PDA

View Full Version : Got Regulation concerns or question I have the contact!!

curt
01-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi all there has been alot of speculation on proposed seasons and issue brought up on this forum with regards to hunting seasons and such. I did some poking around on the internet sent a few emails and beleive it or not I was taking back by the quick response, and personal phone call by the "SENIOR PROJECT OFFICER" in charge of the hunting regs. If anyone has any concerns or question by all means PM me and I will send you in the right direction. The gentlemen was very personable and great on clarifying some of my questions and cocncerns we spoke for 45mins. I have his name and direct contact number in Victoria, I did ask if he minded I keep the number for future questions he had absolutely no problem with that. I can help if you need some clarification just let me know.
Curt

peterrum3
01-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Good work Curt. It might be better if you be the only contact that way the guy isnt getting 30-40 phone calls a day from interested parties on this site. The guy would never get his work done:mrgreen:

Was there anything of interest from your chat?

curt
01-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Well he seemed more than willing to chat with any interested parties and yes there was some interesting stuff
- approximately 80 less LEH draws for various seasons, the flip side the reason the LEH are gone is more open seasons coming!!
- harminizing season, for example regions 3-4-8 deer seasons will open and close at the same time so we wont be over preassuring regions
- simplying regs, example they are eliminating the zones in regions-

In his words as close to verbatten as i can remember

" we have been looking at the regs over the past few years however last year was an election year so we couldnt do anything drastic. One of our big issue's is most of the regs were set out in the 1980"s and back then they made sense but now they dont!?!?!? I think you will be very happy with some of our new changes.. more seasons more opportunity for everyone"

- and he confirmed some drastic elk changes for region 4 as well way more deer seasons coming too with open doe in areas>>>>if ican remember anything else I will post it no problem, I'm personally excited from our conversation!!

300win
01-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the insight Curt,Cheers!!!!

Muleycatcher
01-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Wow, sounds encouraging!!

Jelvis
01-20-2010, 10:01 PM
3-4-and 8 harmonizing seasons on deer to reduce pressure sounds scary.
Maybe nov 10 to 20 close in 3 too? That would hit you 3 hunters hard.
talk @ me now, C'mon what harmony.......??????????????????????????????
sounds like a different tune, lol.

curt
01-20-2010, 10:12 PM
well jelvis i was trying to be positive and think this means 8 and 4 will be open later but i will call and clarify that wouls suck as* if they closed both season 3,4 to mirror the crappy region 8 seasons

behemoth
01-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Did he mention what sort of LEH would be eliminated? Species, regions, etc...

Gateholio
01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
I've been hearing about harmonized deer seasons for a bit now. Close Nov 30 or Dec 15 is what I've been hearing.:-D

humble hunter
01-20-2010, 10:35 PM
eliminating the zones in regs? How will that work with the sheep hunts and the infamous zone X in the EK for elk? Are you sure one of your buddies is not playing you?

Jelvis
01-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Closing those zones would be excellent, making it much simpler and less scary, knowing all the boundary borders could be anxiety and doubt, and that is'nt good, so someone got the picture and was innovative and dynamic, that's what I like about the mind set in B.C. people.
Now the leh will be easier to sell and more popular to present.
Win/win.
jel that's only my opinion of cour$e..

r106
01-20-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm excited about a GOS on doe's. I'm a newb and that would make it alot easier to harvest my first big game
________
MAZDA 929 SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_929)

curt
01-21-2010, 10:59 AM
The senior project officer told me there are 4 areas of interest they are looking at addressing this year

-1 simplifying regulations eg. eliminating zones in mu's he didnt specify if all or just some, but that is in fact his comment he mentioned that some of the reasons for zones were to protect certain herds from being over harvested. "research has shown over the past decade there is no need or benefit to manage the herds in this manner anymore" this is just a short recap of our talk!
-2 harminizing seasons again he didnt mention all but did specifically tell me region 3,4,8 will open and close at the same time for mule deer.... however i neglected to ask earlier or later sh*T sorry my bad!?!
-3 managing budgets he did not elaberate on this point much only said this was an internal issue, however he did say they have honestly not had the funds over the past few years to do extensive field studies in certain areas to compile the level of accurate data on the herds he likes.(On a side note I asked about issue around region 5 mule deer season he told me "although the herd seems to be healthy and stable the buck to doe ratio is considerably lower in some ares of region 5 than we like to see. We like to have a minimum of 20 bucks per 100 does in in some areas the data show as few as 13"
-4 as much as I hate to look like an ass i honestly cant remember what the last area of concern was I will at some point call him back and ask if for nothing else my own sense of mind I hate forgetting stuff. Hope some of this info is helpful.

BCrams
01-21-2010, 11:12 AM
The senior project officer told me there are 4 areas of interest they are looking at addressing this year

-1 simplifying regulations eg. eliminating zones in mu's he didnt specify if all or just some, but that is in fact his comment he mentioned that some of the reasons for zones were to protect certain herds from being over harvested. "research has shown over the past decade there is no need or benefit to manage the herds in this manner anymore" this is just a short recap of our talk!
-2 harminizing seasons again he didnt mention all but did specifically tell me region 3,4,8 will open and close at the same time for mule deer.... however i neglected to ask earlier or later sh*T sorry my bad!?!
-3 managing budgets he did not elaberate on this point much only said this was an internal issue, however he did say they have honestly not had the funds over the past few years to do extensive field studies in certain areas to compile the level of accurate data on the herds he likes.(On a side note I asked about issue around region 5 mule deer season he told me "although the herd seems to be healthy and stable the buck to doe ratio is considerably lower in some ares of region 5 than we like to see. We like to have a minimum of 20 bucks per 100 does in in some areas the data show as few as 13"
-4 as much as I hate to look like an ass i honestly cant remember what the last area of concern was I will at some point call him back and ask if for nothing else my own sense of mind I hate forgetting stuff. Hope some of this info is helpful.

Next time you two chat:

Ask him about the 'bias' regarding the Region 5 mule deer surveys. Even if it were 13 bucks / 100 does, it does not hurt the health of the population. I'd say the ratio's are better than stated. It isn't easy counting mule deer bucks in the timber when you're flying the open grasslands :wink: The does are still getting bred. The herds are healthy ..... why the changes "again".

Harmonizing the seasons for mule deer ....... definatly should be later. Not earlier....I'd clarify that one.

Ask him if there are plans to introduce LEH mule deer hunts in the future? i.e., during the current Region 5 rut closure or if they will open it back up to be included in the GOS.