PDA

View Full Version : Instinctive vs Sights

Magnumb
01-22-2010, 09:38 AM
I have a Martin recurve that I really enjoy shooting but I can't seem to get the consistancy I want. I find that come hunting season I just go back to my comfortable compound because I feel more confident with the sights. I practice with both but I would like to feel more confident with the recurve. Anchor points feel consistant, release feels smooth (although I've caught myself dropping the bow to watch the shot a few times). Any tips? Does anyone have any advice for sights for a recurve?
Thanks,
magnumb

Bow Walker
01-22-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm finding that Traditional shooting (or instinctive) is all about form, anchor. Once those are ingrained into your hard drive then it's a matter of practicing. A lot.

I don't know how you do your instinctive aiming, but I just try to stare a hole into my intended POI and then let my (old and dirty) mind take over. I find that my best results (as far as accuracy are concerned) happen when I don't over-think it and just et it happen.

How 'bout those Canucks, eh?

greybark
01-22-2010, 11:10 AM
:-D Hey Magnumb , Do you attend any 3-d events with your recurve ?
Cheers

Onesock
01-22-2010, 11:13 AM
You should get rid of the compound then you will not have it to fall back on. Practise close range 10/15 yds with your recurve until you have no problem hitting what you are looking at and then move back from there. When hunting limit your shots to 15 yds. Being able to fall back on the compound may be holding you back from becoming better with your recurve.

Bow Walker
01-22-2010, 11:33 AM
I agree (somewhat) with Onesock. Having shot compound-only for a long time, I can relate to his opinion, but I'll never "get rid" of my compound(s).:-D

Everyone is different - but in my case, I'm finding that it is a whole different mind-set or way or style of shooting. For instance...I am used to gripping my compounds very lightly with my bow-hand.

By using this same grip on the traditional bow I find that when I release the string, the bow 'jumps' too much in my hand and this severely affects accuracy - not to mention that it causes the string to "slap" my forearm really hard.:redface:

The answer, for me, is to consciously review the 'mechanics' of the different shooting styles before you begin your practice sessions, and to consciously go through the applicable shot routine for either compound or traditional (which includes longbow, recurve, and stick bow) before drawing back to shoot. :confused:

It may sound confusing and/or complicated, but this exercise gets you into the right "shooting mode" for the bow that you're trying to shoot.:wink:

I do this, especially when I practice with my longbow, every time I pick up either bow. It really helps to get into the particular mind-set that is required to be able to shoot effectively. Notice I didn't say accurately?:tongue: Accuracy has to come with tons of practice - I'm not there, yet but I will be.

Magnumb
01-22-2010, 03:02 PM
greybark- I haven't yet but perhaps with a bit of consistancy in shooting I may down the road.

Onesock- I don't know if I could do that. There is a certain spot in my freezer that really likes the compound.:mrgreen:

Bow Walker- Good point about gripping the bow. I picked up the recurve and the compound and noticed the differance.
I have tried to follow the wisdom of Fred Asibel from his first book on instinctively finding point of aim and following thru on the shot. I can poke holes in a pie plate at 15 yards but can't seem to "tighten the groups".

Good tips ,thank you.

huntwriter
01-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Magnumb I am in the same shoes so to speak. I shoot a Bob Lee Custom takedown recurve for over ten years but I am still only confident out to 15 yards. At the beginning I made a lot of misstakes that I did not know about until I had another traditional bowman watch me shooting. As has been pointed out, sometimes these mistakes are minor but make all the difference the farther out you shoot. Have somebody watch you or failing that video tape yourself and then watch and analize.

The other thing I found important is practice time. A trad. pro told me once that to get good you have to shoot at least every two days preferably every day and if it is only two arrows. I do not have that time and only shoot my trad. bow ones every week or even every two weeks and I am sure that this is a big part why I am not getting much better at it. But like you I still have my backup - the workhorse - a compound bow and a crossbow to put meat in the frezzer and heads on the wall.:-D

hardnocks
01-22-2010, 08:10 PM
i think shooting is practace no matter what it is compound or trad . but i would suggest that you learn to aim using the gap methed then start instinctive shooting.

Coyote
01-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Magnumb what is the draw weight on your recurve?

'yote

MOOSE MILK
01-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Practice, practice, practice, shoot til you don't think about it any more, don't stand there admiring your stance, just look at yer target, draw, release, one smooth fluid motion.
Hard to go from shootin' sights to instinctive. I started out shootin' instinctive for years then for some reason went to sights, sure had a hard time going back to bare bow.

Bow Walker
01-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't find it a particularly "hard time", I find it "challenging" and interesting. It's another aspect - or skill - about archery that I find "fun" to explore and to develop.

I know we all have "fun" when we shoot, be it practice or hunting. I'd like to get to the point where I just automatically go into "killer" mode - no matter which bow I pick up. I want each style of shooting/aiming to become "instinctive".

I'm already there with the compound equipment. I just need more time (and lots of practice) to get there with the longbow. I also know that the longbow will take continual practice to keep those newly acquired skill-sets from fading. But that's (again) most of the fun about Traditional archery.

greybark
01-23-2010, 01:49 PM
:wink: Hey Magnumb , You got it right . Use your compound now and "dink" around with the recurve . Enjoy and improve with both bows .
:wink: As BW posts Form is the prime function for Trad shooting and the nice thing about that is each of us can vary Form to our particular Phychics and physical attributes . (you own style).
Even with the rudements of form you have to teach your brain with the different points of arrow impact at various ranges . Fortunately this is an easy way to do this .
:mrgreen: Inspite of claims of Trad archers seeing only the SPOT , all of us see that spot but also a peripheral arrow pointing in the general direction of the target . HOWARD HILL often said he used a combination of Spot consentration and the tip of his Peripheral arrow for his legendary skills .
:wink: I suggest that you place a vertical strip of Black tape (electricans tape) line on your target . In the center place a 8 in cross tape .
From 20 yds practise until your groups (dont worry about inconsistant groups) average around that now your MIND can establish a mental 20 yd sight pin . To hit that mark you will become aware of the tip of your Peripheral arrow is 12 -18 in below your cross tape and a cross tape at that point will be the mental hold for 20 yds . Carry on for 30 yds (your limit ) or for a fun 40 cross tape .
For 30 yds the tip of that (transparent) arrow will rise up to compensate for the arrows arc and will be close to the the center (first tape) and is known as your POINT ON distance .
:confused: Dont be confused by the point of aim (20 yds) being below the bullseye as this is caused by the upward arrow angle from your anchour point being 2-3 inches below your line of sight . The pronounced arc if the arrow will take care of this ...
:wink: After a bit of practise your mind now knows the NATURAL SIGHT PINS hold for these distances . Stick to the above 10 yd markers and in surprisingly short time you will adapt to 5 yd MIND markers .
:tongue: Hope I did`nt confuse you as much as typing this did to me !!!!!!!!!

Bow Walker
01-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Great post greybark! Excellent way to practice. That vague arrow is always in the sight picture and your mind will always use it as a reference point. I think that this is what "they" mean by "Instinctive Shooting or Aiming"

Magnumb
01-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Coyote- I have a #55 Hatfield by Martin Archery

huntwriter- I am in roughly the same situation. Work schedule, kids and other commitments leaves me with about 3 sessions a week for shooting.

greybark- great advice! I hope to try your method out this week. I find especially with broadheads that I am very "aware" of the arrow tip and may be getting slightly distracted not understanding how that plays into my "finding a spot" to shoot at.

Bow Walker- I agree, even the frustrating days of working out the kinks in form and release, the experiance is worth it's weight in gold. Developing the good habits is my long term goal.

greybark
01-23-2010, 08:35 PM
:-D Hey Magnumb , Stick to field points for your trad shooting . It`s understandable that the braodheads are now distracting you . Your mind knows you are not compentent with field points and is wondering what kind of trouble you are going to get into with LETHAL broadheads:tongue:
:mrgreen: I appreciate your attitude and know you will do well.....
Cheers