PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a newbie.

marcus44
02-19-2006, 04:36 AM
Hey all, fairly new to the site and must say it is great. Love all the posts and pics. Just itching to get back into the bush and go hunting. Looking forward to the upcoming Turkey season here in the Okanagan.

Also looking forward to trying to find some sheds and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some tips as to what to do when shed hunting. Where to look? Anything particular to watch in ways of areas of looking? Just anything that might help a rookie shed hunter. Also, what to do with any sheds you find. Will people buy them or is just more for personal collection?

Thanks for any help
Marcus

CanuckShooter
02-19-2006, 05:57 AM
Tips for shed hunting.

1>> Go out into the country...generally you'll find more there as the deer don't hang around the malls all that much !

2>> Look on the ground as most sheds will fall in that direction.

3>> Sorry but I couldn't resist, welcome to the site Newbie!

Ronforca
02-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Welcome to the site Marcus44.Lots of good people and good info on this site.

marcus44
02-19-2006, 08:43 AM
LOL Thanks for the tip CS.... although I have seen a nice buck near the new Walmart here.... but mind you that was a few years back b4 it was built.... A nice 4x4 pt whitey.... Thanks for the welcome... I guess I deserved the smarta$$ comments... lol

steveo32
02-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Tips for shed hunting are

1. Find the deers winter range for mule deer it is usually a nice rolling fir stand.

2.Look for fresh rubs ya the rut is over but the bucks still rub trying to knock their antlers off!

3. Dont get fustrated it is a hard sport to do but after a while you will get the eye for it!!!

P.s. if you are finding old sheds then you are in the area try looking a little higher in elevation might not be as much snow that year so they might shed higher!!!

I found 6 yesterday with one being fresh (watched the buck drop the horn!!!) he bedded in my boot tracks from the morning and i saw him stand then shake his head and leave me a nice 75" to 80" 5point muley shed!!! I now have 2 years off this same buck!

I will get mattb to post some pics whne he gets back from a shed hunting trip to sask.

steve

moose hunter
02-19-2006, 11:58 AM
:biggrin: shed hunting is fairly easy although for doing it for 2 years i have only found 3 moose(huge one) and a few little spikes from some mulies, but ive never gone anywhere just in the bush beside my house ive had a few run ins from the moose that shedded those and im still looking for this years because he was huge had a tri palm on both sides bout 10 points on the paddles

steveo32
02-19-2006, 02:05 PM
I have to not agree with you moose hunter moose shed hunting is easy because they are so damn big!!! But it all comes down to if you know where the deer winter then the sheds should come bucks are usually a little higher then does but usually close!! The shed i found yester day was in 2 feet of snow so they are hard to find right now!!

steve