PDA

View Full Version : Taxidermist

limit time
01-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Hey guys, is there a taxidermist you guys would recommend for waterfowl(lower mainland)? What sort of prices am i looking at and how should I prepare it?
Thanks
pics would be Greta if you have one:-D

Marc
01-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I can tell you who not to send it to in a PM unless you want your bird looking like this guy.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv191/huntingbc/closeup.jpg

la river
01-23-2010, 10:53 PM
LOL ...WTF!
What did you say to him???

Marc
01-23-2010, 10:58 PM
I didn't pick it up, I had a friend drop it off to get done as he was having one of his done as well. When he picked up the birds and told the guy he wasn't pleased at all with the outcome of the birds, and these birds where in great shape, the taxidermist said that it was the best that he could do.

heyblast
01-24-2010, 12:45 AM
What is that ?

Marc
01-24-2010, 12:48 AM
What is that ?

It used to be a 3 curl drake mallard

kastles
01-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Looks like a bird that has been in the bottom of my bag under the deeks for the hike out. That or mange is starting to hit the bird populations

Mr. Dean
01-25-2010, 11:17 AM
I can tell you who not to send it to in a PM unless you want your bird looking like this guy.

I'll take that PM!

Gunner
01-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Check out Frank at Fur & Feathers in Surrey.He's done over 20 ducks and geese for me as well as various grouse and a couple of owls.I have been more than happy with his work.Whichever taxidermist you choose,look through his showroom first before making a choice.Good luck,Gunner

Ian F.
01-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Do some searching on Frank Newmeyer and Shane Smith, and others at that level, they are the best there is. Look at the mounts they do and the prices they charge and then you'll have something to judge by.

Crazy_Farmer
01-25-2010, 05:19 PM
You know we had this conservation Ian but I'd love to see a guy who does Shane Smith quality for the same price he charges 300 bucks. Not very likely gonna happen, I wish it wasnt so. Somehow up here you get charged more money for less of a job.

Ian F.
01-25-2010, 06:55 PM
for me, I'd take the trip across the line, do the paperwork and ship it to him or others like him. Northwest wings you could drive too. $300 us for top of the line, plue shipping for something you are going to have for a very long time, compared to the same price up here for crap?

People need to be informed, whether they are the purchaser of services or the providers of services and thats where my post came from. Hell, I bet it wouldn't be that hard to ship direct if you had all the paperwork in order! Whathisname in Van is out of line, something like $500 or $700, yeah he does nice stuff, won a comp or two but way out of industry norms

There's a 1/2 dozen or so bird taxidermist all in the same price range and quality, but as you know they are all in the U.S.

Ian

Crazy_Farmer
01-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Yeppers. I've been told to just ship it at the slowest 2 day. On either a monday or tuesday and it should be fine. I would pick them up as its easier on shipping not having to crate them up and fill them with wrap and filler.

But the only thing holding me back is possibly the forms holding them up at the border. I've got 4 birds ready to go in the freezer but dont want to send them to anyone up here and little bit unsure about shipping it from here with forms on it to the states, I think it may get held up at the border and since they'd have to be frozen in a makeshift cooler wrapped in plastic and filled with newspaper who knows how long they'll last.

Ian F.
01-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Last time I took some birds south I was back east, had to stop at the US customs and fill out a form. Make sure you have both your migratory and BC license. Took about 15 mins.

Give both borders a call and find out, probably just a bit of time. If you have all the contact info, species etc shouldn't be an issue. Really no different then a yank taking birds home.

Ian

BiG Boar
01-25-2010, 08:02 PM

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv191/huntingbc/closeup.jpg

Looks like a duck to me...kinda.:icon_frow

Man, a guy doing work like that should definitley quit his day job. That is so ugly. I want to know who did that just so I dont ever go there. Please send a PM my way Marc.

mattchu_19
01-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Shane Smith's shop is a certified port for shipping birds. So there is no problem sending him birds from here.

Crazy_Farmer
01-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Matt that has to do with shipping animals from countries where there is a higher chance of certain diseases.

"Game birds and waterfowl that are being imported as trophies must be sent to a taxidermy facility that has been approved by the USDA's Veterinary Services. A list of approved taxidermists (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads/apm_pdf/app_e_approvedestab.pdf) in a particular state can be obtained from the Animal Products Staff, National Center for Import-Export telephone (301) 734-3277. Untaxidermied game trophies must meet these (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/downloads/import_rum_trophy.pdf) guidelines (exceptions are listed.)"

His shop is on the list, Pats isnt, just has to do with what you can recieve and from where. Form 3-177 is what US residents need to fill out when coming back from canada with birds, and most likely the same form you'd need to fill in to send a bird south.

fowl language
01-26-2010, 08:12 AM
x2, what gunner said. very happy with his work....fowl