a permit to accompany on Caribou in Region 5. Won't get into the details.