PDA

View Full Version : An Elk to remember.

safarichris
01-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Several years ago, my dentist who charges way to much for a simple filling, asked me if I could help him acquire a nice Elk. I had some time on my hands and told him that I would, if he would lower the price on my next tooth. Ha.
I went up the Muskwa and backpacked up to the base of a mountain. There were many Elk whistling, they were everywhere. I went after his one particular Bull that had always eluded me. He was the one I wanted more than anything. I knew exactly where he was. He always had a large harem of cows but would never give me a good visual of his body. His rack was huge. I planed the stalk into the area perfect. The wind was in my favor and everything was going right. We made our approach into the area in the early morning while it was still dark. I built a blind and hunkered down. With big bulls like that, they know the game we play very well. I did not want to over do it with my bugle. We were now tucked away in a great blind and I gave him a toot on the whistle. He replied, immediately. Three or four other bulls also replied, I let the Bulls start their challenges amongst themselves and waited. If you over do it with a bugle, you turn off the Big Boys as they don’t want to leave the cows and come out to challenge anything. I got this big guy quite heated up and after about forty minutes he started to work his way towards us. I was shocked that he left his cows to challenge me. He had never done it in eight other attempts. I must have done it right this time, because here he came. I now saw the tips of his horns and more and more of his rack was exposed by the minute. The entire rack was now visible, but his body was not. He only had to move another twenty feet and he would expose himself entirely. In the final moments of what I thought was going to be a hunt to remember, I heard this crashing behind me, as if a steam roller was coming through the bush. I turned my head and saw about a six hundred pound grizzly totally focused on our blind. He thought we were an Elk and increased his speed towards us.
He was in mid air almost in our blind when I stood up and hollered while I waved my hands. This bear turned around in mid air and swapped ends in one stride. The Bull elk was gone and my dentist buddy was simply petrified. He was as white as a ghost. That was the one and only time that Elk ever gave me. My buddy trembled and was shook up for several days, he could not continue. He was happy to return to civilization intact.

WKCotts
01-28-2010, 12:41 PM
awesome story! did you get a deal on your next tooth? :confused:

yamadirt 426
01-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Great story. And I'm sure the dentist prices doubled after that. Thanks

safarichris
01-28-2010, 12:49 PM
awesome story! did you get a deal on your next tooth? :confused:
Nope, it would have been easier for me to get blood out of a grindstone.

elkrub
01-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Wow.....what a great Story!!!! I guess you had to go back to camp so your dentist could change HIS PANTS!! :lol::lol::lol:
elkrub

BimmerBob
01-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Now THAT would be nice to have on film, what an experience. I have goosebumps thinking about it and I am not sure if it is because of the elk or the grizzly...:-D

Thanks for sharing with us Chris.

Hombre
01-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Great story,and welcome back.

eaglesj
01-28-2010, 01:37 PM
...and you didn't even have to shoot the bear. Good work.

Caribou_lou
01-28-2010, 02:09 PM
No pictures of the bear Chris? But i'm sure there is a mental image you'll never forget. Can't say I ever want to experience something like that.

OutWest
01-28-2010, 04:03 PM
That's quite the experience!

elkdom
01-28-2010, 04:42 PM
good story, quite often people overlook that when they "make FOOD sounds"(IE;many,many elk steaks on the hoof) that they may be attracting someone from the very TOP of the food chain:shock:

that DAY, everyone was fortunate, the bull elk, the hunters and the BEAR,

NO BODY EATS !:cry: nobody gets hurt!:lol:

Tikka270wsm
01-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Great story! Too bad you didn't get this legendary bull but good that you got outta there without getting mauled.
Elk hunting... not for the faint at heart.

hunter1947
01-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Yes you always got to keep your eyes and ears open when calling in bull elk because lots of times Mr Griz will also be coming in to your calls.

I hope this scared your dentist enough on this trip so that he will respect what you did and cut his rates on your next dentist bill LOL...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif story of your ordeal and good luck next time you go to get some teeth work done ,Oya fantastic story http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

yama49
01-28-2010, 06:15 PM
great story, keep sharing them with us... thx

stones
01-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Great story,

crazy how the grizz could sneak up on you like that..

stones

mark
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Cool story, Ive called in black bears when bugling elk.... had them in at 20' and they didnt spook so easy, they seemed pretty certain that an elk was there!!!

gutpile
08-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Since elk season is coming up ,i thought i'd post this a good read
be carefull out there !

Rattler
08-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Yes, you have to have eyes in the back your head when calling for elk, especially if your all scented up...

Brew
08-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the story Chris. I sure enjoy them. Nice to see you back

Darksith
08-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Great story, you are good at this...any more?