PDA

View Full Version : Ravens in the Lower Mainland?

huntinnewbie
01-26-2010, 10:14 AM
I live in Aldergrove just north of the freeway. Lately we have had a pair of Ravens flying around the property. They are not crows, we have tons of them. Is this unusual as we have been here for just over 20 years and I have never seen them here before.

Gunner
01-26-2010, 10:26 AM
I 've seen lots when I lived on the North Shore.I also have seen them in Tsawwassen,although I believe they are foraging out from the mountains,could be the same thing in your area. Gunner

BiG Boar
01-26-2010, 10:30 AM
This means a major snow storm is coming. I would stock up on canned supplies.

Tanya
01-26-2010, 10:45 AM
See it here on the farm every now and then. No particular feed source or weather pattern seemed to have influenced it. Couple years ago there must have been 30 or 40 out over the back field for a few days and then the bulk of them disappeared. Dunno??

Pete
01-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Being conservative we probably have at leat a 100 or so on the ranch. we consider them flying vermin. They actually cause us more issues than coyotes. They are really tough on new born calves. The Ravens pick out the eyes or the soft pad on the bottom of the calves foot. The calf starves to death or now becomes an easy target for a coyote.

Gunner
01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Being conservative we probably have at leat a 100 or so on the ranch. we consider them flying vermin. They actually cause us more issues than coyotes. They are really tough on new born calves. The Ravens pick out the eyes or the soft pad on the bottom of the calves foot. The calf starves to death or now becomes an easy target for a coyote.If I'm hunting ducks or geese on private land I never pass up an opportunity at ravens or crows.The dairy farmers that give me permission to shoot don't like them for the same reasons. Gunner

Ddog
01-26-2010, 01:13 PM
So in short , the answer to your question is "NO" its not unusual, Ravens are everywhere just as crows are.

Pete
01-26-2010, 02:13 PM
If I'm hunting ducks or geese on private land I never pass up an opportunity at ravens or crows.The dairy farmers that give me permission to shoot don't like them for the same reasons. Gunner

There is no open season for Ravens in region 8 They can be taken under permit only.

Gunner
01-26-2010, 02:23 PM
There is no open season for Ravens in region 8 They can be taken under permit only.One of the farms I hunt has a permit,another is applying,and I'm careful to only waste crows on the non permit areas:mrgreen: Gunner

Pete
01-26-2010, 02:25 PM
One of the farms I hunt has a permit,another is applying,and I'm careful to only waste crows on the non permit areas:mrgreen: Gunner
Well done, have at it.

Gunner
01-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Oddly enough,I'm only 10 miles from the main valley which is loaded with crows and magpies and we are only just starting to see them locally.There's always been tons of ravens,and an educated guess would say that not all of the farmers bother with permits.Especially during calving.I get a lot of calls about dealing with coyotes during calving season,even though I've never heard of coyotes bothering calves in this area.The ranchers just don't like to have them around.The rest of the year they couldn't give a damn. Gunner