PDA

View Full Version : Well, Another addition.....

Jimr
01-28-2010, 09:46 AM
PICTURE ADDED

Well its not a very long story, My fiance came home with a picture of her, and then ofcourse we went and seen her....and now ofcourse we now have another addition to the family ...here she is..." German Short-haired Pointer X Rotti.
She is 9 weeks, and already weighs 20lbs.
Any info anyone might have on GSHpointers, would be great.
They make good hunting dogs im told, She doesnt look rotti at all.. the father was pointer and thats her dominant breed it appears..

Thanks, her name is "Daisy".....:neutral:

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v22943/1224/103/n508891348_8539.jpg

squamishmiles
01-28-2010, 08:34 PM
very nice, looks like a great dog

deer nut
01-28-2010, 09:00 PM
I had a GSP cross - lived 14 1/2 years. When she was youg, she was the mosy hyper dog I have ever seen! They require a tonne of exercise and attention. Good dogs though - but mine never did socialize to other dogs well - always had to be the "Alpha bitch" even though she couldn't fight worth sh*t! I strongly recommend you socialize her early - and start training right away of course. We got mine from the pound when she was a year old & all the bad habits were already ingrained. She did chase of several bears over the years though & earned her keep!

Hope you have a good life together!

garyp
01-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I have 2 German Short Hairs and an English Pointer. Yep they need a lot of exercise. A bored or under exercised GSP can be a menace. I take mine for an hour off leash in the woods everyday. One of the reasons I have them is to get me off my butt. 30 minutes of excercise a day is a must.

To test for some pointer instinct, tie a bird wing (duck, goose, chicken, pheasant, etc) to a 6 feet piece of string and a broom handle or old fishing rod. A tattered rage will work instead of a wing. Have the dog chase it around in circles until tired. She should lock up on a point when the wing sits still. Be patient, this may take several attempts.

Good Luck

Jimr
01-28-2010, 09:53 PM
To test for some pointer instinct, tie a bird wing (duck, goose, chicken, pheasant, etc) to a 6 feet piece of string and a broom handle or old fishing rod. A tattered rage will work instead of a wing. Have the dog chase it around in circles until tired. She should lock up on a point when the wing sits still. Be patient, this may take several attempts.

EVEN at this young of age , will that work?...Thanks..

garyp
01-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Most GSP's will point at 8 weeks. Even if they don't point right away this is a great training and reinforcement for a puppy.

You may be dancing like a ballerina with your wing and stick for 15 or 20 minutes before you get something resembling a point. Then you will be a very proud daddy. I have spent hours and hours with this training exercise. It is used in later training for keeping the dog steady.

If the dog shows some potential I can recomend a couple of books on training pointers.

My dogs are 5, 4 and 3 years. They still love to chase and point at the wing!

Slime green cat
01-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Yup, my GSP pointed within days of bringing him home at 7 weeks .
It was a leaf blowing around the back yard that started it all :mrgreen:

Great dogs, stubborn, but smart . I regret not putting the time into mine and training him to hunt .... he has the idea, but isn't finely tuned enough to be effective for birds because he doesn't stay close enough .
But what a great family dog ... he is the most gentle dog you could ever ask for if you have kids . My son could take a bone right out of his mouth and he wouldn't bat an eye .
Lots of excercise, and keep her brain busy with lots of training and you will have a great dog :-D

Jimr
01-29-2010, 01:42 PM
I tried the rope thing with a big knotted rope on the end that was floppy...After about 15 minutes and me being very dizzy she attempted her first point at it...Until my Lab pup kicked in and picked it up and brought it back....They shall make a great pair iam Thinking...Ive already put a ton of hours into the lab " he sits, comes , Lays down, walks right at my leg when out walking , fetches and retrieves , (sometimes drops it when asked.)..still work in progress., and Is already used to guns, (Maybe too young for starting on the guns, but he was in my truck when i went out shooting and he didnt make a peep, so i opened the door with him on my seat and kept firing and he just gets a "Intrested look on his face" as to whats going on....

So far so good, I hope....any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Jimr
01-29-2010, 01:50 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs222.snc3/20979_305420606348_508891348_4594241_3354484_n.jpg
DAISY IS THE ONE WITH THE COLLAR ON...AND CACHE IS THE LAB "THE SMALLER OF THE 2."