PDA

View Full Version : Backing for kings

amerikazmoswanted23
01-28-2010, 06:09 PM
I just got a 10 wt rod and a couple 10 wide arbor reels. I was planing on useing them for chinook. I thinking 200 yards of 20 pound backing do you think that'll work.

thunderheart
01-28-2010, 07:20 PM
by kings do you mean you are fishing in yankee land for thier "king" salmon or are you after canadian spring salmon aint no nookie like chinookie friend ..springs .. smilies .. tyee .. canada eh mes ami lol
as to gear .. a good stout trolling rod and knuckle buster reel works great .. killed a few springs with one .. one doesnt need fancy gear .. i like heavier main line with 20 lb test for the money end .. my preferance ....now if your moochin .. differant game for sure

amerikazmoswanted23
01-28-2010, 07:46 PM
trolling ? i'm talking taking them on a fly rod.

thunderheart
01-28-2010, 07:49 PM
ahhh sorry amw23
delete that infor .. all except the kings thing .. lol have fun

amerikazmoswanted23
01-28-2010, 07:55 PM
not a problem thunder as for kings and what not my name of choice is tyee but correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it only a tyee if it's over 30 pounds

Ddog
01-28-2010, 07:57 PM
yes,,tyee is 30lbs and up,,and americans call them king salmon,,here we call them chinook, or springs.

thunderheart
01-28-2010, 08:06 PM
yes,,tyee is 30lbs and up,,and americans call them king salmon,,here we call them chinook, or springs.

yep what Ddog said .. have fun

000buck
01-28-2010, 08:23 PM
I fish the nitnat and stamp with an 8/9 9 foot and 20 lb backing is more than sufficiant just remember what is on the other end is what counts fish for springs up to 40 lbs using a 12 lb mono leader That is the fuse between you and the fish. if you can't get a fish to co operate with you on the fly snap it off it s never worth killing a 40 lbs chiner who could do alot for genetics just for the sake of having a good time or bragging rights. I don't have too much trouble landing 30's so just have fun with the whole experiance but just remember that the fish is of primary concern... keep them well and strong for the last run.

amerikazmoswanted23
01-28-2010, 09:27 PM
thanks 000buck and i agree with you when it goes wrong to snap it off. As for bragging rights it's not about that for me. I have a couble things I want to do in my fishing life tyee on the fly, bone fish, I also have a family history of fishing atlantic salmon so catching one is a dream of mine.

Hank Hunter
01-28-2010, 09:31 PM
:mrgreen: Ask Gatehouse, he knows all about the king. We need dancing bananas here :wink:

000buck
01-29-2010, 08:00 AM
thanks 000buck and i agree with you when it goes wrong to snap it off. As for bragging rights it's not about that for me. I have a couble things I want to do in my fishing life tyee on the fly, bone fish, I also have a family history of fishing atlantic salmon so catching one is a dream of mine.

my little guy and his step dad come down from kamloops and fly for springs in some awesome waters with me. He caught a 23 last fall at 12 yo on the fly

Riverjet
01-31-2010, 06:23 PM

Unless you catch one in the Vedder then they're called "Sping's".:mrgreen:

SHACK
02-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I would opt to spend a little more and back up your reels with 30 pound gel spun. You will get a lot more on to your reel for playing out them large fish, and be able to get away with lighter tippet because you have some extra grace with backing length.

02-01-2010, 11:01 AM
i agree with 000
i fish with an 8weight i would love a 10 for the black mouths :) (sorry)
but fact is i cant. i use 12lb maxima in to 20lb backing, make sure your knot from backing to line is really good. For the most part you can tell befor your into your backing if you have a snowballs chance in hell of landing the fish, if you dont... pop it. But i try to do that as best i can befor the backing so i dont loose my line.
I fish coastal rivers that arent so huge. The fish mostly stay put.
if a fish does go for a line baker and you are gonna pop it back off your drag and let the currrent take your line past the fish, sometimes the reverse pressure will make the fish run back to you