PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Hunting

huntwriter
02-19-2006, 03:08 PM
With turkey hunting comming up in region 4, starting April 15 to May 15, I was wondering how many hunters from BC will take advantage of this new opportunity.

Over the years the North American wild turkey has become a true success story of wildlife restortation. Once almost exinct we have more turkeys today than ever before and they have spread to places, like Canada, where they traditionally never have been seen before. This success is all due to efforts of the NWTF (National Wild Turkey Federation) whos membership mainly is made up of hunters from all across North America, including yours truly.

Due to work overload I wont be able to got turkey hunting this spring here in Canada or in the USA. Since turkey hunting will be new to many members of this borad I have decided to answer you here any questions about this facinating bird and the most productive hunting strategies employed. In the hope that my many years experience in hunting this wily and highly intelligent critter will help you to get your spring gobbler this year.

Caution: Turkey hunting is very addictive, once you done it you are hooked for life.

moose hunter
02-19-2006, 03:28 PM
i hunt them on my property, we turned 20 loose we own about 90 acres of forest about 20 min out of town, some one has a house right on the front of the property, the forest has no fences but yet the turkeys choose to stick around and they have moved into the surrounding crown forest there is at least 200 there now after the 5 years we have been helping a bit:biggrin: but it works good and now every year 5 of them are taken soon they will be everywhere, they still count as domestic animals therefor we can take them, hopefully soon they will be everywhere in P.G, every year we release 5 toms and 10 hens

check out my picture gallery

mtnmax
02-19-2006, 03:32 PM
When I lived in Ontario (Barrie) about 15yrs ago I took a turkey hunting course but was unable to actually hunt them there. My family was relocated to BC.( dad was in the military ) I have been interested in finding out more about the turkies around here. Are they only in the Kootenys? What is most popular, gun or bow?

moose hunter
02-19-2006, 03:39 PM
for sure the 12 guage and by the way pg guys as soon as a hunter is out on a year ill let you all know

huntwriter
02-19-2006, 06:36 PM
i hunt them on my property, we turned 20 loose we own about 90 acres of forest about 20 min out of town, some one has a house right on the front of the property, the forest has no fences but yet the turkeys choose to stick around and they have moved into the surrounding crown forest there is at least 200 there now after the 5 years we have been helping a bit:biggrin: but it works good and now every year 5 of them are taken soon they will be everywhere, they still count as domestic animals therefor we can take them, hopefully soon they will be everywhere in P.G, every year we release 5 toms and 10 hens

check out my picture gallery

Moose hunter - I am very happy to hear what you do to aid turkey restoration, or introduction, in your area. Turkeys are by and large home buddies that's why they choose to "stick" around. A 5 to 10 ratio sounds just about right for an ideal breeding group of turkeys.
Turkeys multiply very fast if the weather conditions are right and predation low. Each hen can lay a clutch of 10 to 12 eggs, usually up to 30% of the poults will survive to adult hood which takes about 5 to 6 month.

Are you releasing wild turkeys breed in captivity or the wild inbreeds with domestic stock?

palmer
02-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Was out lookin for "horns" today and ran across maybe 100...in this group was about 15 large toms and plenty of "jakes" I heard two or three different groups calling....so the rut can't be far away....less than two months and the first open season here....this is the year for a hog...

sealevel
02-19-2006, 06:53 PM
My friend lives in winfield is trapping turkeys for relocating with the wild turkey fed. They are looking for places to put them they can`t release them on crown land it most be on private land if they walk onto crown land on there own thats great. Also i here rumers that most of reg.8 will be open for turkeys this spring anyone know about this.

palmer
02-19-2006, 06:55 PM
almost all of 8 is open apr 15-may15

mrdoog
02-19-2006, 06:59 PM
I have never tried it, but it's something I'm itching to try.
-which choke is best?
-best load
-what type of terrain to look for?
-best type of weather
any info is appreciated

huntwriter
02-19-2006, 07:04 PM
When I lived in Ontario (Barrie) about 15yrs ago I took a turkey hunting course but was unable to actually hunt them there. My family was relocated to BC.( dad was in the military ) I have been interested in finding out more about the turkies around here. Are they only in the Kootenys? What is most popular, gun or bow?

As of this moment I do not know where the wild turkey is populated in BC other than in the Kootenays and as we now know, thanks to Moose Hunter, in and arounf Prince Geroge. Which is about as far north as I think the turkey can go and still be successful in surviving.

Turkeys are hunted with a variety of weapons from the revolver to the small calibre rifels to black powder guns, bow and crossbow. But the most popular weapon and the best, in my opinion, is the 12 gauge shotgun chambered for 3 inch shells with a pellet size of #4 to #6. As for chokes it depends what the gun patterns. I have had guns which patterned very well with a full choke and went all high wire with a extra full turkey choke. You have to fire as many different load and choke combinations as possible until you arrive at a pattern dense enough to put at least 8 pellets in to the birds head (about a 5" circle) at 30 yards. Allways aim your shotgun right at the birds nogging not the chest or anywhere else. Turkeys are tough birds to kill and the head is the only place to shoot at with a firearm.

huntwriter
02-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Was out lookin for "horns" today and ran across maybe 100...in this group was about 15 large toms and plenty of "jakes" I heard two or three different groups calling....so the rut can't be far away....less than two months and the first open season here....this is the year for a hog...

You right palmer, but turkeys are always quit focal and a gobbler will gobble all year round but more in the breeding season. The struting phase will usually kick in full swing as soon the weather stays warm for about a week.

huntwriter
02-19-2006, 07:36 PM
I have never tried it, but it's something I'm itching to try.

-which choke is best?
Not every gun behaves the same with the same choke. It is best to try different chokes and loads with you gun and go with the one combinations which patterns well out to about 30 yards. Also try different shot sizes from #4 to #6. You want to arrive at a pattern which puts consistently about 8 to 10 pellets into a 5 inch circle at 30 yards.

-best load
There are many different loads but I have found that the 3" is plenty for every turkey. There are so called magnum loads of 3 1/3 inch, if you can stand the hard kick back go with them but it is really not needed. Bismuth, steel and lead are all used but the best still is and will be for quit some time lead shot. Like I said in another post, the turkey is one of the thougest animals to get on the ground and make it stay there. Once a turkey manages to get up it will fly away, even wehn mortally hurt, and you never will find it.

-what type of terrain to look for?
"Our Canadian" turkey belongs to the subspecies of the Merriams. This species is very adaptable and can survive very well in the mountains and open plains, but are best suited to scrub oak and the pine foothills. The Merriam is loosly migratory, they spend the summer in the higher country and in the winter they move to the lower elevations.
It is almost unviersally agreed that the Merriam is one of the nice looking subspecies of the turkeys, but they are smaller too than most other turkey species.

-best type of weather
Turkeys can be hunted in any weather and in places where they are hunted very heavily you will have more success hunting them when the weather is not nice. Turkeys, like all animals, soon figure out that most hunters are fair weather hunters. Of course if it is raining heavy or it is cold turkeys tend to move less than in a bright and sunny day. The best time to hunt is right after a heavy storm or rainfall or after it was very windy. It is at that time that the animals are most active searching for food. The same is true if a weather front moves in be ready to hunt about 8 hours before the weather arrives right up to the time when you see the first heavy rain clouds. If I can't make it eight hours before a weather front moves in, I will make sure that I am in the woods the very moment the last rain drop falls.

stanway
02-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Great info huntwriter!

What about decoys and calls?

johnes50
02-19-2006, 08:05 PM
My friend lives in winfield is trapping turkeys for relocating with the wild turkey fed. They are looking for places to put them they can`t release them on crown land it most be on private land if they walk onto crown land on there own thats great. Also i here rumers that most of reg.8 will be open for turkeys this spring anyone know about this.
Sounds like a lot of fun to hunt and tasty too! Be nice to have some relocated to the Island.

LOC
02-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Just a question, how does introducing turkey effect local birds (grouse ect.)?

huntwriter
02-19-2006, 08:38 PM

The NWTF releases turkeys mostly on private land because it is in a more controlled environment than on Crown Land where everybody and his uncle have access, also poachers. But sooner or later the turkey population will grow so big that they spill over onto Crown Land.

I haven't heard anything about region 8 having a spring turkey season this year, but at the rate the turkey spreads I would not be surprised if it happens and if not now then sure soon.

huntwriter
02-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Just a question, how does introducing turkey effect local birds (grouse ect.)?
From my experience turkey and gouse and similar game birds do not interfere much on each other. The patterns and behaviour of turkeys is different from grouse also turkeys are ground feeders like chicken. Unlike the grouse which preferes brushy land the turkey likes it open where it can see who is comming and going, turkeys are ground dwellers and only go into tree when they roost or if danger approaches. Pheasants have much more negative impact on grouse and such than the turkey.

huntwriter
02-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Great info huntwriter!

What about decoys and calls?

Thak you bubbajones, I am glad to be able to help you and others here as they have helped me too with information on hunting in BC.

You asked this question before in PM and so I am just pasting my answers from my PM to you in here.

As for the use of decoys here is my copy/pasted answer to you.

If you call turkeys a decoy is always a wise option. Because if a turkey comes to calling he fully expects to see something if he dosn't then he knows something is foul.
One or two hens and a jake is a very good set up. My personal favourite is one hen feeding and one hen I push the stake all the way in the ground so it looks like the hen is cowering down, then I place the jake in a slight angle behind that hen so it looks like he wants to mount her. Any big old tom coming in and seeing that will turn purple and run to the jake and forget all about the hunters.

If you only have one decoy make it a hen.

Having said that, I never ever would use any decoys whatsoever if I know that other hunters are around. Using decoys on Crown Land where there are other hunters is a sure way to get you killed.

And that is what I had to say about turkey calling.

My advice, from years of experience, the simpler the better. Mouth calls are good if they are used properly. I can't use them right and it takes me to long to learn it so I stick to something simple, which is a box call, a waterproof glass slate call and a push and pull button call. The later I use to bring the turkey closer when I am ready with my gun in the hand. In fact I have a pice of velcro on my gun and another on the call and it sticks to the gun. So all I have to do is push the button a bit to make it purr without having to let go of the gun.

Take my advice and stay away from fancy calling and stick with normal soft yelps, gentle clucks and lots of lovesick purrs. The biggest mistake many hunters make is to call to loud to often and calls they do not perform properly. Turkeys are not stupid, no animal is, they know what they sound like and when they use what sound. The surest way to spoil a hunt is to sound like a foraigner. It's a bit like me, I am a German speaking person and if I talk to much I give my accent away and everybody knows. If I stick to a few simple words I can be mistaken for a Canadian, it's the same with game animals.

Hope this will help you.

kishman
02-19-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm glad this one came up, this year will be my first turkey hunt, in fact it will be my first hunt of any kind:oops: . Turkeys are the reason I became intrested in hunting in the first place, and after going out and talking to guys in my local shop here in Abby. I've made some friends who've got me intrested in Goose and Duck hunting as well. Heck by this fall I'm sure I'll be out looking for deer and elk too. I guess my question is regarding calls, what are the easiest for the rookie to get the hang of? Are any of the dvd type instructional vids any good? Also; pluck or skinned? Anyway thanks for offering to help, sometimes finding hunting info can be tuff:mrgreen:

marcus44
02-19-2006, 10:30 PM
I am also looking forward to the upcoming Turkey Season. The first open season for region 8 starts April 15. Also just looking into getting involved with a local Turkey Federation.

Not to sure what to expect, but as time gets closer the more research I will do and hopefully be able to find myself a nice Tom. As for firearms usage I am going to be using my .17hmr, which should provide a bit of a challenge or possibly and advantage (longer shots), we shall soon see.

kishman
02-19-2006, 11:13 PM
That does sound like a challenge, but I guess if he stops for a sec bam!:mrgreen:
This being my first hunt I had to buy>>you guessed it! my first shotgun:razz:
As I am not made of money:neutral: and on the advice of couple friends (guns&ammo, waterfowler) I bought a Mossberg 835 turkey/waterfowl combo. should be here thurs.-fri. nothing fancy just went with what I thought could do what I wanted for the bucks that I had:???:

huntwriter
02-19-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm glad this one came up, this year will be my first turkey hunt, in fact it will be my first hunt of any kind:oops: . Turkeys are the reason I became intrested in hunting in the first place, and after going out and talking to guys in my local shop here in Abby. I've made some friends who've got me intrested in Goose and Duck hunting as well. Heck by this fall I'm sure I'll be out looking for deer and elk too. I guess my question is regarding calls, what are the easiest for the rookie to get the hang of? Are any of the dvd type instructional vids any good? Also; pluck or skinned? Anyway thanks for offering to help, sometimes finding hunting info can be tuff:mrgreen:
To your last question first. You can pluck or skin a turkey, both have their advantages and disatvantages. By skinning you remove the shell which keeps the meat moist and tender turing cooking but it is less time consuming and less messy. If you pluck a turky it is best done with a bucket of hot boiiling water. Pour it gently over the bird and then try to take of the tail and big wing feathers first. If they come of easy you can pluck the bird if not pour some more hot water over the bird. The plucking will mess up the turkey trophy which is the tail featers (fan) and the beard (long hair growing out of the chest) If you want to keep the beard and fan cut them first of leaving as much skin on them as needed.

If you talk about calling istructional videos then yes they are still good. However you want to keep your calls very simple. As a newbi to turkey hunting I would recommend that you stay away from mouth calls. I hunt turkeys for many years and never saw any need to use mouth calls, for me it takes to long to learn them and I gag on them too.

In my humble, experienced, opinion all you need is two locater calls. One of them should be crow call the other and much further reaching should be a pileated woodpecker call, these two birds are very common troughout North America and the turkeys respond well to them. As calling calls I would recommend that you get a wooden box call and a waterproof salte friction call and a push button call. All three of this calls are very easy to learn. The push button call serves as a close in call if you are ready with the gun but need the turkey to make one or two steps more. This call can be used with the gun at the ready as you need only one hand to produce calls. The slate call will work even if it is raining which is often the best time to hunt gobblers.

The calls you need are are easy to learn too, these are soft yelps, gentle clucks and purrs. The call instructions will tell you how to produce this calls. despite what "experts" will tell you stick to moderate calling not to agressieve and not to often. You have to use your cut feeling with that one and remember "experts" are mostly experts in selling you something.

Maybe we should get a few hunters together around Langley and I could give a free turkey calling seminar for you all here at HuntingBC.ca.
Seriously, if any of you are interested let me know and we make a time and place.:D

huntwriter
02-19-2006, 11:33 PM
That does sound like a challenge, but I guess if he stops for a sec bam!:mrgreen:
This being my first hunt I had to buy>>you guessed it! my first shotgun:razz:
As I am not made of money:neutral: and on the advice of couple friends (guns&ammo, waterfowler) I bought a Mossberg 835 turkey/waterfowl combo. should be here thurs.-fri. nothing fancy just went with what I thought could do what I wanted for the bucks that I had:???:
That's an exellent gun kishman. Nothing wrong with it. In fact it is the most sold turkey gun from Mossberg.

huntwriter
02-19-2006, 11:54 PM
I am also looking forward to the upcoming Turkey Season. The first open season for region 8 starts April 15. Also just looking into getting involved with a local Turkey Federation.

Not to sure what to expect, but as time gets closer the more research I will do and hopefully be able to find myself a nice Tom. As for firearms usage I am going to be using my .17hmr, which should provide a bit of a challenge or possibly and advantage (longer shots), we shall soon see.
Many turkeys are taken with rifles and more are missed. Sight your rifle very carefully so it will group consistently in a 3 inch circle at 50 yards. Avoid taking long shots at turkeys and always aim right at the center of the noggin. Shooting a turkey in the chest is not advisable for two reasons. First you are going to mess up the best meat on the whole bird if you hit it and that is a big if. A turkey in full strutt will look almost three times bigger than he actually is therefore the chances that you hit only feathers is greater than hitting the goody box. As an aditional point to conceder, even a mortally hit bird still can and will fly away. It is very rarely that a fleeing turkey is recovered, there are no blood trails to follow. In my time hunting turkeys I have found my fair share of lost dead turkeys and most of them have been mortally shot with a rifle or bow.

But a turkey can't fly away with his head blown off from a rifle bullet.;-) I also have hunted my fair share of turkeys with bow and arrow. A compound is best because you can hold it drawn for a long time which sometimes in necessary. The longest time I had to hold a bow drawn was surely close 20 minutes. I thertherefore lower the draw weight to around 45 to 50 lb.

To make sure the arrow does not pass trough, belife me you do not want an arrow to pass trough a turkey, I use my old blunt Magnus broadheads. Along the edge I cut large tryangles out. The broadhead looks now like a childs drawing of a Christmas tree. At the bottom of the broadhead I put the springy claws of a judo head to assist in stopping the arrow. There are speciall turkey broadheads you can buy but you also can make them with old broadheads at the fraction of the cost.

mrdoog
02-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Huntwriter, thanks for the info!
Now I've got some ideas of what calls and other goodies to add to my shopping list.

kishman
02-20-2006, 06:05 AM
Yes, thank you very much, and if you are ever intrested in teaching turkey calls to some of us newbies I am there:-D I do have a box call and a crow call, and they just got slate/pushbox calls in over at hub soI'll have a look on my days off, thanks again.

stanway
02-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Maybe we should get a few hunters together around Langley and I could give a free turkey calling seminar for you all here at HuntingBC.ca.
Seriously, if any of you are interested let me know and we make a time and place.:D

Sign me up for this seminar! I need to pick up some turkey calls - I have a crow call already.

Thanks again for all of the excellent information and advice!

James
:)

ratherbefishin
02-20-2006, 07:32 AM
''all of region 8 is going to be open''-is that only LEH or ''open season''?

marcus44
02-20-2006, 07:58 AM
''all of region 8 is going to be open''-is that only LEH or ''open season''?

No its an open season, with compulsorary reporting. No draws or tags needed just regular license.

marcus44
02-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the tips Huntwriter, every little bit helps. As for sighting my gun in, thats about usually where I have it sighted, 50 yrds with 5 shots in a nice tight pattern. This is going to be a good year.

CanAm500
02-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun to hunt and tasty too! Be nice to have some relocated to the Island.

In the core book it says we have some down in the Victoria region.

johnes50
02-20-2006, 11:50 AM
I've seen a black one walking on Luxton Rd., but found out it was a neighbors pet. She'd be mighty annoyed if I had it for supper. Besides that I haven't seen any or heard of more in the area. I've heard rumors of some on the South Island, but don't know where.

huntwriter
02-20-2006, 11:52 AM
I read that too but as hard as I searched for info on the web, including the NWTF, I could not find any confirmation on it.

It's quit possible that there are turkeys in the Victoria region but maye only a very small stray population which has not been officially recorded yet.

tmarschall
02-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Glad to hear about the upcoming season, I know how exciting it might be. Years ago I had to opportunity to chat with a guy who was locally known as Mr Turkey. He was the one who started a turkey population on Ft Hood Texas back in the 60's. He basically knew everything there was to know about turkeys. He described to me the "text book" turkey hunt. Lo and behold, a few weeks later I was able to have such a text book hunt... well... it was text book till the end. Ideally you want to find where they are roosting. You can listen just before dark, they will cackle and squak a little and gobble also just before flying up to their roost. But never got too close or chase them off their roost. They are "home bodies" as stated earlier and will generally return to the same roost unless they are chased off. Anyways, I was hunting this area with a couple of other guys. They came in to the hunt club one evening and told me where they were roosting. Said they heard several gobblers. Next morning I was out there about 30 minutes before first sunlight. I found an oak tree with lots of brush growing around the base of it, made for a perfect natural ground blind. I was about 100 yds from where they told me the roost was located. Just as the sunlight was beginning to show, I made a few yelps on my box call, waited about 30 seconds and repeated. I heard the gobbler reply immediately. (thats supposed to mean he was saying..."I know where you are honey, I'll be down shortly to pay you a visit") So, I figured I was all set. I just had to wait for him. A few minutes the whole flock started waking up, gobbles, clucks, yelps all over the place, I was really getting excited. Then I noticed the gobbles getting more distant. I heard them fly down from the roost, figured they were chasing the real thing up the draw. So I took off after them. BIG MISTAKE!!!! The faster I chased the faster they went, after a few hundred yards they shut up and I lots track of them, so I returned to my blind. As I came around a bush and my blind was in view, there was the tom, 5 yds from where I was sitting. He saw me of course and took off. Had I waited, things would have turned out differently. In summary, the watch word for turkey hunting is PATIENCE! The tactics i described work only for spring hunting, when the gobblers are after the hens. Locate the roost and you should be set. Good luck... want to read some success stories here soon... Tom

huntwriter
02-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Glad to hear about the upcoming season, I know how exciting it might be. Years ago I had to opportunity to chat with a guy who was locally known as Mr Turkey. He was the one who started a turkey population on Ft Hood Texas back in the 60's. He basically knew everything there was to know about turkeys. He described to me the "text book" turkey hunt. Lo and behold, a few weeks later I was able to have such a text book hunt... well... it was text book till the end. Ideally you want to find where they are roosting. You can listen just before dark, they will cackle and squak a little and gobble also just before flying up to their roost. But never got too close or chase them off their roost. They are "home bodies" as stated earlier and will generally return to the same roost unless they are chased off. Anyways, I was hunting this area with a couple of other guys. They came in to the hunt club one evening and told me where they were roosting. Said they heard several gobblers. Next morning I was out there about 30 minutes before first sunlight. I found an oak tree with lots of brush growing around the base of it, made for a perfect natural ground blind. I was about 100 yds from where they told me the roost was located. Just as the sunlight was beginning to show, I made a few yelps on my box call, waited about 30 seconds and repeated. I heard the gobbler reply immediately. (thats supposed to mean he was saying..."I know where you are honey, I'll be down shortly to pay you a visit") So, I figured I was all set. I just had to wait for him. A few minutes the whole flock started waking up, gobbles, clucks, yelps all over the place, I was really getting excited. Then I noticed the gobbles getting more distant. I heard them fly down from the roost, figured they were chasing the real thing up the draw. So I took off after them. BIG MISTAKE!!!! The faster I chased the faster they went, after a few hundred yards they shut up and I lots track of them, so I returned to my blind. As I came around a bush and my blind was in view, there was the tom, 5 yds from where I was sitting. He saw me of course and took off. Had I waited, things would have turned out differently. In summary, the watch word for turkey hunting is PATIENCE! The tactics i described work only for spring hunting, when the gobblers are after the hens. Locate the roost and you should be set. Good luck... want to read some success stories here soon... Tom
Rather than chasing the flock you should have run in a big circle out of the turkeys eye sight and ear shot and then set up again in front of them where they where heading.

That's turkey hunting for you. Sometimes you have to sit quit until your butt get numb only to have to get up and make the sprint of a lifetime. In many regards turkey hunting can be compared with elk hunting in this respect.

Given the chance I always set up on the short side of a turkey roosting tree. Which is a place where the turkeys have to come to me because the other side is blocked by a road, river or other structure that turkeys don't like.

Tuffcity
02-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Apparently the Region 8 turkey season was brought in at the request of the vineyard owners. Seems turkeys are very fond of grapes and can do a nasty number on the wine crop.

RC

huntwriter
02-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Apparently the Region 8 turkey season was brought in at the request of the vineyard owners. Seems turkeys are very fond of grapes and can do a nasty number on the wine crop.

RC

Personally I think that is a bit overdoing it on the part of the vineyard owners. It's a bit like the sheep farmers blame every dead sheep on the wolfs and coyotes and then research has shown that it is stray dogs that are to blame for the sheep casualties and not wolfs and coyotes.

Turkeys love berries in all its forms but they will mostly only take the onces laying on the ground or go as far up as their necks can reach. I am sure turkeys will come to a vine yard but I do not believe for one minute that they do "quit a number" on the vineyards. As I said in another post, turkeys are ground feeders. They do not fly or climb up to trees or bushes to feed. It's a heavy bird and although they are quit good and fast in the air they rather don't fly, not even up to a grapevine stock, if they have a choice.

CanAm500
02-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Ive seen one on the side of highway 18 in Duncan. Dunno if it was wild or not.

kishman
02-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Well it looks like we're well on our way to a class.......lolol;-)
Yet another question; I was over at my local shop the other day and had a look at the shotgun ammo, what size of shot do you guys use for turkey/geese? Also has anyone tried the actual "turkey load" ammo thats available from federal and a couple of others?
Mmmmmmmmm....grape fed turkey:tongue:

ruger#1
02-20-2006, 10:15 PM
its not just grapes. its all vegtables, and there is alot of turkeys in that area.they will compete for food that the quail grouse and pheasants eat, i wonder if cougars like turkey meat.srawberries are grown up there as well.

kishman
02-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Oh I'm sure all the cats like 'em just fine:wink:

palmer
02-20-2006, 10:44 PM
KISHMAN...get yourself some of those turkey loads in #4 or #2....I will get you within spitting distance....I was out today "horn" looking and counted over 40 toms in three groups....

kishman
02-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Wow:mrgreen: I tell ya I can hardly wait, I'll try both of those sizes and see which one my gun likes best.....over 40 toms:!: I was at my local shop here this week and one fella mentioned he'd heard the region 8 limit might be raised to 2 birds per season, has anyone heard anything?

palmer
02-21-2006, 12:03 AM
not heard anything like that...its our local awards dinner on Sat. I should hear there if it is true....Half the toms a saw today were Jakes but some were very nice toms with 8in. plus beards...

huntwriter
02-21-2006, 01:51 AM
Well it looks like we're well on our way to a class.......lolol;-)
Yet another question; I was over at my local shop the other day and had a look at the shotgun ammo, what size of shot do you guys use for turkey/geese? Also has anyone tried the actual "turkey load" ammo thats available from federal and a couple of others?
Mmmmmmmmm....grape fed turkey:tongue:
Hey kishman, I can tell on your avatar that the turkey bug has gotten to you. Good, I like it that makes two of us. I am adicted to turkeys for the last 15 years.

The best shot sizes for turkeys are #4, #5 and #6. Tests have shown that buffered loads of nickel or copper platted shot patterns best. These buffered loads prevent "flyers" caused by deformation when shot trough tight chokes.

I would not go much below or above shot sizes #4 or #6. The reason for this is that if you go smaller you might have not enough power to kill the bird. On the other hand if you go bigger the peletts might penetrate the chest of the bird too and then when you eat it you will have to spit pellets out.

The special "turkey loads" of any manufacturer are very good because they have been specifically designed for turkey hunting. If I shoot a new gun I usually try as many different amunition/choke combinations as possible until I arrive at a combination which shoots well out of that gun and then I begin the actual patterning of the load until the combination patterns tight out to 35 yards.

In my many years I have found that not all loads pattern well with a "turkey" choke. I recomend that you first start with a modiefied choke and then if needed progress to a full,- or extra full choke. Only if nothing provides you with a good consistant pattern try a special turkey chocke, but be reminded that this very tight chokes produce a hefty kick back that could leave your shoulder in fancy shades of blue, yellow and green after a day at the range.

Where legal I mount a turkey scope on my shotgun and where it is not legal I use TurGlo double beads sight. This sight is similar to a rifle sight, one bead is placed at the front and the second half way down the barrel. This gives you a better aim. Unlike in upland hunting where you point the gun by turkey hunting you aim the gun at the target.

You mention that this turns into a class. Well if anybody is interested my offer to give you all a free turkey hunting and calling seminar still stands for the members of HuntingBC.
If enough people are interested we just would have to make a date and place out that is convienient for everybody. I am open for suggestions.

sawmill
02-24-2006, 01:31 PM
I live in the east kooteny`s and we have a lot of turkey here,all you guys give them mythical powers of deception?Anything that makes that much noise on a late April morning is a hell of a lot easier to sneak up on than a deer or an elk.I`ve heard the idiots gobbling thier heads of at daybreak when I go shedding and they are totally oblivious to any distractions as long as you are stealthy.I`m going out this spring and I`ll post pics of the one I take by hunting them just like I hunt deer.Maybe.

kishman
02-24-2006, 02:58 PM
There should be some Turkey hunting gear at the tradex show this year maybe someone will have a calling seminar then?
P.S. still waiting for my new shotgun:evil:

Bigbuckadams
03-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Hi all, first post, hope I don't mess it up!! Sealevel, I am curious to know if your friend is looking for private land in the Winfield area to release birds? I have a good friend that runs a 2000-3000 acre ranch there and I would love to try talk the family into the idea.
I see no reason they would be against it, so let me know when you can. Time now to go and "manage" their coyote problem, lost another calf to them.

marcus44
03-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Hi all, first post, hope I don't mess it up!! Sealevel, I am curious to know if your friend is looking for private land in the Winfield area to release birds? I have a good friend that runs a 2000-3000 acre ranch there and I would love to try talk the family into the idea.
I see no reason they would be against it, so let me know when you can. Time now to go and "manage" their coyote problem, lost another calf to them.

Welcome to the thread. As a fellow k-towner let me know if you need any help "managing" the yote problem, wouldnt mind getting out for a few shots to help out, get a lil warm up for Turkey season.:grin:

sealevel
03-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Sawmill hunting turkeys like deer will get some turkey hunter shot.( i am not saying by you) i think if turkey hunters only shoot turks they CALL IN it will be a whole lot safer for us all. I am looking forward to hunting turks but am a little conserned about someone shooting my decoys and me.

huntwriter
03-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Sealevel - I advice you strongly NOT to use turkey decoys on land where other hunters have access too. The most common cause for shooting accidents occur with turkey decoy use.

Since the decoys look like a real turkey they often get mistaken and shot at. In America where I hunt often for gobblers some states have outlawed the use of decoys on public land for that reason.

sawmill - Toms allways gobble most early in the morning but that don't ean you just can walk up to them and shoot them like fish in a barrel. They are loud but they are not stupid. Stalking a turkey is a lot thougher than stalking a deer. Compared to a turkeys eyesight a deer is blind.
Besides it is not safe to do so, as sealevel pointed out, the safest way to hunt turkeys is to call them to you and find a thick tree to leand against. That wil keep your back side safe from other hunters.

Here in BC the turkey has not wised up to hunters yet and thus it will not be as hard to make a bird come to your calls. But next year will be a very different story. Turkeys learn fast and become one of the thoughest critters to hunt. Don't take my word for it ask any hunter south of the border who hunts deer, elk and turkey. They will tell you without hesitation that the toms are smarter in avoiding hunters than any other critter.

sealevel
03-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Huntwriter i was told that you needed decoys to get a tom to come in.But before the season opens i hope to have some private lant to hunt on.but if not i will just have to get off by myself some ware.Sure glad you are around to tell us these things. I am going after them with my pionty stick i just got some magnus stinger and put some muzzy grasshoppers behind them.

huntwriter
03-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Huntwriter i was told that you needed decoys to get a tom to come in.But before the season opens i hope to have some private lant to hunt on.but if not i will just have to get off by myself some ware.Sure glad you are around to tell us these things. I am going after them with my pionty stick i just got some magnus stinger and put some muzzy grasshoppers behind them.
I bet who ever told you that, also sold turkey decoy's.:smile: I went to the Tradex today and catched up with my old buddy Wayne Carlton. Intrestingly we where talking about just that subject of using decoys or not using them.

I have called turkeys to me for 15 years and only used decoy's two times and one time the decoy scared the tom away. That was my fault, I neglected to anchor the decoy properly and just as the tom came around the corner a wind gust gave the decoy a good old wirl. The poor tom almost got a heart attack, turned inside out swapped ends and run off to places unknown.

Here is a little trick I use when hunting for turkeys. Don't set up where you can see for a long way because that means the tom can see for a long way too and boy do they have an eyesight. He can see where the call comes from but he can't see the hen and will instantly know something is not right. Instead set up on a tom just around a woodland or field corner or just below a ridge top. That way the turkey has to walk within shotgun range in order to see where the call came from, by the time he can see that he has been bluffed it's to late.

Just make sure you listen carefully between calling segments and get the gun up. Once you hear him gobble close by or hear him drumming get ready because if you are not ready he wont stick around for too long.

Good luck sealevel, I hope you will get your first BC turkey this year.

kishman
03-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Once again Huntwriter, thanks for the tips;)

Corey,

ratherbefishin
03-05-2006, 08:10 AM
I don't have a copy of the regs handy-but can you use a 22 lr, or 22 magnum for turkey hunting,or must you use a shot gun?I have a tack driving 22 brno with a 4X scope that I would feel totally confident of making head shots out to 50 yards.

Fred
03-05-2006, 09:27 AM
That is an interesting question Rbf. The Turkey is listed as an Upland Game bird isn't it and we can use a 22 or a M/L on other Upland birds. Fred

ratherbefishin
03-05-2006, 09:37 AM
I've shot the heads off an awful lot of grouse with that little BRNO 22-and if it's legal-I don't see why it wouldn't be just as effective on a turkey.One thing with a 22 head shot-you either kill them outright or you miss -no cripples

boxhitch
03-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Page 16 in the regs - rimfire ok for grouse, ptarmigan or turkey, only. Centerfire ok for grouse and ptarmigan only. Neither can be used on partridge, chukar, pheasant, quail etc.

ratherbefishin
03-05-2006, 10:48 AM
in that case,I'd choose my 22 magnum, it's got a little more snap to it, but as long as I didn't take shots over 50 yards,I 'm confident of making a clean kill..Now-the question is- where to find a spot to hunt turkeys?-my son lives in Kelowna and I'm due for a visit

kishman
03-05-2006, 12:59 PM
in that case,I'd choose my 22 magnum, it's got a little more snap to it, but as long as I didn't take shots over 50 yards,I 'm confident of making a clean kill..Now-the question is- where to find a spot to hunt turkeys?-my son lives in Kelowna and I'm due for a visit

I think you have to go a little farther east, anywhere east of Greenwood seems to have them, also the farther south the better (I'm told this, this is my first Turkey hunt as well):grin:

ratherbefishin
03-05-2006, 04:19 PM
somebody said there was a flock around Winfield-but I'm not sure if there is any crown land around there available for public hunting

huntwriter
03-05-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't have a copy of the regs handy-but can you use a 22 lr, or 22 magnum for turkey hunting,or must you use a shot gun?I have a tack driving 22 brno with a 4X scope that I would feel totally confident of making head shots out to 50 yards.

A lot of turkeys are taken south of the border with small calibre rifels every year. These rifles work fine provided you can hit a very small target with it. If you are confident, as you say, to take pinpoint shots at grouse heads than a turkey should look like an elephant head to you.:-D

It's a good idea to use a scope with the rifle as it gives you that little bit more target assurance. If you can you also should use some sort of gun rest, like a bipod or cross sticks as it is very important to get the rifle as close to bench rest stability as possible. But I am sure you know that already.

Go get one!

kishman
03-06-2006, 12:49 AM
It's neat to see this come up, I like the idea of putting meat on the table with my "little" 10/.22. It's got a Bushnell 4x scope on it, I shoot it regularly, always with the same ammo (cci blaser 40 gr. solid). Inside 50 yards I'd be very confidant with this set-up, but I'd probably wait for something more like 40 yards just to be sure:D .

Fred
03-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Rbf, there is supposed to be a pretty fair sized flock in the Midway area and eastward. Fred

ratherbefishin
03-06-2006, 07:37 AM
fred-is there any land open to public hunting in the Midway -east area?

Fred
03-06-2006, 10:20 AM
There is a lot of crown land up there. I can't tell you where the exact bounderies are but for the most part, if it is unfenced it is likely open. Fred