PDA

View Full Version : Spring or Fall Black Bear?

Centerfire
01-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Ok, so I was just reading another black bear thread and that gave me an idea for a new poll. Let me know what you think. Do you prefer spring or fall black bear?

I'm hoping to bag my first blacky this spring.

-Centerfire

The Dawg
01-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Depends on what you are looking for...rug or food?

mcrae
01-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Depends on what you are looking for...rug or food?

That about sums it up. I take one in the spring and one in the fall.

Its hard to beat a black bear that has been feeding on huckelberries all summer as far as eating goes IMO.

MattW
01-24-2010, 02:21 PM
I took a very nice spring bear last year that gave me both a nice rug and very good eating. I'd just get them when I can. Spring bear season is a nice chance to get out when you otherwise might not.

22savage
01-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I like to hunt both the sping and fall bears . Spring bear is a chance to get out and do some scouting for new deer areas and to top up the freezer,and the fall bears that I get are corn fed and are great eating .

ydouask
01-24-2010, 05:27 PM
A Spring bear hide, barring rubs, is normally of better quality when it comes to the tanned hide for rug purposes. The reason for this lies in the amount of connective tissue under the hair follicles... there's more of it in Spring Bears. A Fall bear hide often has the hair follicles CUT in the tanning process when the skins are shaved, because the follicles are close to the surface ... the result is that those hairs will fall out over time. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a great Fall specimen... BB or GB.
Eating ? I'll pass, thank you.

Steeleco
01-24-2010, 05:35 PM
I like spring bears for hide and table. The chances of a quality hide in the spring is better but not guaranteed. But the meat tends to be leaner, less fat to deal with during the cutting and wrapping process!!!

Magnumb
01-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Gotta love the spring season, it's a great chance to scout and just enjoy the outdoors. I hold out for a cinnamon each year so I haven't filled a tag in some time. As for the meat, I am lucky enough to have friends that enjoy it. I'll eat it but I'm not that big a fan.

leadpillproductions
01-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Spring bears are fun , I dont hunt them in the fall gets in the way of all the other animals .But wont pass a gooder up

riflebuilder
01-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Spring cause it gives me something to hunt

303Brit
01-24-2010, 07:09 PM
I intend to take one of each this year. I like my berry bears, and so does the family.

Kirby
01-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Spring. I find they are better tasting, however a fall black bear fresh off the berry patch is hard to beat.

Kirby

cavebear
01-24-2010, 08:03 PM
i always take my bear in the spring, great meat and if you get high enough the rugs are great. I save one tag for the mainland in case i ever see a color phase :-Dthat isnt with cubs:(

Crazy.kayaker
01-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Pepperoni and Onion Garlic breakfast sausage and jerky...ohhhh yummy I took a spring bear last year this year I'm gonna go for one in each season...I have no experience with fall bears but the spring bears are nice and lean and make cutting and wrapping very easy to do.

martyonthewater
01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
I like the spring hunt a lot, great excuse to get out, leaner meat and usually a better hide. That doesn't mean I'll pass up the right bear in the fall though. Can't say I've noticed any difference in taste .

outdoorsman812
01-25-2010, 05:24 PM
I shoot one in the spring and one in the fall, like others have said its nice to get out in the spring and hunt. I would go crazy if i couldn't hunt in the spring!

Tikka270wsm
01-25-2010, 06:50 PM
I prefer spring bear hunting to fall because the days are getting longer, not shorter, and because the depression of the winter is gone by this point. Deer hunting and salmon fishing consumes me in the fall and I always feel that if I shoot a bear in the fall, that is time lost deer hunting.

This year I have no choice though. First kid coming in May so the rifle will be in the safe till the fall. Hopefully I can earn enough "Brownie Points before the rut".

300win
01-25-2010, 07:06 PM
I hunt them mainly for food, usually less fatty in the spring!!!

303Brit
01-25-2010, 11:08 PM
I prefer spring bear hunting to fall because the days are getting longer, not shorter, and because the depression of the winter is gone by this point. Deer hunting and salmon fishing consumes me in the fall and I always feel that if I shoot a bear in the fall, that is time lost deer hunting.

This year I have no choice though. First kid coming in May so the rifle will be in the safe till the fall. Hopefully I can earn enough "Brownie Points before the rut".

I took my parental leave from Sept-today, so I would have more time to hunt and fish :tongue: Hopefully by the fall you will have the newborn on a good routine. The youngest was born in March, so by the fall she was on a pretty good routine.

Jordo
01-25-2010, 11:17 PM
The chance to get out in the spring and hunt after a long winter is great. If I bag a bear great, if not, its a chance to see some new areas for the fall. As far as the meat, I mix mine with deer for sausage and brats, so it dont matter. I love the rush of hunting bears.....It sure gets the blood pumping. I am hooked! I cant wait!

Shooter
01-25-2010, 11:21 PM
I put a vote in for spring bear just because there is nothing else to hunt then and I am usually chomping at the bit to get out there.

Mr. Dean
01-26-2010, 01:24 AM
As they say; You are what you eat and every bear out there in the spring, NEEDS to feed on veggies.

Just like a beef cow. :rolleyes: