PDA

View Full Version : elk leh???????????

rocket
01-28-2010, 09:41 PM
so who's got a 7-20a draw anyone? I've got one still waiting for colder weather. anybody have any success or info on how it's going up there. I here there is lots of industrial going on.

moosehunter21
01-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Drilling is goin on everywhere! I know we are busy at work servicing the well sites... Weather isnt bad its -12 right now in FSJ.

MuleyMadness
01-28-2010, 10:12 PM
We were up there in early Jan just before the warm snap hit and we were successful. Not sure what you are expecting but until there is bitter cold and lots of snow, it's a very tough hunt, and even if it gets bone chilling out the animals are largely nocturnal, though of course if it gets cold enough with enough snow, they will have to feed a lot so it does really help. Your best bet is to talk to everybody you can find and see who knows where the animals are or who is having problems with them...most people want hunters there as they consider the elk vermin, and are as nice as can be, so just talk to everyone you meet and eventually you will be in the right spot.

3kills
01-28-2010, 10:18 PM
we were up there earlier in the month and were successful as well...we had a hard time locatin them though as they were pretty nocternal and not on the properties that we had permission on..go for drives inthe early mornin and see if u can spot them and then ask for permission

ARC
01-28-2010, 11:03 PM
I went up and got one the opening week of the LEH. The weather was warm for a couple days, but I still saw them out in the open at first and last light, although they were pretty skiddish.

hunter#1_300
01-28-2010, 11:05 PM
headin up there this weekend see if i can bag one. will post something once i get back

browningboy
01-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Heading up on the 10th and going to stay at hudson hope motel, so drop by for a rye!

3kills
01-29-2010, 08:02 AM
browningboy pm me

browningboy
01-29-2010, 08:05 AM
browningboy pm me

Done and done!:mrgreen:

xtremearchery
01-29-2010, 10:22 AM
so who's got a 7-20a draw anyone? I've got one still waiting for colder weather. anybody have any success or info on how it's going up there. I here there is lots of industrial going on.

My friend and I both have the draw. Just waiting on the weather. We're on standbye till them. I wana go now it get this over with!

KB90
01-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Some friends just got back. Shot their elk on their second day, 26th. They seen 150-200 elk. Couldn't find them first night but had no problems the second day.

xtremearchery
01-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Some friends just got back. Shot their elk on their second day, 26th. They seen 150-200 elk. Couldn't find them first night but had no problems the second day.

Where abouts where they? Going up in the next couple weeks.

rocket
01-29-2010, 09:20 PM
good to here there has been some success. I have been doing the trek from williams lake to hudson hope for about 5 years now. Was successful 4yrs in a row no luck last year, just couldn't get permission on the ranch next to the one we had permission on. Was very frustrating seeing 200 elk next door, had one good chance on another property but they spooked. Ah hence why they call it hunting. Waiting for some colder weather before I go. come on freeze baby freeze. I think I have a problem.:mrgreen:

MuleyMadness
01-29-2010, 11:07 PM
So where seems to be the consensus area for everyone on this hunt? We were in the Tomslake area, and while we saw enough elk to make us happy, we certainly weren't seeing any 100 or 200 animals a day...just wondering if there were areas where everyone consistently feels the odds are better than others, cause it's certainly a trip I would love to take again, as it takes the cabin fever edge off between the end of deer season and spring bear quite nicely, but it is a hell of a way to go for a shot at only one species.

MuleyMadness
01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Oh come on people, it's not a state secret or anything, no one is talking about that one perfect honey hole that's a day hike from the nearest road that holds trophy elk and trophy whities...we're talking about places where there are herds of 200 animals feeding on bales of hay..I'd tell if I knew, share the weath :P

3kills
01-30-2010, 04:03 PM
hudson hope is where i seen and heard of the most abount of elk when i was up there

MuleyMadness
01-30-2010, 05:36 PM
I plan on putting in for that hunt on a regular basis to tell you the truth...Like I said it's a great chance to get out when you wouldn't normally and almost without exception the people we met up there were the nicest I have ever come across. It's not the best hunting nor is it the most brag worthy, but hay and grain fed elk sure tastes fantastic.

rocket
01-30-2010, 09:19 PM
i usually head to chetwynd then hudson hope hiway to fsj farrell creek upper cache area. lots of door knocking and have to agree with you muley nicest people probably in the whole province, i think the old saying treat others as you wish to be treated goes a long way up there. That's why i put in for it every year, oh ya and the elk is awesome to. Can be a frustating hunt at times although also good way to hunt longer.