PDA

View Full Version : cool idea that light

mikethemilkman
01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
our group goes on our annual ek elk hunt in sept. my hunting partner and i were gettin close to 6x6 but could not seal the deal one evening we were glassing the same side hill when spotted said 6x6! but to our horror to hunters were on side hill bang down goes elk! my heart sank anyway dark wood soon be here as we were heading down mountain back to camp we noticed red light or beacon on that side hill so we stopped and watched then you could see flashlights heading toward that light! they used light to mark where elk was down and make easier to retrieve when it was dark! just thought that was helluva great idea! that light or one like that will be with us next year. thought would share a great tiphttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

gamehunter6o
01-25-2010, 11:03 AM
I assume you are talking about using a laser to mark where a animal went down at distance in ground cover. Never tried it.
I just stand two large sticks into the ground, 5m apart, in line with where your animal went down. when you get over to the downed animals area, just look back and when sticks line up, you search up and down that line.:idea:

wildprotien
01-25-2010, 11:33 AM
We used something similar this year, makes it easier to travel to and from the spot.
Of course other landmarks were observed in case the light failed.
- Good post, something so simple can help alot of people that may have not thought about doing this.

BuriedByTheDead
01-25-2010, 11:36 AM
something like a headlamp w/ the strobe light would work good...my friends used that when we were coming down a mountain at night (dumb dont ask) and were trying to see the cabin they got there first so they put up the strobe and we walked straight there np

landphil
01-25-2010, 11:53 AM
One of those little red led bike tail lights on strobe would work wonders, of course it could lead others to your prize as well.

MIL720
01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
GPS works good aswell....

FLHTCUI
01-25-2010, 12:32 PM
I assume you are talking about using a laser to mark where a animal went down at distance in ground cover. Never tried it.
I just stand two large sticks into the ground, 5m apart, in line with where your animal went down. when you get over to the downed animals area, just look back and when sticks line up, you search up and down that line.:idea:
Very Good Tip there gamehunter60.
Nothing like range markers to keep you ontrack !!!
Rob

hunter1947
01-25-2010, 03:03 PM
That would work alright but what if the light stopped flashing ???.

If you have a GPS it would be a good idea to mark the spot where the animal is with a GPS for back up..

hunter1947
01-25-2010, 03:05 PM

You NZladers are smarter then one could imagine :mrgreen:..

mikethemilkman
01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
we use gps as well and marking ribbon but thought just another trick to get to game BTW if you were in the timber at 230am getting your elk out like we were that light would help a whole lot cheershttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

bear buster
02-07-2010, 12:05 PM
you can get those red lights at wal mart,for about $10 they run on 2 aa batt,they have a steady on or flashing setting, they work wonders. we used them this fall, buddy got moose in overgrown log block, bent sappling over tied light to it and let sappling go, light was 10 feet in air, like I said works wonders. you can see them from quite a distance.

recoil
02-07-2010, 12:15 PM
http://grote.com/product.php?product_number=77912

Last 300 hours on two D cellls, you can see it from 360 degrees, they are about $45 and will work in the rain. PM me if you want one. They come in red or yellow.

Dirty
02-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I learned a very valuable lesson about properly marking a deer. Finally, after searching for what seemed like an hour, I lucked upon where I shot from and directed the flashlights to the right spot.

Sometimes you can shoot an animal well before dark, but the amount of time required to get help makes it very dark when you get back. Often, when the adrenaline is rushing, and you are ecstatic about your kill you will forget to do the simplest things. In this case, I put my red sweatshirt on it, but that was no good in the dark. Now, I always carry my GPS (no good in the truck), and surveyors tape. Throwing a little here or there helps mark you path as well and marking where you downed game. You can always do a huge "X" over the animal so if you stumble across the tape you can follow it to your animal. You can also reuse the tape if you are cheap like me.

dukester
02-07-2010, 03:44 PM
toss a glow stick into the trees works great also.

Ubertuber
02-07-2010, 10:45 PM
We use a glow sticks too, tie it to a springy sapling and you're good to go. They're small, dependable, and cheap.

hardnocks
02-07-2010, 11:03 PM
had an old timer tell me they put a glow stick on a kill . if they have to leave it overnite. keeps the grizzel bears off it.

02-08-2010, 02:09 PM
gps..........